• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
Lol, the very first bit of DIY PC I did, the GPU I bought was kinda DOA and I had to RMA it. Admittedly with a small sample size, I've had natural issues with over half the GPUs I've bought, but that does also include second hand GPUs. The only time I've had CPU/motherboard issue was due to a power surge, killed the CPU and motherboard could be RMAed.

Also just saw this, not really news with Nvidia's nonsense this gen, but at least this brings more eyes and discussion into their greed.

This could be Nvidia's only chance to finally get competitive with AMD with price points, but I feel doubtful that they will drop prices much.

Associate
Lol, the very first bit of DIY PC I did, the GPU I bought was kinda DOA and I had to RMA it. Admittedly with a small sample size, I've had natural issues with over half the GPUs I've bought, but that does also include second hand GPUs. The only time I've had CPU/motherboard issue was due to a power surge, killed the CPU and motherboard could be RMAed.

Also just saw this, not really news with Nvidia's nonsense this gen, but at least this brings more eyes and discussion into their greed.

This could be Nvidia's only chance to finally get competitive with AMD with price points, but I feel doubtful that they will drop prices much.
I’m sure I’m not alone in that I’m turned off by Nvidia since they started blatant profiteering. I’ve moved over to AMD to get a better price and reasonable raster performance without breaking the bank and suspect a lot of the market will shift as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m sure I’m not alone in that I’m turned off by Nvidia since they started blatant profiteering. I’ve moved over to AMD to get a better price and reasonable raster performance without breaking the bank and suspect a lot of the market will shift as well.
AMD aren't much better (they both settled a price fixing lawsuit years ago so make of that what you will), they both seem determined to kill PC gaming.

Have to say i agree with Jay on this, it's sad to see something I've always loved, always thought of as worth the extra spend because I'm getting a better experience, slowly becoming the reserve of a small group of elites.

Soldato
AMD aren't much better (they both settled a price fixing lawsuit years ago so make of that what you will), they both seem determined to kill PC gaming.

Have to say i agree with Jay on this, it's sad to see something I've always loved, always thought of as worth the extra spend because I'm getting a better experience, slowly becoming the reserve of a small group of elites.
Absolutely. My wife and I are in good jobs and are considered high earners. However, with two kids, a mortgage and all the stuff that involves, there isn’t a chance in hell that I could justify paying the frankly obscene prices that nvidia AND Amd charge for new components.

5-10 years ago it was possible. Now it’s just a joke. I used to consider £350 as being the price point for higher end graphics cards. Now it barely touches 1440p. The whole thing is a racket between AMD and nvidia and whilst people keep buying their overpriced nonsense they will happily keep charging you stupid money for it.

It’s a story as old as time. Have to hope Microsoft manage to pull a blinder and become a genuine competitor in the space but that seems a million miles off for now and I honestly have very little faith that they will behave any more respectfully towards their customers than the other two will.

Last edited:
Associate
Absolutely. My wife and I are in good jobs and are considered high earners. However, with two kids, a mortgage and all the stuff that involves, there isn’t a chance in hell that I could justify paying the frankly obscene prices that nvidia AND Amd charge for new components.

5-10 years ago it was possible. Now it’s just a joke. I used to consider £350 as being the price point for higher end graphics cards. Now it barely touches 1440p. The whole thing is a racket between AMD and nvidia and whilst people keep buying their overpriced nonsense they will happily keep charging you stupid money for it.

It’s a story as old as time. Have to hope Microsoft manage to pull a blinder and become a genuine competitor in the space but that seems a million miles off for now and I honestly have very little faith that they will behave any more respectfully towards their customers than the other two will.
Trouble is a lot held out as they couldn’t get a card during Covid and now can’t hold out any longer- so they’re forced to pay these prices or have no hobby

Associate

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Ah 13 years ago, when PC gaming was within reach of normal people and they were shipping 100 million cards a year and even high-end cards cost just a few hundred more than a console.

Lucky to ship 70 million a year now and high-end cards cost 3x what a console costs.
Ah, but 100 million x £350 is a lot less than 70 million x £750 or whatever the numbers are.

Soldato
Ah, but 100 million x £350 is a lot less than 70 million x £750 or whatever the numbers are.
True but see earlier comments about PC gaming slowly becoming the reserve of a small group of elites, about PC gaming becoming such a small segment of the market that companies simply don't see it as worth investing time and money in.

Associate
True but see earlier comments about PC gaming slowly becoming the reserve of a small group of elites, about PC gaming becoming such a small segment of the market that companies simply don't see it as worth investing time and money in.
GTA 6 is an example of this happening. The developers chose to release on console first to maximise profit before porting onto the small PC segment a year or two after. This is becoming more common place and there won’t be much incentive to develop for PC first anymore.

Associate
GTA 6 is an example of this happening. The developers chose to release on console first to maximise profit before porting onto the small PC segment a year or two after. This is becoming more common place and there won’t be much incentive to develop for PC first anymore.
Wait until Apple starts muscling in with Mac exclusives, PC will be useful only for retrogaming...

Soldato
GTA V sold most on PC. This is Take Two blatantly taking advantage the fact that gamers will double or even triple dip. Greed is a disease and it's everywhere.

Last edited:
Caporegime
AAA is usually not like that though and even established indies are getting greedy...

The console market is by multiple factors larger the the Gaming PC market, of course they do, it annoys me they dumb everything down to fit consoles but i can't blame them for it, its where the money is

PC's are so much more than consoles, they have so much more potential, if you're trying to exploit that potential the game can be more costly to develop, i don't know what you mean by "even established indies are getting greedy" how do you know whats cost and whats money grabbing? how would you tell the difference?

IMO one of the problems with PCMR is not just that its becoming increasingly unaffordable, we are the main drivers of that BTW, its become incredibly snobby, if one is to shout off the roof tops "Nvidia only" then Nvidia will charge you £1100 for an ##80 class card, or £800 for a ##70 class card.

Last edited:
Soldato
The console market is by multiple factors larger the the Gaming PC market, of course they do, it annoys me they dumb everything down to fit consoles but i can't blame them for it, its where the money is
You say that, and I've not checked any of their sources for this data or even what they count as revenu, but...

50-years-of-gaming-revenue.png

(Source)

Obviously that only goes up to 2020 and combined with this graph...

bpSkWsFhx68SBj56mwLYsm-970-80.png.webp

(Source)

Things have probably shifted more towards consoles but they're pretty even.

Back
Top Bottom