• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
My 6950xt pulls 250w @2700mhz when stress testing.

What’s sort of clock speeds are you managing to get
Mine runs around 250w in benches yep but it can crash after 5 mins to 1 hour using the stock voltage curve at around 2600 odd mhz just at stock settings with +15 on the power or rage mode, maybe the cool chip is making it overclock too far at stock, I’d like to up the voltage curve a bit so it will be ok mostly. Also would be nice to up the wattage so it can stretch its legs a bit as it’s so cold even at full. Iv seen many people running them at 300-350w safely and unsure whether iv just got a locked card, I was going to try and flash the water cooled bios as it’s the same pcb as mine but worried if its the xtxh chip on the water cooled variant which would brick the card. It’s a gigabyte gaming oc iv got, the waterforce model I’m unsure of the chip type. That’s where I’m at anyway lol, if I could rewind the drivers and just get morepowertool working to just up the limit I’d be happy

Last edited:
Soldato
At 2600 you are stretching its legs tbf. The 6950 tops out at 2800 and that’s only on the good cards.

Your best off setting your OC in the AMD driver.

I have mine at auto all the time then when a game opens it loads a profile.

It could just be that your card is limited to that wattage via bios. I know of people that bios mod for extra power but cross flashing is a dodge game.

Soldato
at 2600 mhz there is not much more to gain... all the cards 6900 and 6950 and bios capped by AMD to 2800.
there is ways to change that but again in the real world there is little to nothing to gain.

i run my card aty 2450/2550 max and min with 0 added to power limit.
i have liquid metaled it and it games at about 70c on the hot spot silent.

when i run it at 2750 plus 20% power it would game at 98c hot spot with fans on 80%
this is with no liquid metal.

in games i have lost about 15 FPS on the average, but i still hit over 150 in battlefield and 140 in squads so am good

do you use this GPU with the Ryzen 1700 in your sig? if you do you would gain more jumping to a Ryzen 5600 or 5700x3d than you will ever gain from overclocking the GPU

Last edited:
Associate
Ahh yep, my rigs different than my sig haha, edited. is a 5800x and run a 5k monitor. Tbh I’d be happy with it stock most of the time but for some reason it black screens/hard locks randomly in Helldivers 2 and on a restart the bios complains about the gpu, after another restart it works. Have been clocking it down but the voltage drops as well, I’d hoped to raise the voltage curve a bit before I throw it on eBay and check if it’s just clocking too high with it running at 40deg at full load. Luckily I kept the air cooler so can see if it’s just the water cooling that’s messing it up.

Last edited:
Soldato
My 6950 Red Devil developed ear splitting coil whine so returned it and got a partial refund. Thats covered most of the cost of a 7900 XTX so going to try that instead.

Soldato
@buttkinz
If your having lock up and black screen at stock setting. I’d look at other problems and not just the GPU.

I remember back in my x99 days, battlefield would do the same stuff and ever other games was fine. After week of testing and so it it turned out to be ram settings

Soldato
You did good as most card makers now say cool whine is not a returnable reason any more.
What shop was you with?
I think this was a bit extreme, normal coil whine wouldn't be a problem, but this was ear splitting in desktop and games and had got much much worse over the previous few weeks. I could hear it with the PC running fans at 70% and the PC upstairs from the kitchen.

Associate
Ahh yep, my rigs different than my sig haha, edited. is a 5800x and run a 5k monitor. Tbh I’d be happy with it stock most of the time but for some reason it black screens/hard locks randomly in Helldivers 2 and on a restart the bios complains about the gpu, after another restart it works. Have been clocking it down but the voltage drops as well, I’d hoped to raise the voltage curve a bit before I throw it on eBay and check if it’s just clocking too high with it running at 40deg at full load. Luckily I kept the air cooler so can see if it’s just the water cooling that’s messing it up.
Had a lot of crashes with helldivers 2 with a 7900xtx had to limit frame rate and use medium settings.

Soldato
My 6950xt pulls 250w @2700mhz when stress testing.

What’s sort of clock speeds are you managing to get
Sounds like a golden sample or an incorrect/incomplete report of power. What are you using for power monitoring? At 2670 core clock aka stock settings, my 6950XT will consume around 320-330 watts playing a demanding game.

Soldato
Sounds like a golden sample or an incorrect/incomplete report of power. What are you using for power monitoring? At 2670 core clock aka stock settings, my 6950XT will consume around 320-330 watts playing a demanding game.

Yer it’s 350w in 3d mark my bad, 200 to 250 in games

But in games I drop the clocks a lot, there is not much difference in fps

Last edited:
Associate
Hey all, I've been an Nvidia owner since I started playing games more than 25 years ago, and yesterday I found a deal I could not miss, an RX 6950 XT for $350, I already own an RTX 3070 Ti, so I think this is a massive deal, I own a laptop with a Ryzen 3500U and Vega Graphics and saw how much the AMD software is amazing so I am pretty excited to join Team Red. My question is there a way to just Underclock the GPU even if I lose some performance I don't mind it.
I know how to undervolt and underclock an Nvidia GPU using MSI afterburner, but from what I read about AMD cards you can only do that using the Adrenaline software.
So let's say I want the GPU power down from 300 W to 200 W, and as I said I don't mind losing some performance. (I am using a 1080p 144 Hz Monitor, so I know the card won't be fully utilized and also I am fine with that).
Thanks.

Associate
Hey all, I've been an Nvidia owner since I started playing games more than 25 years ago, and yesterday I found a deal I could not miss, an RX 6950 XT for $350, I already own an RTX 3070 Ti, so I think this is a massive deal, I own a laptop with a Ryzen 3500U and Vega Graphics and saw how much the AMD software is amazing so I am pretty excited to join Team Red. My question is there a way to just Underclock the GPU even if I lose some performance I don't mind it.
I know how to undervolt and underclock an Nvidia GPU using MSI afterburner, but from what I read about AMD cards you can only do that using the Adrenaline software.
So let's say I want the GPU power down from 300 W to 200 W, and as I said I don't mind losing some performance. (I am using a 1080p 144 Hz Monitor, so I know the card won't be fully utilized and also I am fine with that).
Thanks.
Yes you can. It’s very easy and stable just adjust the max clock frequency would be the easiest way to do it.

Don
Thanks.
You could also just use Radeon specific features like Radeon Chill to reduce power consumption

Associate
Thanks.
upgraded to 4k so 6950xt replaced my 6700xt.
dropped and adjusted the card clock for the game I play from 290w to 175w.
No difference in gaming experience.
silent also.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks.
See here for my findings.

Soldato
I have three settings with my 6900XT power modded to be cable of pulling 460W... I have, Gaming/Gaming Pushed and benchmark presets... BUT I would add that hotspot is well over 100C at maximum wattage... and I prefer hotspots under 100C so I tend to limit the power to 425W for long gaming sessions... lets be honest it's like a hand ful of fps...

Back
Top Bottom