• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
My son purchased a RX Sapphire Nitro+ 7900 XT and installed it yesterday. He's not getting anywhere near the kinda fps he thought he'd be getting. low 200's on Fortnite performance mode. Not much better than his 1080 he says.
I get a lot more fps with my 3070 on a similar system, but mine has a Ryzen 5 5600.

I wonder if it's a CPU Bottleneck problem? He has a Ryzen 5 3600, B450 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Motherboard, 16GB DDR4 3200mhz Ram, Corsair RM750w PSU.

Associate
I would say RAM could also go up to 3600/3800 with CL16 minimum to help in those CPU bound situations.

Wasn't B450 chipset PCI-E 3.0 only?

@Gilbert Coquard what resolution does your son play at? There is only so much you can do at 1080p..

Last edited:
Associate
Definitely needs a better CPU to go with a quality GPU like the 7900XT! 5700X3D maybe?

Yeah he was looking at a Ryzen 7 5800X3D, and now he's saying he's going to go for a 5900x instead. Saying it's a similar price right now.
I've tried telling him it'll be overkill, and a 5800X3D or even the 5700X3D should be more than enough.

I would say RAM could also go up to 3600/3800 with CL16 minimum to help in those CPU bound situations.

Wasn't B450 chipset PCI-E 3.0 only?

@Gilbert Coquard what resolution does your son play at? There is only so much you can do at 1080p..

His motherboard supports 3600mhz, so that's a possiblity. and yeah it's PCI-E 3.0, only. I'm not sure if running a 4.0 on a 3.0 makes a huge difference?
He plays Fortnite on 1080p. Everything on low to get as many fps as possible.

I've been trying different things to see if it's a problem with settings. There was a bios update so I done that, and also enabled resizable bar in the bios.
I used DDU to remove all traces of Nvidia drivers, and installed the AMD driver only after trying full install and minimal install.

Associate
This. The X3D chips will be much better. Specifically for the 1% lows.

Absolutely, I made the mistake of getting a 5900X before the X3D was released and really didn't utilise the extra cores enough to justify having paid more.

I upgraded to the 5800X3D from the that just over a year ago and performance was much improved in so many scenarios.

If you can get him some faster RAM then all the better too; while tuning my kit up to 3800MHz/CL14 I saw surprisingly large jumps in speed.

Associate
This. The X3D chips will be much better. Specifically for the 1% lows.

If he only plays games this chip will be better for him, have you looked into overclocking his memory to see if that helps. But it does depend on the CPU how far you can push the memory timings.

Last edited:
Soldato
My son purchased a RX Sapphire Nitro+ 7900 XT and installed it yesterday. He's not getting anywhere near the kinda fps he thought he'd be getting. low 200's on Fortnite performance mode. Not much better than his 1080 he says.
I get a lot more fps with my 3070 on a similar system, but mine has a Ryzen 5 5600.

I wonder if it's a CPU Bottleneck problem? He has a Ryzen 5 3600, B450 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Motherboard, 16GB DDR4 3200mhz Ram, Corsair RM750w PSU.

make sure he uses 2 pcie power cables from the psu to the new card, using a pigtale cable can cause issues like weird fps, most gpu manufactures recommend 2 cables and aviod pigtails unless the gpu is sub 200w.

would be intresting to see if rebar (above 4g decoding) is enabled in the bios, being a older b450 it should have the option, if its not enabled that will be a factor why the newer card isnt any faster than the old card.

Associate
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input. I've showed him the replies, and he's going to go with a 5800X3D, and see how it goes. If he has to he'll change to a B550 or X570 with better ram.

His monitor is a QHD Alienware 280hz, and the GPU takes 3 pcie power cables. I have each pcie power cable attached to the Corsair RM750 separately. I also have rebar enabled in the bios. I'd never heard about it before until it was mentioned in a YT video.
His 3Dmark score was 18265

Soldato
Definitely sounds like the CPU is bottlenecking performance. If I currently had the game installed I would have loaded it up to see what my setup gets on the same settings. I have a 7900XT also though the rest of my specs are a lot higher than your sons

Soldato
Going to have a try of a 7900 XTX Nitro+ after the Hellhound went back. If this is no good then probably end up with an Nvidia card. Mainly play Le Mans Ultimate, AMS2 and a couple of others at 4k, so RT performance isn't exactly important.

Back
Top Bottom