• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I was going to ask if the PS5 Pro was worth waiting for but I found out this afternoon that Amazon Prime members can get the PS5 Slim (with disc) for £389 with a £20 discount on the current price just for Prime Members.

If the PS5 Pro comes out for the holiday season, i.e.Thanksgiving time, that's what, 7-8 months away? So PS5 Slim for £389? Worth going for now?

No one really knows at this point.

Consider worst case, you absolutely need the pro for some reason, then you'd have to sell that for a bit less than you paid probably, but it's not going to be zero.

I think many will not bother with the PRO unless buying new or die hard players.

Soldato
No one really knows at this point.

Consider worst case, you absolutely need the pro for some reason, then you'd have to sell that for a bit less than you paid probably, but it's not going to be zero.

I think many will not bother with the PRO unless buying new or die hard players.
I am not a die-hard PS5 player by any means. Obviously we don't know the exact release date of the PS5 Pro nor its UK cost on release. Then there's availability to take into account. It might be early 2025 before the PS5 Pro is easy to get.
Much like the PS4 Pro I can't see it being a huge leap, certainly some of the supposed specs are quite fanciful.
Yeah I can't see the PS5 Pro being such a massive leap over the PS5 Slim as to make it worth a) waiting and b) the extra price.

Soldato
I was going to ask if the PS5 Pro was worth waiting for but I found out this afternoon that Amazon Prime members can get the PS5 Slim (with disc) for £389 with a £20 discount on the current price just for Prime Members.

If the PS5 Pro comes out for the holiday season, i.e.Thanksgiving time, that's what, 7-8 months away? So PS5 Slim for £389? Worth going for now?
I picked one up over the weekend - it's more than powerful enough for my needs, and I'm happier to get the extra gaming time in than wait for the Pro

Soldato
I seem to have lost my Dongle for my Pulse headset, anyone know if they're universal if I buy another?
I think there are ones you can get but they look like you have to whack something in the controller/ headset (dont know) as well so it can connect.

Replacement official dongles are twenty quid though from the PS store and other places. I'd get one of those if it were me rather than faff about.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm struggling to find a reason for the pro to exist if it's not going to fix all the 30fps games, which it probably can't with that slow cpu

the ps4 pro ushered in the era of HDR and 4k , ps5 pro doesn't bring anything new, it's just more of the same, maybe games might run slightly higher resolution than now or the game's might use slightly higher RT effects but that's it.

Dont buy into the claims of like double RT performance being worthy of interest- double of nothing is still nothing and most games with RT effects on ps5 run at quarter resolution- so if you have a game at 1080p internal with RT on the RT effects are rendered at like 480p and then you double that, you still get a low resolution that looks nothing like the native 4k RT effects on PC

Soldato
I picked one up over the weekend - it's more than powerful enough for my needs, and I'm happier to get the extra gaming time in than wait for the Pro
My thoughts exactly. I can't see me wanting to play a new PS5 game that will run better on the Pro. Like you I'm happy to have a PS5 now, do some gaming rather than wait until end of the year/2025 for a Pro.

My PS5 should be here today at some point. :)

Soldato
I'm struggling to find a reason for the pro to exist if it's not going to fix all the 30fps games, which it probably can't with that slow cpu

I’ll reserve judgement until it’s unveiled but it’s not sounding particularly impressive based on the deeper dive into the tech specs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tom Henderson says Sony has started an investigation due to 3rd party developers leaking the PS5 Pro specs, and there may be punishment dealt out such as revoking access to 3rd parties

Last edited:
Associate
I think there are ones you can get but they look like you have to whack something in the controller/ headset (dont know) as well so it can connect.

Replacement official dongles are twenty quid though from the PS store and other places. I'd get one of those if it were me rather than faff about.
Thanks I'll go that route!

Soldato
DF seem to be inclined to agree, other than the new upscaling tech which could be interesting (but actually will it now considering the Pro specs architecture is now known?).

Plus games will have to be manually patched in some cases to make use of any improvements.
As opposed to just flicking a setting in the menu and it just working regardless.

Soldato
The GPU looks quite a substantial upgrade but hampered by the CPU. But if they are relying on a custom hardware up scaling solution it will probably offset some of that. That alone is probably going to be a bit of a game changer I think. Although not a fair comparison as they aren’t built for the same exact tasks, if you look at Apple’s M3 Neural Engine it is rated at 18 TOPS. This custom chip is supposedly 300….!

Associate

the ps4 pro ushered in the era of HDR and 4k , ps5 pro doesn't bring anything new, it's just more of the same, maybe games might run slightly higher resolution than now or the game's might use slightly higher RT effects but that's it.

Dont buy into the claims of like double RT performance being worthy of interest- double of nothing is still nothing and most games with RT effects on ps5 run at quarter resolution- so if you have a game at 1080p internal with RT on the RT effects are rendered at like 480p and then you double that, you still get a low resolution that looks nothing like the native 4k RT effects on PC
It's not about that it's about epeen essentially. Imagine some kids in high school,and some of them have PS5 'PRO'. Kid A: what you got? Kid B: PS5 PRO. Kid A: Oh sick I've only got the 'normal' one (or even worse an Xbox) They are automatically inferior. If you didn't have a Playstation when I was in school,some people literally wouldn't talk to you lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
DF confirmed the ps5 pro has an extra 1.2GB of VRAM cache available to games. It's not clear how they delivered this because the console is still just 16gb like the base console, but the theory is they've done the same they did with the ps4 pro, which is added some ddr4 or ddr5 ram onto the motherboard and the OS and all low power background apps will be loaded into those slow RAM, while only the game goes into VRAM

The extra 1.2GB is needed because of RT. Ray effects are memory heavy so increasing quality requires more memory and also the PSSR upscaler requires 250mb memory, so it's around 1gb extra memory for RT effects and the rest for the upscaler

Associate
Some people just have to have the latest and greatest, console or pc, new shiny tech is lovely to hold, and use, we are all guilty of that to a degree.
I personally cannot see any reason to get the new pro atm, maybe the upcoming GTA game may be the catalyst that will push people into owning a pro, we don't know yet, still interesting times.

Associate
Some people just have to have the latest and greatest, console or pc, new shiny tech is lovely to hold, and use, we are all guilty of that to a degree.
I personally cannot see any reason to get the new pro atm, maybe the upcoming GTA game may be the catalyst that will push people into owning a pro, we don't know yet, still interesting times.

Yeah, I suspect GTA6 will be a driving factor (no pun intended) for many, depending on how well it runs on both machines. Traditionally Rockstar have always had marketing deals with Sony as well.

Back
Top Bottom