*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Associate
Will there really. Why? You think Tyson would sabotage his legacy because Jake Paul offers him some more cash? Come on man. Use your head.

Why do some people believe everything is a conspiracy.
For starters they are using 18oz gloves for the fight instead of 10oz, in sparring before a fight boxers usually use 14oz so as to help prevent injury. 18oz gloves will be like boxing with pillows on your fist.

Tyson v Jones there was a no knockout rule that is common knowledge

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbf, Tyson is only going to have a bit of power for 1 or 2 rounds, then he'll be totally finished, gassed, and just done.

I really don't want this fight to happen, I'll likely watch it for it's freak-show curiosity value, but I really don't want it to happen..

Associate
Well Joyce looked awful, somehow even slower than in the past

bh187-spiderman.gif

Soldato
he's 58. Add on he looked washed in his last proper fight twenty years ago, that at the moment he's just smoking endless amount of weed or doing mushrooms and he was seen walking with a cane a few years ago....

Father Time is undefeated, for a reason. Notice how it's nothing but little sped up short clips coming out. If, and it's a flipping big if, he can still throw those combinations he's going to need a huge breather in between and during rounds.

The aura Tyson has got is bonkers lol. Lost more or less every fight agaisnt high level competition and quit on his stool 20 years ago and people are acting like he is immune to aging.

For context, this is Holyfield at the same age that Tyson will be getting touched up by someone who didn't deserve to be in the ring with him. And Holyfield was better than Tyson... I don't think people realise how much Tyson relied on his athleticism. He is not the guy who he was 30+ years ago. Though Paul isn't anything to pay attention to as a boxer he is still someone almost half of Mikes age who has been practicing boxing the last few years and probably juiced to the gills.

It's a sham fight and I'm just sad Mike has had to take it. DK really screwed him over.

Last edited:
Soldato
he's 58. Add on he looked washed in his last proper fight twenty years ago, that at the moment he's just smoking endless amount of weed or doing mushrooms and he was seen walking with a cane a few years ago....

Father Time is undefeated, for a reason. Notice how it's nothing but little sped up short clips coming out. If, and it's a flipping big if, he can still throw those combinations he's going to need a huge breather in between and during rounds.

The aura Tyson has got is bonkers lol. Lost more or less every fight agaisnt high level competition and quit on his stool 20 years ago and people are acting like he is immune to aging.

For context, this is Holyfield at the same age that Tyson will be getting touched up by someone who didn't deserve to be in the ring with him. And Holyfield was better than Tyson... I don't think people realise how much Tyson relied on his athleticism. He is not the guy who he was 30+ years ago. Though Paul isn't anything to pay attention to as a boxer he is still someone almost half of Mikes age who has been practicing boxing the last few years and probably juiced to the gills.

It's a sham fight and I'm just sad Mike has had to take it. DK really screwed him over.

Holyfield was simply an outstanding fighter. Arguably the best cruiser weight of all and one of the best heavyweights. Holyfield sadly had way too many wars (anyone remember the Cooper and Bowe fights?) and the results had caught up to him before his retirement. That’s not the case with Tyson, he’s relatively fresh by comparison.

I think my overall feeling is similar to your own. Tyson vs Paul is a particularly sad day for boxing.

Jake Paul can’t fight, he’s useless and I think the people around him should keep this in mind, because he will get hurt at some point. Elite level fighters are special beasts.

Soldato
Holyfield was simply an outstanding fighter. Arguably the best cruiser weight of all and one of the best heavyweights. Holyfield sadly had way too many wars (anyone remember the Cooper and Bowe fights?) and the results had caught up to him before his retirement. That’s not the case with Tyson, he’s relatively fresh by comparison.

I think my overall feeling is similar to your own. Tyson vs Paul is a particularly sad day for boxing.

Jake Paul can’t fight, he’s useless and I think the people around him should keep this in mind, because he will get hurt at some point. Elite level fighters are special beasts.

Holyfield vs Foreman. All I need to say is Eesh!

Soldato
Honestly, that sums up my feelings to a tee.
That's basically what I was saying earlier in the thread. Paul is not a professional fighter in my eyes, even if he technically is classed as a professional. He is a professional marketer and he's doing what he does best, so I don't hate the guy. I just don't think he should be proud of his 'record', he's a Youtuber who is cashing in, that's all.

Would love to see him in the ring with Froch!

Last edited:
Soldato
That's basically what I was saying earlier in the thread. Paul is not a professional fighter in my eyes, even if he technically is classed as a professional. He is a professional marketer and he's doing what he does best, so I don't hate the guy. I just don't think he should be proud of his 'record', he's a Youtuber who is cashing in, that's all.

Would love to see him in the ring with Froch!

I stand by my stance that he is a professional boxer. At what point do you consider someone to be 'professional' in your eyes?

Jake is officially registered as a cruiserweight, of which there are 1230 ranked cruiserweights around the world registered on BoxRec. Jake is currently ranked 104/1230. Are you of the opinion that unless someone is ranked in the top 100, 50, 25? in the world that they're not a proper pro?

What is a 'professional' boxer? Is it not governed by fighting under the Marquess of Queensberry Rules for a prize? Prize fighting?

Last edited:
Soldato
I stand by my stance that he is a professional boxer. At what point do you consider someone to be 'professional' in your eyes?

Jake is officially registered as a cruiserweight, of which there are 1230 ranked cruiserweights around the world registered on BoxRec. Jake is currently ranked 104/1230. Are you of the opinion that unless someone is ranked in the top 100, 50, 25? in the world that they're not a proper pro?
Someone who has fought more than one actual boxer and who's 'record' isn't full of guys who wanted pay days in staged fights. Woodley practically admitted he was entertaining for the money. Askren went down without the punch properly connecting.

Tyson is obviously doing it for the money also.

Maybe my point is better articulated by me saying that he's not a credible boxer.

Question - would have have got any of those fights if the fights were based on his boxing ability and not his cash generating ability?

Last edited:
Soldato
Someone who has fought more than one actual boxer and who's 'record' isn't full of guys who wanted pay days in staged fights. Woodley practically admitted he was entertaining for the money. Askren went down without the punch properly connecting.

He's fought 2 boxers. He's 1-1. I'm not saying he is a good professional but he quite literally a professional boxer.

hhZNVaJ.png

This is one of our current Cruiserweight world champions first 10 fights. He didn't fight anyone with a winning record until his 10th bout.

Are you saying CBS wasn't a professional boxer for those 10 fights? Jake is doing exactly what most professional boxers do in the first few fights the difference is he has the spotlight on him.

Soldato
I've edited my post above, I'm not really wanting to get into a big debate about technicalities. Let's leave it at that, I'm happy to be wrong.

I will ask, how many professional boxers in their 20s have boxed against 60 year olds?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not even a technicality. You have a bee in your bonnet about him being a YouTuber due to the level of opposition he has fought in his first 10 fights when the reality is if you look at any of your favourite boxers, especially ones without an extensive amateur career, they probably have done the same. Fighting journey men who have come to find a comfortable space on in the ring to lay down or just survive the rounds.

Canelo didn't fight anyone with a winning record until fight 24. Anthony Yarde has been in there with Kovalev and Beterbiev and his last fight was against a part time fireman...

Holding him to a different standard that most 'professional boxers' don't even adhere to is wild and unfair.

Not liking the guy cause he's a total idiot is one thing but you can't dismiss him as just a YouTuber when it's clear he is more than that at this point.

xhaUMOI.png

Look at Froch's first 10 fights. A who's who of nobodies. You can make a very credible argument that beating MMA fighters like Silva has been harder than the puddings most pros pad their records with at the start of their professional career.

This is not to say that Paul will do anything of note. I doubt he could even do well in a NA Regional belt. But he is professional boxer and doing what pros do.

Last edited:
Soldato

What is a 'professional' boxer? Is it not governed by fighting under the Marquess of Queensberry Rules for a prize? Prize fighting?

I suppose a boxer whose main source of income is boxing and goal is progressing through bona fide rankings of recognised governing bodies. Technically Paul is in the pro ranks.

IMO, Jake Paul is 0 for 1 as Fury is his only professional* match so far. At least in my eyes.

Soldato
I suppose a boxer whose main source of income is boxing and goal is progressing through bona fide rankings of recognised governing bodies. Technically Paul is in the pro ranks.

IMO, Jake Paul is 0 for 1 as Fury is his only professional* match so far. At least in my eyes.

So as per my examples above. Canelo wasn't technically a pro until his 24th fight or Froch until his 10th? Pauls last opponent was 17-2-0. A journeyman, yes. But a journeyman with a more credible record that some of Carls first opponents.

I'm starting to come across like I'm a fan of his. I'm not. I appreciate what he has done, especially for womens boxing and fighter pay, but my admiration stops there. But it isn't fair to say he's not a professional boxer when he does exactly the same as other professional fights the main difference is that he has a huge spotlight on him and platform available to him but that isn't necessarily his fault, he built a brand.

Soldato
So as per my examples above. Canelo wasn't technically a pro until his 24th fight or Froch until his 10th? Pauls last opponent was 17-2-0. A journeyman, yes. But a journeyman with a more credible record that some of Carls first opponents.

I'm starting to come across like I'm a fan of his. I'm not. I appreciate what he has done, especially for womens boxing and fighter pay, but my admiration stops there. But it isn't fair to say he's not a professional boxer when he does exactly the same as other professional fights the main difference is that he has a huge spotlight on him and platform available to him but that isn't necessarily his fault, he built a brand.

Not at all, I accept Paul is a professional fighter, I was talking in a wider sense. Paul’s only fight of note IMO, was Fury. That is the closest reasonably matched sanctioned bout over a decent distance.

Paul’s other fights were no better than televised local gym sessions. For me the question is one of talent, ability and potential. Jake Paul has displayed little of anything other than the will of stepping in the ring. I think this is what gets up peoples nose and the reason people like Carl Froch question the validity of Paul claims. Froch has a point though Paul is a useless boxer and looks a complete novice with very little in the way of talent.

As you asked, could Paul win an area title? Or would a more talented Plumber from Coventry, working 50 hours a week while holding down family life and training 10 hours a week just walk all over him after fixing a toilet the same day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom