• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Caporegime
Going to have a try of a 7900 XTX Nitro+ after the Hellhound went back. If this is no good then probably end up with an Nvidia card. Mainly play Le Mans Ultimate, AMS2 and a couple of others at 4k, so RT performance isn't exactly important.

Interesting, what was wrong with the Hellhound? I did look at it but despite the approval from quite a few tech jurnoes something about the look of it didn't sit quite right with me, i didn't think it was a good quality product but i have never actually handled one so i may never know.

As it happens the Sapphire Pulse looked ok to me and i'm happy with it.....

Soldato
Interesting, what was wrong with the Hellhound? I did look at it but despite the approval from quite a few tech jurnoes something about the look of it didn't sit quite right with me, i didn't think it was a good quality product but i have never actually handled one so i may never know.

As it happens the Sapphire Pulse looked ok to me and i'm happy with it.....
The Hellhound was well built and quiet but had horrendous coil whine, regardless of if it was in game or desktop and whatever the framerate. I could hear it over the fans and sound in games, so sent it back.

Soldato
The Hellhound was well built and quiet but had horrendous coil whine, regardless of if it was in game or desktop and whatever the framerate. I could hear it over the fans and sound in games, so sent it back.
I get a little coil whine on my 7900XT, but weirdly it's only certain game amd sometimes it disappears after a while. It only seems to be a single fan that's causing it. Kept the card though its its not often enough that it annoys me.

Caporegime
Humbug you've got the 7800xt havnt you I'm looking at the pulse 7900xtx have you ever had one and if so what was your thoughts

It is a 7800 XT yes, i know nothing about the 7900 XTX version but my impressions can still go some way to applying.

Handling it i found the build quality to be good, it has a plastic fan shroud but you would expect that from one that isn't a premium model, its not a cheap feeling plastic, the plastic looks and feels better quality.

Its a metal backplate, its painted or powder coated, not anodized or brushed, which is fine, its nothing special but at least it is metal and functional, it has thermal pads on the back of the card for memory IC's heat transfering in to that back plate, that actually is far too often overlooked even on premium models so it nice to see.

The fans are high quality, they seem well made and are again high quality plastic, they even look cool with the blades having a dogleg design, i'm sure that's functional. They certainly push a lot of air even at low RPM, they are also quiet.

The cooler, it looks like a modern cooler, i was a little taken'a back by how small the whole card is, its nearly half the size of my MSI 2070S Gaming X, and yet despite drawing a little more power than that card it still manages to run cooler and quieter, i think that says a lot of the quality and design of the cooler and fans, even pulling 280 watts OC'd, a lot more than the 220 / 230 the 2070S Gaming X pulled its still no louder or hotter, again despite the cooler being half the size.

I like it and am impressed by it, its not a stylish card but it does have some look of quality about it and that in its self makes it look decent.

The 7900 XTX has a much larger cooler on it, i would be confident its good.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Ah... coil whine, that's interesting given that a decade ago Powercolor used to hot glue the coils to stop that.

Soldato
My 7900 XTX Nitro+ has arrived and been installed. Did a clean OS install and it very quiet, kicks out some serious heat but has a duff 1st HDMI port :(

Last edited:
Associate
Humbug you've got the 7800xt havnt you I'm looking at the pulse 7900xtx have you ever had one and if so what was your thoughts
id second the thoughts earlier around the pulse, 7800xt pulse here and that thing has super low temps, the max hotspot temps I've seen is around 58c running maxed out, its big and chunky though so keep that in mind

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah they did. I'm just confirming that was the issue.

Now after seeing the results, I'm debating wether It would be a worthwhile upgrade to go from a 5600 to a 5700X3D/5800X3D. My GPU is a RTX 3070

Yes it would. Reason I am not is holding out from the leap from a 3600 to a AM5 build at some point. You could sell the 5600 to make the switch less of a blow.

Associate

Now after seeing the results, I'm debating wether It would be a worthwhile upgrade to go from a 5600 to a 5700X3D/5800X3D. My GPU is a RTX 3070
It depends on the resolution you play at. The more GPU bound you are the less of an effect the CPU has. Where you will see a huge difference is the 1% lows.

Soldato

I went from a 5600x to a 5800x3d last year, it varies from game to game but I saw a pretty large fps increase with my 7900xt at 1440p. But as others have said. Even if the max fps has increased by much the games tend to feel smoother and have higher 1% lows :)

Associate
Does anyone have any experience of the Gigabyte 7900 XT Gaming OC?

Been offered it as a RMA replacement for a RX6950XT reference (or a partial refund, or a 7900 GRE when in stock).

The 6950XT was near silent, but I can't find much about the Gigabyte 7900XT and my only experience of a Gigabyte card was a Radeon 580 which sounded like Henry Hoover being attacked by a swarm of bees which is putting me off. I know the performance is an upgrade over the 6950 and 7900 GRE that has been offered, but I'm not sure I'm interested if it's going to be loud and hot.

Back
Top Bottom