The OCZ Vertex 3 Thread

Associate
Ok I have been having some rather irritating and worrying problems all through today installing Windows on this drive.

Continuously I am having a problem where I will be performing multiple tasks at once (something which should be faster on an SSD right?), by this I simply mean browsing the web, using a utlity and browsing explorer.exe. When it just hangs, everything stops, explorer still responds and I can open up Windows, but data hangs, internet pages don't load, file transfers stop etc. Then all of a sudden it picks up and carries on.

Anyone else having this?

Soldato
Well after not being able to install in AHCI mode i just had to make do with raid mode but no raid drives.

Here are my scores... I dont know if these are good or bad ??

unledic.png

Associate
Goodness me! It's been one thing after the other! I wanted to try other drivers out, uninstall the existing ones and BSOD at startup, safemode etc made no difference. So I think right I'll secure erase. Ha. That turned out to be a 2 hour journey for nothing, my motherboard was having none of it with the security lock. So now I have to reinstall Windows 7 again just with a quick format.

This won't degrade the peformance will it? Crying out loud I only wanted to try another driver lol.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the link! However I would like to point out it's actually version 1.2.0.1002.

Here is a Google Translation from the website:

"After version 1.0.0.1051 WHQL version, here today version 1.2.0.1002 WHQL 88SE91xx Marvell chipsets (eg: 9128.9123), not Raid Raid XP/Vista/7 Windows 32 or 64bit.
No information about the improvements but he first saw an improvement in startup.
For information, TRIM and supported since version 1.0.0.1051."

At least we know it supports TRIM!

The 1051 drivers look good to me and I'm sticking with them.

Soldato
You can bypass the "security lock" by removing the SSD's power cable after you've booted to Windows (or whatever OS you're using to run the Secure Erase) and plugging it back in again.

Associate
The 1051 drivers look good to me and I'm sticking with them.

I have tried out about 5 different drivers and 1034 seem to be best atm.

1.2.0.1002 were awful for me, very inconsistent results and slower overall.

I found 1051 to be simalar, but not as bad, but seeing as though you think they are great I will try them again to see if it was just a one off fluke.

Soldato
Currently have 2*Intel 80GB SSDs in RAID 0 - damn quick!

Very tempted by one of these however I was the 6 core sandy bridge and some proper 6GB love!

Why do people use SecureErase? I just have an image prepped to format the drive!

Associate
Apologies for the zero posts (long time occasional lurker) ...

Received my Vertex 3 120GB from OCUK today along with 2600K/Asus P8P67/16GB RipJawsX. I've managed not to break anything yet, which is always a good sign.

Installed Win7 and run a quick benchmark in ATTO, results look fairly respectable for a 120 (I think):

vertex3bench.png

Last edited:
Associate
Apologies for the zero posts (long time occasional lurker) ...

Received my Vertex 3 120GB from OCUK today along with 2600K/Asus P8P67/16GB RipJawsX. I've managed not to break anything yet, which is always a good sign.

Installed Win7 and run a quick benchmark in ATTO, results look fairly respectable for a 120 (I think):

Nice one mate :D

Associate
I think I may end up sticking these in the Intel SATA II ports. The Marvell controller truely is awful. Having trouble hitting 150MB/s on seq write, I did hit 170MB/s but now it's simply not happening. This drive should be able to go up to 500MB/s on the seq write. How can they even call it a SATA 6Gb/s controller?

Soldato
I think I may end up sticking these in the Intel SATA II ports. The Marvell controller truely is awful. Having trouble hitting 150MB/s on seq write, I did hit 170MB/s but now it's simply not happening. This drive should be able to go up to 500MB/s on the seq write. How can they even call it a SATA 6Gb/s controller?

Your using ATTO? Crystal etc gives me 170 write but it's BS.

Back
Top Bottom