• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
How happy are you 7900 xtx owners with amd? I currently have a 3080 that i can probably sell for 600£ and I can get a 7900 xtx asus tuf for 900£ almost brand new with warranty. Seems like a no brainer to me? a 4080 is around 1200£ where I live.

Soldato
Moved from a 4090 to a xtx, couldn't be happier. RT performance is slower but traditional raster games run very well indeed, drivers always improving so RT is getting better with AMD.

longest time i've had a gpu too the xtx (almost 2 years) i used to buy a new one every generation before, i wont lie drivers to begin with were a crap shoot on amd, but like the 6000 series before, given time the cards got way better with driver updates same thing has happened with 7000 series.

and if you custom cool your card the performance goes through the roof and they stay crazy cool XD

Last edited:
Associate
My friends. I don't know where else to go.

Supposedly this card can reach clock speeds of over 2500Mhz, but when playing GoW at 1080p i can't seem to maintain 60fps, and that tickles me in the wrong way, so i started trying things.

a) Use Vulkan API mod from nexus mods: 60fps, but constant stuttering when loading new areas. Discarded, since it ruins the experience even more.
b) Tried monitoring with the AMD adrenalin software, which also lets you overclock and undervolt
Results: The GPU clock never goes beyond 1600Mhz. When i saw this i was blafergasted. I couldn't believe it. I disabled UPLS and it didn't fix that. I overclocked. Nothing fixed my problem. I just wanted constant 60fps... At 1080p that should be a piece of cake right?

Could it be possible that the problem is the MEMORY CLOCK? Why is the main clock not getting "squeezed"?
GoW runs on DX11 and for whatever reason runs like trash on both Nvidia and AMD cards for some people and others of both camps found it ran great for them.

The best way to experience this game for me was under DXVK on Linux where shaders are preloaded before ever playing the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
GoW runs on DX11 and for whatever reason runs like trash on both Nvidia and AMD cards for some people and others of both camps found it ran great for them.

The best way to experience this game for me was under DXVK on Linux where shaders are preloaded before ever playing the game.

his pc specs were holdding back is xtx in a big way

My bad;

MB: GIGABYTE Z270 HD3
CPU: I7 7700K Oc'd to 4,6
RAM: 32GB DDR3
Disk: 1tb NvMe msi 480 pro

7700k is starting to show its age in 2024, quad cores dont really cut it thease days unless playing older less demanding titles

Last edited:
Soldato
The last gen £2000 RTX 3090 TI almost makes an RX 7900 XTX for £800 seem like an OK price, considering the XTX is a notably faster GPU.

Realistically, I doubt we will see the price of these cards drop to £700.

It's truly nuts that the Nvidia's flagship RTX 4090 is only around 20% faster than the XTX. There's almost no difference in memory bandwidth, between the two cards.

Last edited:
Associate
The last gen £2000 RTX 3090 TI almost makes an RX 7900 XTX for £800 seem like an OK price, considering the XTX is a notably faster GPU.

Realistically, I doubt we will see the price of these cards drop to £700.

It's truly nuts that the Nvidia's flagship RTX 4090 is only around 20% faster than the XTX. There's almost no difference in memory bandwidth, between the two cards.
Assuming you do not care about RT that much then the XTX murders the 4090 in value.

Associate
For those interested my Horizon forbidden west settings for a 7900XTX.
Max Frequency 2800Mhz / Voltage 1150 / Vram Max Frequency 2700 / Fast timing / Power limit -10 / SAM enabled.
Its not the fastest however I did notice a small frame rate drop from pulling 450Watts.
It now pulls only 360 watts :D
All max settings except the post processing stuff which looks horid.
Getting about 100 to 120 FPS at 3840x1600 native.
Lovely looking game.

Caporegime
Has anyone switched from a 4090 to 7900xtx? might be selling my 4090 just looking for some quick opinions, this will just tide me over until 5090 if so.
I've had both cards mate and the XTX is a great option, still retains almost the rasterization power of a 4090 if you're not too bothered about RT gubbins :)

I've only got a 90 due to it only costing me a few hundred over the 80 I used to have, it is proper overkill for my needs tbf. Blackwell rumoured to be hitting sooner than expected so I may do the same at some point.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had both cards mate and the XTX is a great option, still retains almost the rasterization power of a 4090 if you're not too bothered about RT gubbins :)

I've only got a 90 due to it only costing me a few hundred over the 80 I used to have, it is proper overkill for my needs tbf. Blackwell rumoured to be hitting sooner than expected so I may do the same at some point.
Yeah I'm pre-emptively trying to get rid of it, just to minimise my overall losses really, I also haven't needed the raw power of the 4090 for the most part either, but it's still nice to have the overhead for when you do, and knowing even if you wanted to, there is nothing else better available :cry:

All of that is good to know thank you. Now to wait and see if the sale comes through or not in the next day or so, then I'll have to decide on this or a bigger downgrade and just save the pennies for later in the year :D

Associate

You mean you will :D :D :D

Associate
How happy are you 7900 xtx owners with amd? I currently have a 3080 that i can probably sell for 600£ and I can get a 7900 xtx asus tuf for 900£ almost brand new with warranty. Seems like a no brainer to me? a 4080 is around 1200£ where I live.

Very happy with mine. (XTX pulse) will probably keep this one a few years.

Soldato
Wife has a 3840x1600 UW so decided to see if I can get a bit more out of her 7900XT Nitro+, given how overbuilt it is.

Unfortunately she does not seem to have won the lottery when it comes to memory OC, her card runs 2487MHz out of the box, and once I go past around 2537 real (2550 in control panel), I start to get occasional errors in memtest vulkan which is certainly nowhere near as high as some have managed (I don't want to be seeing even a single error in a 1 hour or so test run, so even if there are VERY occasional memory errors, they're unlikely to cause any major issues.

This being said, she does seem to have a pretty decent core chip. I've been able to stick the power to +15 (400W), leave the fan on auto, set maximum core clocks to 3100 to allow it to do its thing and it so far seems to be stable on an undervolt at 1015mv, which from my reading seems to be on the decent side. In tandem with that overbuilt Nitro cooler it's then generally sitting around 2.9GHz under load, sometimes dropping into upper 2.8GHz range during load however I saw it breach 3GHz a few times to around the 3050MHz mark also.

This seems pretty good, and the card still isn't overwhelmingly noisy. DLSS/RT aside, this 7900xt is kicking the daylight out of my 3080 and making me a little jealous hahah

Correct me if I'm wrong though, but from what I'd seen, anything lower than 1050mv UV stable for a 7900XT seems pretty decent, with 1000mv being golden sample territory?
The official game clock is 2220, and boost clock is 2560, so seeing a good 10-20% above that boost clock seems pretty good going?

Either way, if this proves to be stable across a wider gamut of games and longer play sessions, I likely won't push the undervolt any further. If it was my card I'd be trying to find that exact stability line/how far I could go, but even if her card will hit a little lower; stability is more important for her machine :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom