What Virtual Reality games are you playing?

Soldato
I am not gaming at the moment in VR, but i have to say my movie / tv watching in VR has gone up hugely. its a shame the VR netflix streaming app is so low resolution as i love that wooden hut you sit in, last night i was curled up in bed (ill) binge watching Maniac and I kept getting drawn to the amazing snowy mountain view out of the window.

but movie watching on a VR cinema screen (actually in high res) is something else..... i always thought it was a cool curiosity with past headsets but now going wireless with the image quality of the quest pro (and i presume quest 3 as well) it is now my chosen way to watch movies if i am alone.

Soldato
I am not gaming at the moment in VR, but i have to say my movie / tv watching in VR has gone up hugely. its a shame the VR netflix streaming app is so low resolution as i love that wooden hut you sit in, last night i was curled up in bed (ill) binge watching Maniac and I kept getting drawn to the amazing snowy mountain view out of the window.

but movie watching on a VR cinema screen (actually in high res) is something else..... i always thought it was a cool curiosity with past headsets but now going wireless with the image quality of the quest pro (and i presume quest 3 as well) it is now my chosen way to watch movies if i am alone.

Using my Quest Pro is currently my favourite way to watch movies.

The new 4XVR app allows you to watch MVC encoded movies (the native 3D Blu-ray format) without having to re-encode them, and the quality is breathtaking.

I've been buying up every decent 3D Blu-ray I can find so I can watch them in VR at high quality on a huge screen. I've got several large bags full. I'm set for a few years of viewing I think!

Though I do wish like Apple Vision Pro there were streaming services offering decent quality streams of 3D movies. This is something that Meta really should have sorted out. The built in browser is also incapable of running the Web version of Netflix, which is annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
I looked at 4XVR after waiting for SkyBoxVR to sort out MVC format (they still haven't). I don't have may 3D movies yet but it did look good for the 2 minutes I could play it on what is effectively a trial version. I'm just not keen on the micro transaction thing, even it is a one-off. Why can't they just advertise it at the price it is and offer a free trial? I know it's only an App Lab app at the moment so maybe that's why but I'm holding off until they actually make it on to the official store.

Soldato
Using my Quest Pro is currently my favourite way to watch movies.

The new 4XVR app allows you to watch MVC encoded movies (the native 3D Blu-ray format) without having to re-encode them, and the quality is breathtaking.

I've been buying up every decent 3D Blu-ray I can find so I can watch them in VR at high quality on a huge screen. I've got several large bags full. I'm set for a few years of viewing I think!

Though I do wish like Apple Vision Pro there were streaming services offering decent quality streams of 3D movies. This is something that Meta really should have sorted out. The built in browser is also incapable of running the Web version of Netflix, which is annoying.
Sounds interesting. So how do you get a bluray to play? Rip it and stream from a local server?

Soldato
Sounds interesting. So how do you get a bluray to play? Rip it and stream from a local server?
Rip it using any of various methods, and then you can play it from a server, a thumbdrive or copy it to your Quest's internal storage.
The movie player 4VXR can play native Blu-ray MVC 3D files so you now only have to extract the main movie and don't have to re-encode it to SBS format. The file sizes are huge but the quality is stellar.

Associate
4XVR sounded interesting, but woah - $30 for an app not even on the store, with seemingly no attempts to be transparent on pricing?

Is it really that good? I have only just bought Skybox as I wanted to to give watching films a go, but haven't had a chance to actually use it much yet.

Soldato
You can install it as a demo. It times out after 30 days and only lets you watch 2 mins of 3D (not sure about non-3D). The cinema screen seems much smaller than SkyBoxVR to me but there's nothing wrong with the picture quality and it might even be better than SkyBox, though that could be because the screen is smaller. As I mentioned above I just don't like that it's not upfront about the cost on the store page. If/when it arrives on the Meta store (officially) I might consider it but I think I still prefer SkyBox overall.

Last edited:
Associate
4XVR sounded interesting, but woah - $30 for an app not even on the store, with seemingly no attempts to be transparent on pricing?

Is it really that good? I have only just bought Skybox as I wanted to to give watching films a go, but haven't had a chance to actually use it much yet.

I must have missed the part about $30 :eek:

Does Skybox do 3D?

Soldato
I must have missed the part about $30 :eek:

Does Skybox do 3D?
It does, but it doesn't do MVC so once you've ripped your movie you need to convert it to one of the supported formats, which is a little irritating. MVC is the most requested update on Trello for SkyBox but they just seem to be dragging their feet implementing it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Converting to side-by-side 3D at full resolution even on a decent PC can take hours, and then the quality isn't as sharp as the original MVC file (though it will be smaller).

Associate
No you need MakeMKV, or similar software, plus if you re-encode to side-by-side format (needed by Skybox and BigScreen) you also need the freeware BD3D2MK3D utility.

Great thanks, I'm going to have a look at CEX tomorrow morning and see what takes my interest!

Soldato
Great thanks, I'm going to have a look at CEX tomorrow morning and see what takes my interest!
CEX is like a box of chocolates. You never know what your're going to get!

You can order Blu-Rays off the website, but they charge postage per item so it's only worth going for the rarer ones that you really want.

Back
Top Bottom