• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Some people just have to have the latest and greatest, console or pc, new shiny tech is lovely to hold, and use, we are all guilty of that to a degree.
I personally cannot see any reason to get the new pro atm, maybe the upcoming GTA game may be the catalyst that will push people into owning a pro, we don't know yet, still interesting times.

I upgraded my PS4 to the Pro for Wipeout VR but the headset resolution held it back.
I avoided the OG Xbox one as the specs were just rubbish but the One X was a great machine.

I gave up trying to get a PS5 what seems like eons ago and just thought, **** it, may as well wait for the inevitable Pro model.

This gen for games has been a bit rubbish anyway. Game development takes a lot longer these days, throw COVID into the mix and the chaos it caused to just be able to buy the machines was ridiculous.

Games development is in trouble right now judging by all the lay offs so you could argue it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Soldato
Meanwhile I have been swamped with games and releases, almost too many this year.

I've had like 6 games in 2024 I've absolutely had to play and we're just coming out of Q1.

Granblue Fantasy Relink
Persona 3 Reload
FF7 Rebirth
Unicorn Overlord
Dragons Dogma 2
Rise of the Ronin

All 6 of these are either out, or coming out this week in the case of the last two.

Got at least another 6 I can think of I want to play in the next 3-4 months as well.

Associate
Yeah, I suspect GTA6 will be a driving factor (no pun intended) for many, depending on how well it runs on both machines. Traditionally Rockstar have always had marketing deals with Sony as well.
If it results in a more noticeable stable experience of the new GTA game then I’ll upgrade though I always opt for no ray tracing 60fps anyway so one wonders what the point will be.

The 10% increase in CPU clock is hardly going to allow us to play it at 4K/60 with ray tracing without it being dynamically rendered in 1080/1440p whenever you’re outside but I’d definitely buy it if we got 4K/60 rendered at 4K regardless of indoor/outdoor then I’d surely buy it (still no ray tracing)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ronin looks very disappointing so far from what I have seen. Will likely wait a little before I decide on picking it up.

Yeah, looks a bit generic though I haven’t really seen enough of the gameplay/mechanics to decide.

I’m hoping there’s more to it than just another ghosts of Tsushima stroll from waypoint to waypoint collect-athon as that bored me after a couple of hours.

I’m a bit disappointed that it and stellar blade look so similar in terms of their gameplay. Both just look like expansions to ghosts of Tsushima and Nier automata rather then being something new. fingers crossed there’s more to them than it looks like from the promo footage.

I’d hoped with the move away from cross gen and these being PS5 only we might see more innovation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any decent offers on a 2tb drive, Ive seen the WD 2tb sn850x with heatsink for £160 and a Silcon Power xs70 2tb for £116, the former isn't the official playstation branded one, but I presume its the same thing but slightly cheaper. The latter I had not heard of the brand before but it's cheaper.
Anyone know if the WD sn850x has been cheaper? Thinking of going for that.
Perhaps there may be some deals over Easter.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any decent offers on a 2tb drive, Ive seen the WD 2tb sn850x with heatsink for £160 and a Silcon Power xs70 2tb for £116, the former isn't the official playstation branded one, but I presume its the same thing but slightly cheaper. The latter I had not heard of the brand before but it's cheaper.
Anyone know if the WD sn850x has been cheaper? Thinking of going for that.
Perhaps there may be some deals over Easter.

If you search 'ssd' on HotUKDeals there's an ADATA 2TB one for £116 with a heatspreader.

I doubt the WD is worth £40+ more, especially just for a games console.

Associate
Meanwhile I have been swamped with games and releases, almost too many this year.

I've had like 6 games in 2024 I've absolutely had to play and we're just coming out of Q1.

Granblue Fantasy Relink
Persona 3 Reload
FF7 Rebirth
Unicorn Overlord
Dragons Dogma 2
Rise of the Ronin

All 6 of these are either out, or coming out this week in the case of the last two.

Got at least another 6 I can think of I want to play in the next 3-4 months as well.
Yup, it has been a stacked year thus far, particularly for JRPGs. In addtion to those you've mentioned, Stellar Blade comes out next month and then Shin Megami Tensei V:Vengeance in June. Thankfully things settle down after Q2 for me ... perhaps just the Indiana Jones game and Metaphor: ReFantazio for the back half of the year.

Soldato
Is 2TB enough for the PS5 or is it just that 4GB is too expensive or there's a limit of 2TB?
I genuinely can't see why you'd need 4TB (plus onboard storage) of games installed at any one time, even with a slow connection. The more storage you have, the more inclined you are to fill it with stuff you'll never play.

I have a 1TB drive and find that more than sufficient, but I can also download a game in a few minutes if need be.

Last edited:
Soldato
I genuinely can't see why you'd need 4TB (plus onboard storage) of games installed at any one time, even with a slow connection. The more storage you have, the more inclined you are to fill it with stuff you'll never play.

I have a 1TB drive and find that more than sufficient, but I can also download a game in a few minutes if need be.
Personally, I find the standard ps5 internal storage really restrictive as it’s only space for 5-6 larger game installs.

On slower broadband you could be looking at 8+hours overnight to install a large game so you really need an extra terabyte or two of storage if you’re in that situation IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, it has been a stacked year thus far, particularly for JRPGs. In addtion to those you've mentioned, Stellar Blade comes out next month and then Shin Megami Tensei V:Vengeance in June. Thankfully things settle down after Q2 for me ... perhaps just the Indiana Jones game and Metaphor: ReFantazio for the back half of the year.

Just thinking about my list of upcoming stuff and it's still pretty stacked at present. I can't remember having a year with this many interesting games in a while.

7 things that I'll be aiming to play coming up, and this won't be everything I look at this year. I think I'd probably be interested in SMT V as well. I realise some of this isn't PS5 :)

23/04 - Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (PC Game Pass day 1)
26/04 - Stellar Blade (PS5)
21/05 - Hellblade II (PC Game Pass day 1)
25/07 - Frostpunk 2 (PC Game Pass day 1)
20/08 - Black Myth: Wukong (Probably all platforms?)
????? - Sword of Convallaria (Free to play on PC/Steam not sure on other platforms. This looks like a pretty cool free tactical RPG with full voice acting and such!).
????? - Metaphor: ReFantazio (Probably all platforms?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom