What Virtual Reality games are you playing?

Associate
Been really into modding and playing Skyrim VR again lately.
Using Wabbajack to download a pre-defined mod-list and then tweaking it, or adding extra mods you like is just so easy with Mod Organiser 2.
I uninstalled fully and re-installed Skyrim VR, then used Wabbajack to find and install the FUS mod-list.

For me, turning off the in-game settings "Dynamic resolution" and "TAA" completely turned off all bluryness + made it crystal clear, close up and far in the distance. Leave the supersampling at minimum in game. In MO2 you can then select the 'ENB and Reshade' option to give the overall look you desire.
I've also had some fun adding the CBBE, 3BA, armour (model), skin (faces), skeleton, etc. mods to enhance the way many of the NPCs look and feel!!

To me it blows everything else away as far as visually for PCVR games, although I reckon once the 5090 GPUs come we'll be able to run the Cyperpunk mod just as well.

Soldato
The Last Clockwinder.

It's a game that has got amazing reviews and people seem to like the story and the puzzles. I was looking forward to trying this game as it's been on my wishlist for ages and I love puzzle games like the Talos Priniciple VR and I Expect You To Die. Just there was always some other games that I wanted to get and kept pushing this back. I had few days free over Christmas, so I bought it and finished it two days ago.

I was pretty disappointed to be honest. The story was ok, nothing amazing. It was the puzzles that were a big let down. None of the problems were hard to solve. In fact they were quite easy. Getting the Automatons to do what you wanted was finicky and tedious. I didn't feel a sense of achievement when I finished a room, just relief. However, I will say that when you finish a room and your Automatons are working away in harmony, it does look cool.

If I had paid full price for this I would have been really unhappy. As it is, it's a very average game. And I give it a rating of "meh"

Associate
The Last Clockwinder.

It's a game that has got amazing reviews and people seem to like the story and the puzzles. I was looking forward to trying this game as it's been on my wishlist for ages and I love puzzle games like the Talos Priniciple VR and I Expect You To Die. Just there was always some other games that I wanted to get and kept pushing this back. I had few days free over Christmas, so I bought it and finished it two days ago.

I was pretty disappointed to be honest. The story was ok, nothing amazing. It was the puzzles that were a big let down. None of the problems were hard to solve. In fact they were quite easy. Getting the Automatons to do what you wanted was finicky and tedious. I didn't feel a sense of achievement when I finished a room, just relief. However, I will say that when you finish a room and your Automatons are working away in harmony, it does look cool.

If I had paid full price for this I would have been really unhappy. As it is, it's a very average game. And I give it a rating of "meh"

Cheers, I had this on my wishlist. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on it after reading this.

Soldato
Cheers, I had this on my wishlist. Glad I didn't pull the trigger on it after reading this.
Ditto that.

The reviews on this are overwhelmingly positive. So chances are you will probably like it. It's quaint and has a lot of charm. The voice acting is superb. It needs to be as that how the story is told. It's all narrated through conversations between the main character and a guy on the other end of radio. You never see anybody.

But, the puzzles are very repetitive and they all involve throwing things. From one automaton to another or from an Automaton to the collection bins or compactors. The throwing and catching is very frustrating and the physics doesn't work right all the time. Which is very annoying when you set up a chain of automatons and something messes up at the start. It means you have to redo the whole thing again.

Associate
How has VR came on over the time? Is it still requiring big £ to be worthwhile or is it now more affordable with good quality?

Previously it was very low resolution and in the infancy - is there much content?

Soldato
How has VR came on over the time? Is it still requiring big £ to be worthwhile or is it now more affordable with good quality?

Previously it was very low resolution and in the infancy - is there much content?
i am on my 5th vr headset now (DK2, rift CV1, Reverb G2, Quest 2 and now quest pro (though we still have the Q2)

i would say the improvement has been impressive. the PC VR requirements have only gone up a bit, and with gpu power going up you dont need a monster gaming pc now. a 3060ti will give you a decent experience.

it is much more convenient now, you dont need the external sensors any more, the tracking is built into the headset (or if you are fortunate enough to have the meta touch pro controllers they track themselves)

and if you buy a quest 3 - which is what 90% of people wanting to try VR for the 1st time should probably go for - you dont even need a pc as all the compute is built into the head set.

its not gonna be quite as pretty as when hooked to a pc, but its still very impressive and you can always use on a pc at a later date if you want.

Soldato

Lots of content, especially standalone. Graphics aren't necessarily that flash, but that doesn't always mean it's not beautiful.

My recommendation to people is grab a cheap 2nd hand quest 2, preferably with a different headstrap. Try that. It's more than good enough to see if you can see the potential and actually enjoy it. Then if you have the pennies, upgrade to a new q3.

2nd hand q2 with strap will probably be £150-180. And the advantage with going 2nd hand (as long as it works) is you can easily just sell it on with little to no loss if you don't enjoy it.

Associate
Excellent, thanks - sounds like solid advice!

Do people still struggle with motion sickness / longevity or is it personal?
Some people are more prone to it than others. If u do experience it, u can acclimatize yourself to it through brief and fairly frequent VR stints which in most people with motion sickness will gradually lessen it for them. Also in most VR games you have things like snap turning, teleport, vignettes etc to reduce motion sickness. Lucky for me I've never really had it.

Soldato
Excellent, thanks - sounds like solid advice!

Do people still struggle with motion sickness / longevity or is it personal?

As above, you can build to it. You can also play games that are less likely to trigger it. Racing games, roller coasters etc are very bad for triggering it. Teleport or non-moving games, tend to be the easiest.

Associate
Been trying out Raw Data but it was a pain getting it to run properly.

Launching the game in Steam and the controls don't work properly and the only way to get them working properly is to launch the game via the Oculus app using airlink - which I don't like using but in this case is the only way to play the game. I can't seem launch games via the Oculus library using Virtual Desktop.

Associate
VTOL VR. I only came to this game/sim about a month ago and it's a work of genius from the one-man develpment "team". The fact that it was built for VR only means that it never feels clunky. Coop missions with my brother in the front seat of the helicopter are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom