• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 5 - unbelievable.

Soldato
Absolutely gorgeous, its unbelievable how far graphics have come. Just really hoping this actually translates to games, and we dont get a dumbed down version like so many times before.

Tekken 8 trailer looks astounding!
I'm the opposite new games to me look slightly prettier but with a performance drop that in no way warrants the barely perceivable graphical improvements.

Like others have mentioned I would rather see advances on AI, physics and innovative gameplay instead.

Man of Honour
Like others have mentioned I would rather see advances on AI, physics and innovative gameplay instead.

I really hate the approach to AI in most games - there are some advanced/lifelike behaviours you can't do without an advanced AI system but you can make AI feel and act far more dynamically and challenging with an approximation of AI behaviour which almost no developers do using mostly just random choices rather than logic but perceptually is producing a close enough effect most people won't care/notice.

Though these days we have the CPU power on tap to do it properly.

The one I'd really like to see worked on is water physics/rendering - you can have an unbelievable looking scene until you notice the waterfall is just billboard sprites, etc. LOL.

Soldato
I really hate the approach to AI in most games - there are some advanced/lifelike behaviours you can't do without an advanced AI system but you can make AI feel and act far more dynamically and challenging with an approximation of AI behaviour which almost no developers do using mostly just random choices rather than logic but perceptually is producing a close enough effect most people won't care/notice.

The one I'd really like to see worked on is water physics/rendering - you can have an unbelievable looking scene until you notice the waterfall is just billboard sprites, etc. LOL.
I must be getting old but my biggest issue with modern games is boring predictably. NPC's are dumb, the mechanics are the same they've been forever. It's probably why I gravitate to multiplayer games for the unpredictable gameplay. We need a big leap in the way games are designed. It's fine if you're young and it's all new but when you can remember all the way back to the Atari 2600 it's all a bit samey. I'd love to see AI used to change this.

Associate
I must be getting old but my biggest issue with modern games is boring predictably. NPC's are dumb, the mechanics are the same they've been forever. It's probably why I gravitate to multiplayer games for the unpredictable gameplay. We need a big leap in the way games are designed. It's fine if you're young and it's all new but when you can remember all the way back to the Atari 2600 it's all a bit samey. I'd love to see AI used to change this.
It doesn't help that most games aren't designed for easy modding anymore.
I modded Total War games for over 10 years, Mount & Blade for quite a while as well and before that several other RTS.
Part of Skyrim's prolonged success is how players have been able to do amazing things with it, something that is becoming rare.

Man of Honour
One of the talk episodes with Linus was how AI like ChatGPT etc could and should revolutionise gaming going forwards. Imagine a game world where depending on what happens with an NPC's individual story, they stuff AI discusses with other NPCs, dictates what you can do in the game world, like if you negatively impacted an NPC by doing them wrong, the AI will behind the scenes whilst you are away plot something against you leading to a totally unpredictable situation yo have to deal with the next time you encounter them, or returning to a game after completing it and stuff alla round is completely different because AI dynamically changes based on the lives those NPCs live out?

Replay value to any game would be order of magnitude enhanced in a way never seen before.

Soldato
One of the talk episodes with Linus was how AI like ChatGPT etc could and should revolutionise gaming going forwards. Imagine a game world where depending on what happens with an NPC's individual story, they stuff AI discusses with other NPCs, dictates what you can do in the game world, like if you negatively impacted an NPC by doing them wrong, the AI will behind the scenes whilst you are away plot something against you leading to a totally unpredictable situation yo have to deal with the next time you encounter them, or returning to a game after completing it and stuff alla round is completely different because AI dynamically changes based on the lives those NPCs live out?

Replay value to any game would be order of magnitude enhanced in a way never seen before.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Yep. I have been thinking of this for a while. That would be awesome! I have always wanted a game like that. I am sure we will get something like that, but will be in like 5-10 years time, a proper good triple a one that takes gaming to another level that is. I am sure we will get small steps towards it in games as soon as this year however.

Soldato

Players are also to be blamed as well. Just tell something is off with a pieces of gameplay and you'll see people defending it strongly if they've liked the game. Case in point TLOU, with weak enemies, artificial gameplay elements to the point it affects the story (for me), but hey... people loved it for the story! And is the same with other big names like RDR, GTA, Witcher, Fallout, TES, etc.

So... better to have our expectations higher!

Man of Honour
That will look and run just as good on a 40 series, no need for a 5090, plus the fact that it's running in the video on a 40 series lol. It's all static set props, none of those objects in the scene are destructible (yet), it all looks good though.

And yes, asset flip or just tech video demo, absolutely none of these UE5 videos shown off the past 12 months have shown any actual gameplay other than slow walking video showcases with photogrammetry in droves. It's all to drive up patreon/funding.

The day that a playable demo is released (which arguably would be MUCH more inticing for people to send some $$$ via Patreon etc) is the day I'm fully onboard with this, otherwise it's just another UE5 "photorealistic" video demo and nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom