• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Soldato
Little late to the party but grabbed this off the MM and loving it! I've had some GPU's before mainly Nvidia but yes in the games I play at 1440p this is faster than the 3090 I've had previously and is only a touch (somtimes even) vs the 4070 Ti I've had but had to sell at the time...

my 24/7 clocks are 2325/2425 1120v to have it silent and cool and tbf it offers 95% of the performance vs stock red devil performance.. I do feel my 9900k is holding it back though and a new AMD cpu will leverage this to it's full potential... I'll patiently wait for the new AMD series..

4KAg2na.jpg
oXLwBEJ.jpg
c0hVanj.jpg
Congrats. It's the same model as mine. Mine is a poor undervolter but running it at 2300mhz core gives around 90-92% of the performance of stock at insanely reduced power draw. It's a fantastic GPU IMHO. I had a 5800x at the time and even that wasn't completely enough to fully power the 6950XT in all instances. However, the 5800x3D did the trick. Hope you get plenty of good years out of it.

Associate
Congrats. It's the same model as mine. Mine is a poor undervolter but running it at 2300mhz core gives around 90-92% of the performance of stock at insanely reduced power draw. It's a fantastic GPU IMHO. I had a 5800x at the time and even that wasn't completely enough to fully power the 6950XT in all instances. However, the 5800x3D did the trick. Hope you get plenty of good years out of it.
ahh glad to see you’ve got same model mate! It ran hot at stock tbf but it had an aggressive fan profile.. is that 2300max? Mike clocks clock to the 2.4ghz but yes the power draw is so much better.. approx 260w in firestrike and around 200-230w in games whilst the VRAM is clocked at 2400 whilst offering stock performance but being silent and staying around high 50s low 60s degrees :) I’m keeping my eye out for a 5800x3d but I think I’ll go with a 7600x and new set up as by time I flog my 9900k I don’t think the outlay will be all that much

Last edited:
Soldato
ahh glad to see you’ve got same model mate! It ran hot at stock tbf but it had an aggressive fan profile.. is that 2300max? Mike clocks clock to the 2.4ghz but yes the power draw is so much better.. approx 260w in firestrike and around 200-230w in games whilst the VRAM is clocked at 2400 whilst offering stock performance but being silent and staying around high 50s low 60s degrees :) I’m keeping my eye out for a 5800x3d but I think I’ll go with a 7600x and new set up as by time I flog my 9900k I don’t think the outlay will be all that much
I would disable monitoring of the normal edge temp and monitor junction or hotspot temp instead and yes through Wattman I've set it to 2300max. My card hovers between 190-220 in most games at 99% utilization. I've seen a few games, usually unity titles and poorly optimized ones, that push it up to 260 watts. Fan speed is left on auto. I think it works wonderous and it's very quiet.

At this point in time, when we are talking about an entire platform change, I wouldn't buy an AM4 platform either unless I got it very cheap and ready to go. AM4 has been and still is great, but it has reached the end of the road in terms of higher performance options.

Soldato
Yep my 6900XT is perfectly fine and anything slower paced now, with fluid motion frame enabled, this for me is an absolute game changer... it is soooo good imho... so unless it's COD MP or something where I don't want latency, it's enabled now on my system by default and having that option to realtime turn on and off... spot on! AMD for me by bringing this to the table, fair play... it works, simple as that!

Associate
I've still got my 6900xt and it's great. I usually game on that rather than my 7900xt and don't find it lacking at all.
Lot of cards can do 1440p really well.
4k the options that can do it well narrows down.
Buying the 6950xt at black friday sale vs basically half the price vs other 4k options or triple (LOL)
meant there are not many cards that can do things better to actually matter in gameplay.
I think many missed out on that.

Associate
Is it just me or is there a sweet spot for RDNA2.. basically my daily speeds are 2325/2425 min/Max and 19gbps VRAM and in games it typically sits around 250-280w depending on game. It’s quiet and runs cool. However crank the clock speeds up and allow it to pull 390 watts only results in approx 8% performance uplift for an extra 140-110w + a loud and hot card. Also voltage doesn’t affect the power draw much for me. It’s the clock speed. Even undervolting if I set a high clock speed the wattage always exceeds 300. Is anyone able to run an absolute barebone stock 6950xt firestrike extreme or ultra so I can compare my under clock

Soldato
Is it just me or is there a sweet spot for RDNA2.. basically my daily speeds are 2325/2425 min/Max and 19gbps VRAM and in games it typically sits around 250-280w depending on game. It’s quiet and runs cool. However crank the clock speeds up and allow it to pull 390 watts only results in approx 8% performance uplift for an extra 140-110w + a loud and hot card. Also voltage doesn’t affect the power draw much for me. It’s the clock speed. Even undervolting if I set a high clock speed the wattage always exceeds 300. Is anyone able to run an absolute barebone stock 6950xt firestrike extreme or ultra so I can compare my under clock

LOLz came here to ask for the info your have just given right there.
I have a reference 6950 XT, it works fine at 2550/2650 min/max plus 10 on power limit. and thats all i did really.

but now i have finished playing i was wanting to know whats a good day to day setting.
the system its going in as a 1080p 165Hz monitor. and with the current settings im getting well over 240fps in games at ultra settings, so i feel i can turn down the power a little

Whats the maximum ram you have seen and whats the best way to test a rem OC

Associate
LOLz came here to ask for the info your have just given right there.
I have a reference 6950 XT, it works fine at 2550/2650 min/max plus 10 on power limit. and thats all i did really.

but now i have finished playing i was wanting to know whats a good day to day setting.
the system its going in as a 1080p 165Hz monitor. and with the current settings im getting well over 240fps in games at ultra settings, so i feel i can turn down the power a little

Whats the maximum ram you have seen and whats the best way to test a rem OC
Can I ask what the power draw is on that? I’ve tried 2450 min 2550 max though it pulls approx 300 ish watts in games which i can’t justify for the slight bump in performance.. at stock what is the boost clock/power draw? 2400 is the max with fast timing I just use firestrike, heaven and Alan wake 2 (this game is the quickest to crash any oc from the last few GPUS I’ve had

Soldato
power draw was north of 350 bouncing up and down touching 390 it times. tbf i was just seeing how to set the hi and low boost as ive never had to do that before.

ive just been running 2450/2550 and it looks to be good gaming at about 60c/78c.
im happy with that it was still hitting my FPS cap of 165 so im happy Power draw is not really a concern 50w's up and down means nothing, its more heat i dont like thing up in the 90's

nice case btw, look good. temps any better over the h440
oXLwBEJ.jpg
undefined

Soldato
@Tommy_Here @Wing-Man For reference, my Red Devil @ stock will drain around 370-380ish watts. Lowering the core from 2675 to 2300 reduces that to 220 watts typical and 260ish in edge cases(usually Unity based games). The hotspot temp is hovering around 85-88c downclocked with a near silent fan and around 100c+ hotspot @ stock with screaming fans. It's a no-contest in my book. I'd rather take the 8-10% performance loss and gain so much in all other areas. RDNA certainly has a sweet spot for efficiency and it's been pushed well past which is a typical AMD thing. It's a non issue for those of us who knows and likes to tinker a bit but it certainly does not paint a pretty picture to the average Joe Smoe who has no idea that he can change the behavior of the GPU.

Considering what I paid at the time, what else was available, what is currently available, and the price of that(7800XT, 7900GRE), my purchase keeps paying off which I would like to contribute to pure foresight but most likely was 80% luck :p

Associate
power draw was north of 350 bouncing up and down touching 390 it times. tbf i was just seeing how to set the hi and low boost as ive never had to do that before.

ive just been running 2450/2550 and it looks to be good gaming at about 60c/78c.
im happy with that it was still hitting my FPS cap of 165 so im happy Power draw is not really a concern 50w's up and down means nothing, its more heat i dont like thing up in the 90's

nice case btw, look good. temps any better over the h440
They are good temps! Seems the reference models from AMD have improved a lot since the last reference card I had from them! 5700 xt AE & Vega 56 air boost. Case is brilliant mate, the look is so much better whilst the temps have improved massively especially on the 9900k I can actually game and benchmark at 5ghz now which I couldn’t with the H440. The 2x ML140 on the top and ML120 on the rear definitely do their job and you do feel the heat being exhausted when system is under load

Associate
@Tommy_Here @Wing-Man For reference, my Red Devil @ stock will drain around 370-380ish watts. Lowering the core from 2675 to 2300 reduces that to 220 watts typical and 260ish in edge cases(usually Unity based games). The hotspot temp is hovering around 85-88c downclocked with a near silent fan and around 100c+ hotspot @ stock with screaming fans. It's a no-contest in my book. I'd rather take the 8-10% performance loss and gain so much in all other areas. RDNA certainly has a sweet spot for efficiency and it's been pushed well past which is a typical AMD thing. It's a non issue for those of us who knows and likes to tinker a bit but it certainly does not paint a pretty picture to the average Joe Smoe who has no idea that he can change the behavior of the GPU.

Considering what I paid at the time, what else was available, what is currently available, and the price of that(7800XT, 7900GRE), my purchase keeps paying off which I would like to contribute to pure foresight but most likely was 80% luck :p
Completely agree! When I’m running a game I’ll switch between my max OC profile and my under clock profile and the performance is usually always less than 10% difference but usually 30%+ or more more power and like you say runs loud and hot! I much prefer a near inaudible and cooler running system as even under clocked its smashing 1440p hitting my refresh rate of 165HZ many times.

Soldato
Temps are really good as the game in question is squads and it’s a very strange game.

My cpu only runs at 35% usage and about 45c and GPU sits at 80% usage.
My cup is cooler in that games that when using chrome.

Associate
@Tommy_Here @Wing-Man I'd rather take the 8-10% performance loss and gain so much in all other areas. RDNA certainly has a sweet spot for efficiency and it's been pushed well past which is a typical AMD thing.
Nvidia does so do Intel.
Its common practice to deliver review examples from nvidia to be pushed way above for favourable reviews.
You didnt notice that?

I run my 6950xt at 170w with same performance in 4k.

Associate
Does anyone know how to use more power tool with a 6900xt currently? Have scoured the net and tried multiple times and it just makes my clocks go to 500 and won’t add any wattage etc. is it just the drivers now stop it, and if so is there one from the past that will work etc? Mines barely pulling 225w with temps in the 40’s , thanks

Soldato
Does anyone know how to use more power tool with a 6900xt currently? Have scoured the net and tried multiple times and it just makes my clocks go to 500 and won’t add any wattage etc. is it just the drivers now stop it, and if so is there one from the past that will work etc? Mines barely pulling 225w with temps in the 40’s , thanks

what are you looking to do, i found MPT to be broken

Back
Top Bottom