• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Caporegime
You say that, and I've not checked any of their sources for this data or even what they count as revenu, but...

50-years-of-gaming-revenue.png

(Source)

Obviously that only goes up to 2020 and combined with this graph...

bpSkWsFhx68SBj56mwLYsm-970-80.png.webp

(Source)

Things have probably shifted more towards consoles but they're pretty even.

That only goes up to the launch of the new consoles.

This is more upto date, though yes its much closer than i thought. :)

In 2022.

Consoles: $51.8 bn
PC: £38.2 bn

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wait, are you telling me insane GPU prices are/have had a detrimental effect on PC gaming revenue? I'm shocked, shocked i tell ya, look at how shocked i am. ;)

2023 has been one of the worst years for that and people have less money in 2023 than they had in 2022, i would be interested to see how many people are willing to pay up to 60% more for the same class of GPU.

The galling thing is it doesn't hurt AMD to sell less dGPU's, it never has. Or at the moment Nvidia.

Whatever we don't buy from AMD Sony and Microsoft will, or Valve, Asus, Lenovo, and so on........... and whatever Nvidia don't sell to us they sell to AI people for 3X as much.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems to be people still buying 4090's in the other threads. :)
Not as many as past high end cards, i mean it's certainly possible that the +30 million fewer GPU shipments per year are mainly +30 million low end cards but then that goes back to what's already been said. Why would i, as a company, invest time and money into a declining market, into a market that's slowly becoming the reserve of the elites.
The galling thing is it doesn't hurt AMD to sell less dGPU's, it never has. Or at the moment Nvidia.
It doesn't hurt either of them because they can just increase the unit price to makeup for lower volume sales, it's anyone who can't afford to increase prices or pay the higher prices that's getting caught up in the crossfire. Like i say above why should i, as a company, spend thousands developing something for PC gamers when there's not enough of them willing to pay 3x more for *insert software/hardware here* to makeup for the lack of volume.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not as many as past high end cards, i mean it's certainly possible that the +30 million fewer GPU shipments per year are mainly +30 million low end cards but then that goes back to what's already been said. Why would i, as a company, invest time and money into a declining market, into a market that's slowly becoming the reserve of the elites.

It doesn't hurt either of them because they can just increase the unit price to makeup for lower volume sales, it's anyone who can't afford to increase prices or pay the higher prices that's getting caught up in the crossfire. Like i say above why should i, as a company, spend thousands developing something for PC gamers when there's not enough of them willing to pay 3x more for *insert software/hardware here* to makeup for the lack of volume.

It costs 100's of million, billions even.... to develop a GPU arch.

Like you said if they don't have the volume they can't just krank prices, Nvidia do have volume but for AMD... if they didn't have some way of selling high end GPU architectures, that being consoles they might not bother developing them at all, if not for that they might have already wound up the dGPU business and stuck to developing APU's.

RDNA 3 will end up in the PS 5 Pro, which they will sell at volume. RX 7000 one year on barely even shows up on the Steam Hardware list.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Architectures are iterative so it can cost anything from a few hundred quid to trillions.

I said the opposite, i said if they don't have sales volume they can increase unit price.

You don't really think developing a GPU costs "a few hundred quid"

Up to a point, there is no way i'm paying £600 for a 4070, some do, but what about £700? £800? £1000?

Caporegime
That’s down to the poor pricing though, if I’m digging in and refusing to buy Nvidia because they are overpriced then I’m dam sure I ain’t overpaying for AMD.

On the AMD side IMO the 7900XT at £800 is over priced yes, that's a £700 GPU at most, i think it would be good at £650.

The 7900XTX at £1000, honestly i don't care, should be £800 but if i'm going to say that then the 4090 should only be £1000.

The 7800XT at £500 is reasonable, the 6800 was £580, so its a good bit cheaper while being 20% faster.

The 7700XT should be £420, its just too close to the £500 of the 7800XT at £450, 25% faster than the £480 6700XT.

All of AMD's GPU's give you better performance than the last gen for less. All of them.

Compare that to Nvidia...

4080. 37% faster than the 3080 for 71% more money, $1200 vs $700
4070Ti. 45% faster than the 3070Ti for 50% more money
4070. 26% faster than the 3070 for 20% more money
4060Ti. 10% faster than the 3060Ti for the same money, unless you go the 16GB one

So in every instance with Nvidia you get less performance or your money, or about the same, Where as with AMD you're always getting more for your money.

You're paying a premium, quite a large one, just for the logo.

Last edited:
Soldato
On the AMD side IMO the 7900XT at £800 is over priced yes, that's a £700 GPU at most, i think it would be good at £650.
I got one for £650 (used) from Overclockers. Quite expensive but it's been good so far.

The RX 7800 XT is good for £500, but just a shame it isn't faster than cards like the RX 6900 XT /XTX. Not enough Compute Units for that, unfortunately.

Prices have unfortunately increased since then, for the RX 7900 XT and generally any Navi 31 cards.

I wonder if Nvidia will come up with a competitor for this kind of money. I'm sure the RTX 4070 Super won't be it, even it costs around this amount.

It doesn't look there will be much competition at around this price point, because they are still charging around £760 for the cheapest new RX 4070 TIs. I think the Super version will be sold for at least that, or maybe £100 more.

Last edited:
Associate
I got one for £650 (used) from Overclockers. Quite expensive but it's been good so far.

The RX 7800 XT is good for £500, but just a shame it isn't faster than cards like the RX 6900 XT /XTX. Not enough Compute Units for that, unfortunately.

Prices have unfortunately increased since then, for the RX 7900 XT and generally any Navi 31 cards.

I wonder if Nvidia will come up with a competitor for this kind of money. I'm sure the RTX 4070 Super won't be it, even it costs around this amount.

It doesn't look there will be much competition at around this price point, because they are still charging around £760 for the cheapest new RX 4070 TIs. I think the Super version will ne sold for at least that, or maybe £100 more.
7800XT overclocked can match a 6950XT shown here:

So! AMD left performance (about 10-15%) on the table to avoid cannibalising 7900XT sales.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom