• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Caporegime
Well that is easily explained dude. It all depends what they paid for them. If they paid, say, £600 that will be the RRP. They obviously won't want to make a loss, so yeah.

I know they're not gonna want to take a loss on them, but at they same time they have to consider that they're unlikely to get their asking price for what's now considered to be 'older tech'. A 6900xt for a grand, or a 7900xt for a few hundred less, much more performance, more vram etc. Anyone looking for a card for around the £1k mark is gonna have to pretty clueless, to buy an older 6900xt vs an rdna 3 or nvidia offering, it just makes zero sense to get one at that price point.

Soldato
I know they're not gonna want to take a loss on them, but at they same time they have to consider that they're unlikely to get their asking price for what's now considered to be 'older tech'. A 6900xt for a grand, or a 7900xt for a few hundred less, much more performance, more vram etc. Anyone looking for a card for around the £1k mark is gonna have to pretty clueless, to buy an older 6900xt vs an rdna 3 or nvidia offering, it just makes zero sense to get one at that price point.

I would imagine at some point they will drop the price. I doubt they check it like, every single day. Especially if no one else has them to price match on? gawd knows. OCUK sold off their Red Devils cheap IIRC.

Associate
what shall I change ?
Really depends what you'd like to achieve?
To save power and reduced heat and fan noise tweaking the min/max clocks and reducing the voltage towards 1100mv would save a boat load of power.
Pushing clocks too high, the card takes over the voltage and any undervolt goes out of the window. A slight downclock can save massive amounts of power too.

Soldato
Really depends what you'd like to achieve?
To save power and reduced heat and fan noise tweaking the min/max clocks and reducing the voltage towards 1100mv would save a boat load of power.
Pushing clocks too high, the card takes over the voltage and any undervolt goes out of the window. A slight downclock can save massive amounts of power too.
So undervolt and drop the max clocks a bit? Mine is overkill for 1440p so saving some power/heat/noise is always a bonus.

Soldato
I'll give this a go and see how I get on in Skyrim, no point having extra heat/power and noise if not necessary.
for my 6900XT I set max frequency = 2001, power limit = -10, Voltage(mV) = 1140. The temps never go > 60C and a lot of the time the fans don’t come on. It also mostly uses < 90W when gaming at 1200p or 1440p. I have tested lower voltage down to ~1060 and most stuff is OK but not everything likes it so moved it up until I had no issues in anything.

Last edited:
Associate
for my 6900XT I set max frequency = 2001, power limit = -10, Voltage(mV) = 1140. The temps never go > 60C and a lot of the time the fans don’t come on. It also mostly uses < 90W when gaming at 1200p or 1140p. I have tested lower voltage down to ~1060 and most stuff is OK but not everything likes it so moved it up until I had no issues in anything.
Dropping the clock that much reduces the voltage regardless without the need to even touch it. HWinfo64 is a good tool to graph it's behaviour.
You are well into the super efficient area! It just shows how far silicone is pushed too far now to get the last 10-20%.

Associate
for my 6900XT I set max frequency = 2001, power limit = -10, Voltage(mV) = 1140. The temps never go > 60C and a lot of the time the fans don’t come on. It also mostly uses < 90W when gaming at 1200p or 1440p. I have tested lower voltage down to ~1060 and most stuff is OK but not everything likes it so moved it up until I had no issues in anything.
this seems to work really well with my 6900XT, tested it yesterday with 1100mV, no problems and 58C temp.. I'll try to go down to 1075mV over the weekend :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad to see that more people are catching on to the benefits of downclocking as most GPUs these days are pushed way above their sweet spot on the efficiency curve. Sadly my GPU is a dud when it comes to undervolting but I still get amazing results from downclocking just a little bit.

Associate
Got myself that xfx merc 6950xt and its crashing to a static type screen as soon as I go into gameplay from game menus. AC odessy crash straight away, Jedi survivor managed 5 mins. Tried all the usual stuff and temps look absolutley fine. Pretty sure Rams fine, and have disabled all stuff in bios that various places recommend, and update driver/chipsets and tried older drivers! Absolutley fine on bench marks and stress tests as well, so just when in proper 3d game. Downclocking/ reducing/ increasing power and gpu frequency does nothing to help.

Either I've been sold a dud, or was thinking my 850w psu might not be man enough... Although if it was the psu id expect the computer to restart/shutdown, not go to a static screen where can hear audio in background?

Anyone know if a crash to a static screen indicates a certain type of issue? Man, I'm sooo bored of AMD cards not working out the box.

Associate
Got myself that xfx merc 6950xt and its crashing to a static type screen as soon as I go into gameplay from game menus. AC odessy crash straight away, Jedi survivor managed 5 mins. Tried all the usual stuff and temps look absolutley fine. Pretty sure Rams fine, and have disabled all stuff in bios that various places recommend, and update driver/chipsets and tried older drivers! Absolutley fine on bench marks and stress tests as well, so just when in proper 3d game. Downclocking/ reducing/ increasing power and gpu frequency does nothing to help.

Either I've been sold a dud, or was thinking my 850w psu might not be man enough... Although if it was the psu id expect the computer to restart/shutdown, not go to a static screen where can hear audio in background?

Anyone know if a crash to a static screen indicates a certain type of issue? Man, I'm sooo bored of AMD cards not working out the box.
What PSU are you using? And are you using 2 sperate cables for the 8 pin power?

Soldato

I'd try it on a clean install to be sure, I've seen a lot of issues that turned out to be nothing to do with the card or the drivers. That said the only cards I ever had odd things happen with was with two XFX 5830s.

Associate
its a 850W Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 and yeah using 2 separate pcie cables/ psu slots. Funnily enough it did the strees tests fine but just tried 3Dmark benchmark and it crashed.

Do you mean an entire fresh windows install/ reformat? guess its the last possible thing to do!

Back
Top Bottom