What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Take a before photos - it is so gradual you can take it for granted.

Yeah think I'll chance the Amazon junk given they're so inexpensive compared to the legit things... Luckily the toilet well covers the holes so have lots of forgiveness.
The cheapo ones do work. Tape it up, start on an angle if it doesn't have a guide piece. Keep it wet, those things get hot.

You have a piece of hardibacker behind the bog?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a right disaster. The backer was peeling - super odd. Gave it a scrape and it's turned to dust....ripped it off, glue has basically failed (pink stuff does nothing between plaster and tileboard it seems, really odd).

Went to recut it and the last two have the word face written on the opposite side I've used....FFS...........!!!!!!!!!! I even had it on that way originally and didn't think it looked right, so flipped it.

Back to step 1...

Soldato
Adjusted a UPVC door, no longer catches on at the bottom.

Should have done it ages ago :o

I bought 5ltr of Patio Magic ready for the finer weather - I to am hoping for miracles - also got roof moss killer -5 Ltrs of Mr muscle to throw on if nothing works - I have also amassed a store of 2ltr bottles of bleach.
If that fails I have one month to get pressure washer out before they come and fit a water meter .
This year is my slab and roof cleaning year.
That just reminds me to put some moss killer out

Soldato
Just had a right disaster. The backer was peeling - super odd. Gave it a scrape and it's turned to dust....ripped it off, glue has basically failed (pink stuff does nothing between plaster and tileboard it seems, really odd).

Went to recut it and the last two have the word face written on the opposite side I've used....FFS...........!!!!!!!!!! I even had it on that way originally and didn't think it looked right, so flipped it.

Back to step 1...
So you've put them all on the wrong way around?

Man of Honour
Just mowed then scarified the front and rear lawns, then put down Mo Bacter and watered it. Been a busy afternoon, think I deserve a lemonade, the 1664 year from France.

Questionable. Was great with the green moss, but not so much with the harder to kill lichen patches. I just use strong bleach these days. Smell goes pretty quickly, effect lasts longer.
As long as it makes a difference I'm happy. They're all cotswold stone and the slightest bit of moss shows up a mile away. I can always go over with a pressure washer afterwards.

Soldato
So you've put them all on the wrong way around?
Yeah...sods law..of the 8 I checked and fitted, it was the two I left untouched that had the text 'face' printed on them in like font size 10 lol. Watched a quick vid on their website and it's like font size 50 saying 'this is the front'. You have to pay real close attention to understand front/back... I argue easy mistake to make because the rear side has 0 joins but the face has 2....seems counter intuitive.

Anyway, glad I noticed now rather than later. Just means I need to go and grab a few more sheets; as whilst I can recover 5 of the boards, I am 2 short by my maths.

------------

How it started:
hf0hfTd.jpg

How it developed:
0IOLpYr.jpg

How it ended :( :
e320p0i.jpg

I always end up doing the job 10x better the second time, anyways...

Edit: also had a mare; I forgot the plumber uses JG SpeedFit and I didn't want to mix fittings (although its probably fine). Ended up getting some 22mm copper to make a joint between the Hep2o and JG. Then forgot to get the 2x90 degree Hep2o fittings so got stuck again.

Going to focus on...
1. Finishing plumbing so I can leak test the bits hidden behind the wall
-> just need 2x Hep2o 90s in 22mm.

2. Getting the walls fully up and final fixed, so I can tank and start tiling. Had enough now :cry:

Plus side - sub-floor is solid as a rock.

---

Quick Q on the bath -- I am 6mm tileboard on 18mm chipboard. I have used an offcut of solid wood, and plywood where my solid wood is too thick, to span a joist or two. Overkill but won't cause an issue?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah...sods law..of the 8 I checked and fitted, it was the two I left untouched that had the text 'face' printed on them in like font size 10 lol. Watched a quick vid on their website and it's like font size 50 saying 'this is the front'. You have to pay real close attention to understand front/back... I argue easy mistake to make because the rear side has 0 joins but the face has 2....seems counter intuitive.

Anyway, glad I noticed now rather than later. Just means I need to go and grab a few more sheets; as whilst I can recover 5 of the boards, I am 2 short by my maths.

------------

How it started:
hf0hfTd.jpg
I was looking at this the other day thinking these boards look like they have been lifted from a skip. Is that actually the wrong face on show?

Soldato
I was looking at this the other day thinking these boards look like they have been lifted from a skip. Is that actually the wrong face on show?
Haha I mulled it over tonnes... in fact I even fitted them the "right way" once and flipped them over because they didn't look right. It is a weird material, nothing like the marmox insulated stuff or Hardibacker. In those pics its the "back" on show; but the face isn't much better!

Soldato
Bonus of having to rip everything off tho - I deffo am fitting a bum gun. I had gone past the point of no return but I am back to having it on the table; some would call it fate.

What is the fitting I need so I can isolate it? They do quite pretty chrome fittings IIRC?

Soldato
Bonus of having to rip everything off tho - I deffo am fitting a bum gun. I had gone past the point of no return but I am back to having it on the table; some would call it fate.

What is the fitting I need so I can isolate it? They do quite pretty chrome fittings IIRC?

I'm going to admit that I googled "bum gun", and now I know. Much prefer the Muslim name for it, shatafa, equally as descriptive as bum gun!

Soldato
Haha I mulled it over tonnes... in fact I even fitted them the "right way" once and flipped them over because they didn't look right. It is a weird material, nothing like the marmox insulated stuff or Hardibacker. In those pics its the "back" on show; but the face isn't much better!
Did you get a 'deal' on those boards or just find them in a skip? :cry:

Associate
Just covered the rear patio with patio magic, first time I've used it so I'm keen to see the results.

Next time consider just buying benzalkonium chloride (BAC), its the same chemical as patio magic, but the last time I bought some it was less than a fifth of the cost. I mix it down from the supplied 50% to 2 to 2.5% which is also stronger than the 1:4 ratio of patio magic provides which I think used to be about 1.75%.

BAC takes a long time to work unlike sodium hypochlorite which is favoured by companies for patio/roof/wall cleaning as it works much faster. However the results with BAC last longer and it isn't damaging to most surfaces as its just a biocide not bleach like sodium hypochlorite. Over the course of a year I turned an awful looking block paving drive and a patio back to great condition from green and spotted. I now just treat both with BAC and sealer every two years.

Back
Top Bottom