• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Soldato
its a 850W Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 and yeah using 2 separate pcie cables/ psu slots. Funnily enough it did the strees tests fine but just tried 3Dmark benchmark and it crashed.

Do you mean an entire fresh windows install/ reformat? guess its the last possible thing to do!
A bit of work but the easiest way to make sure it's there's nothing interfering with it. If you have a spare drive is just test with that.

Soldato
Just picked up one of those XFX 6950's myself and it's powered from my 750w with two 8 pins alongside a 3950X, no issue so far thankfully. Have undervolted the GPU to 1135 which has been stable so far under benchmarks and gaming. As said, I wonder if there's a software conflict here as it's causing the crash as you get to game.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just picked up one of those XFX 6950's myself and it's powered from my 750w with two 8 pins alongside a 3950X, no issue so far thankfully. Have undervolted the GPU to 1135 which has been stable so far under benchmarks and gaming. As said, I wonder if there's a software conflict here as it's causing the crash as you get to game.

How is it for coil whine and fan noise? Considering one myself but would prefer the MBA version if it goes to those pricing levels.

Soldato
How is it for coil whine and fan noise? Considering one myself but would prefer the MBA version if it goes to those pricing levels.

Fan noise picks up a bit when it's over 50% (set to 62/63C for me), but until then it's very quiet. On my reasonably high settings on Forza Motorsport on an AW3821, it's very quiet if I'm the only car. If there's a lot on screen, it gets louder but not ridiculous until it's really hot.

I can't say I've heard any coil whine at all so far!

Last edited:
Associate
thanks, well i did a complete reformat and fresh install with no other software bar essential. still crashes. 3d mark speedway runs a couple of times then crashes. any tweak to the adrenaline software and it crashes on game/ 3d mark. ive previously done ram tests etc and have a 5600x with the 850w psu so pretty sure system otherwise is fine. I heard some coil whine but think it would go away shortly. Already have an RMA number so will see what happens...

Associate
thanks, well i did a complete reformat and fresh install with no other software bar essential. still crashes. 3d mark speedway runs a couple of times then crashes. any tweak to the adrenaline software and it crashes on game/ 3d mark. ive previously done ram tests etc and have a 5600x with the 850w psu so pretty sure system otherwise is fine. I heard some coil whine but think it would go away shortly. Already have an RMA number so will see what happens...
Sounds like a duff card to me.

Soldato
Yeah unfortunately it does sound that way. You say it's fine on stress tests and how you've two separate cables for the power, so I'd assume any power issue would be ruled out also. Even if there were to be a spike as a game loads, it would surely just cut out.

My first XFX card was a dud way back in the 5770 days. Really put me off the idea at first of getting one of these. Hopefully the replacement is with you asap and you can enjoy the powerhouse of a card. :)

Soldato
Got myself that xfx merc 6950xt and its crashing to a static type screen as soon as I go into gameplay from game menus. AC odessy crash straight away, Jedi survivor managed 5 mins. Tried all the usual stuff and temps look absolutley fine. Pretty sure Rams fine, and have disabled all stuff in bios that various places recommend, and update driver/chipsets and tried older drivers! Absolutley fine on bench marks and stress tests as well, so just when in proper 3d game. Downclocking/ reducing/ increasing power and gpu frequency does nothing to help.

Either I've been sold a dud, or was thinking my 850w psu might not be man enough... Although if it was the psu id expect the computer to restart/shutdown, not go to a static screen where can hear audio in background?

Anyone know if a crash to a static screen indicates a certain type of issue? Man, I'm sooo bored of AMD cards not working out the box.
It could very well be a dud of a card however, lets explore a few other options first. Unless faulty that PSU should be fine. Your GPU shouldn't draw more than 340-360 top balls to the walls. Considering you have already tried a fresh install of windows I would look elsewhere unless it's not a real fresh install, if its just a restore and not a proper "delete partition and start from scratch" kind of thing, then I would give that a try. You will be surprise how much BS windows keeps around even after a restore.

I would go to the maker of your motherboard and get the latest BIOS, get it even if its the same as your current, load defaults, save, and then update the bios no matter what version your running. Report back. I would stay away from undervolting until the card has been deemed stable, if you want to reduce temps stick to under clocking the core instead. 2200-2300 max core clock should stick it around 210-220 watts of max output.

If you have the time you could also try out Linux for a quick test. Get EndeavourOS. Installation is very straight forward. Once up and running here, open Konsole(command prompts equivalent) and type without quotation "yay -S steam". Follow the prompts. When asked about some libraries choose 4 which should be the radv-vulkan library and then 4 again to choose the lib32 version of radv-vulkan. Let it complete and find steam in the start menu and login. The rest is as you already know. See if a game will crash while playing.

I recently had issues with the pc freezing after fullscreen exit and it turned out that my bios was messed up. But i've had this issue in different variations multiple times now ever since I bought my first b450 gigabyte board. Like once every 6 or so months. Also a lot of the websites of a google search(the blog looking kind) regarding how to fix anything from crashes, stuttering, blackscreens and freezes and absolutely garbage tier advice. Stay away from them. It's the same copy paste answers on every single one of them.

Associate
Felt like the 4k resolution required a bit more than the 6700 xt.
So, due to black friday a $612 6950 xt felt like a decent :D deal and I can sell off the 6700.
Installed, no issues.
double the fps and more stable fps in games I play

Associate
Yup, nice gpu to pair with the X3D. Enjoy!! :cool:
Oh it be nice and last until a good new generation arrives that double the fps again, right>?

Seems the 6950xt xfx mercs are now not available anymore, so only overpriced 6900xt's or cheaper 6950's to choose from now. :D
depends what country.
I suspected these cards be on sale this week as they had a lot of stock and many look at the new shiny 7000 series primary.
for my needs its perfect.

Soldato
How much actual difference is there between a 6800 non xt and the 6900xt/6950xt.

The prices that they keep coming up for I am getting half tempted.

Only issue is I am guessing my 600w SFX is going to be out of its depth I am assuming?

Associate
How much actual difference is there between a 6800 non xt and the 6900xt/6950xt.

The prices that they keep coming up for I am getting half tempted.

Only issue is I am guessing my 600w SFX is going to be out of its depth I am assuming?

Not enough to be worth upgrading IMO, plus in all likelyhood a new PSU.

Both are power hungry beasts.

If I were you I'd be waiting a while and then buying a PSU alongside your next GPU.

Worthwhile upgrade for you now would be 7900XT.

Soldato
Not enough to be worth upgrading IMO, plus in all likelyhood a new PSU.

Both are power hungry beasts.

If I were you I'd be waiting a while and then buying a PSU alongside your next GPU.

Worthwhile upgrade for you now would be 7900XT.
Cheers,

Yeah a 7900XT is the one I really want. I was just being a cheapskate lolol.

Intention would be to save enough for card and an 850+ at the same, most likely next year.

Appreciate the input :)

Associate
Cheers,

Intention would be to save enough for card and an 850+ at the same, most likely next year.

You're welcome, with a good quality 850W unit you'll be fine, and with plenty of headroom, NV and AMD always err on the safe side with their PSU requirements.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers,

Usually the good time to upgrade is when it reach double the fps vs what you have today.
Normally that is 2 generations so every 3-4 year or so.
Upgrade for 30% isnt noticeable if your fps already are high enough for fluid gameplay

Associate
Little late to the party but grabbed this off the MM and loving it! I've had some GPU's before mainly Nvidia but yes in the games I play at 1440p this is faster than the 3090 I've had previously and is only a touch (somtimes even) vs the 4070 Ti I've had but had to sell at the time...

my 24/7 clocks are 2325/2425 1120v to have it silent and cool and tbf it offers 95% of the performance vs stock red devil performance.. I do feel my 9900k is holding it back though and a new AMD cpu will leverage this to it's full potential... I'll patiently wait for the new AMD series..

4KAg2na.jpg
oXLwBEJ.jpg
c0hVanj.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom