Whisperwood

Soldato
Good tips here- you got any links to the 3mm addressable ones? Definitely need it to be individually addressable so I can chuck a microcontroller on it for some fun!

I got some of the 3mm (2.7mm thick iirc) COB strips - they're limited to just set temperature though AFAIK (warm white 3000k, natural white 4000k or cool ~6000k values). I haven't seen any individually addressable COB LED strips though. They do have the benefit though of potentially really high LED density though so much less noticeable LED hotspots. You'd need to go RGB strips (which do go that thin ~3mm as well) I think for addressable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnvircC22hU <-- that's quite a good video on LED types.

Soldato
Gonna be a good one, looking forward.

I wouldn't bother with EL wire though. I tried it when I hit some issues with a motherboard lighting ring and it's just not very nice. It's dim, the colour itself feels dirty (like low CRI LEDs do) and the inverters always buzz and whine like a mother trucker.

I'd strongly suggest looking at COB LED strips and you can get some really slim ones now. Don't cheap out with no-name Chinese tat because their specs are always wrong and teh CRI is disgusting. I have a reel of 12V 3mm wide cool white which is spot on, but you can also get fully addressable versions too.
ah interesting re addressable versions. They must have been hiding!

Associate
OP
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Right, I've been deep in case design mode and I got a little distracted by some forum chat I saw on tights being great for pc filters - I have loads of them, but I thought I'd put them properly to the test! :cry::cry:

First effort video on youtube explains all - hopefully it might be of interest to some of you!

You'll spot some clips of the case design as it's emerging in this video, but now I've done with this slight detour, I'll post some more in coming days for your expert perusal - plan to continue recording video progress also (no matter how bad my skills are in both talking and video!!)

I'm always terrible at recording progress, so I'm determined to do a proper job this time!

More to come!

Last edited:
Soldato
Right, I've been deep in case design mode and I got a little distracted by some forum chat I saw on tights being great for pc filters - I have loads of them, but I thought I'd put them properly to the test! :cry::cry:

First effort video on youtube explains all - hopefully it might be of interest to some of you!

You'll spot some clips of the case design as it's emerging in this video, but now I've done with this slight detour, I'll post some more in coming days for your expert perusal - plan to continue recording video progress also (no matter how bad my skills are in both talking and video!!)

I'm always terrible at recording progress, so I'm determined to do a proper job this time!

More to come!

It's honestly fine, nothing wrong with your video or talking if im being honest. Something i need to get doing at some point too, had a channel for years but never really kicked it off properly. Might be something to do for this year :cry:, just need a tad more motivation....

Soldato
Solid first video. Pacing and editing will improve as you get your reps in. If you want a second distraction and detour, look at making up some sound dampening panels to help out with the echo on your voice recording. If you don't know of him already, check out DIY Perks on YouTube and a lot of his DIY studio projects. I can see a lot of you in his early work, actually.

Nice job, and subbed to your channel.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Solid first video. Pacing and editing will improve as you get your reps in. If you want a second distraction and detour, look at making up some sound dampening panels to help out with the echo on your voice recording. If you don't know of him already, check out DIY Perks on YouTube and a lot of his DIY studio projects. I can see a lot of you in his early work, actually.

Nice job, and subbed to your channel.
Totally agree - loads of things I've learnt/will do differently for the next one! I'm actually planning to completely redo my study in the next few months - got some cool design ideas for the ultimate pc office desk setup, so I'll build in sound ideas at this point too!!

DIY perks is great, but good reminder I'll pinch some ideas!!

Soldato
Think quite a few of us subscribed :)
Your subscribers almost doubled since yesterday
You definitely deserve some more
Few more videos and you'll be even better
Not that it was in any way bad at all
Just one of those things where repetition
Leads to being more relaxed to the camera

You OK if any of us link your channel
On some Facebook groups etc?

Associate
OP
Think quite a few of us subscribed :)
Your subscribers almost doubled since yesterday
You definitely deserve some more
Few more videos and you'll be even better
Not that it was in any way bad at all
Just one of those things where repetition
Leads to being more relaxed to the camera

You OK if any of us link your channel
On some Facebook groups etc?
Thanks McNumpty, well I value all of you guys' feedback more than anyone else, so great to hear it was useful! Definitely want to track my progress on my build, so will keep updating!

Of course, be delighted if you linked to anywhere you think would find useful!

Soldato

More to come!
Great vid, my mate has been annoying his wife for a while by stealing her new tights....she keeps telling him to take the old ones but I wont say his answer on a public forum. I still cant find where my wife hides hers....maybe she doesn't wear them, I dunno!

I have to say that the design looks brilliant, that pic of the case side is almost naughty (bad wood pun sorry), some great suggestions too. I've been Turning & VMC machining wood, Aluminium, most plastics, modelboard and steel for 35+ years (ickle lad to old git) and just got into 3d printing a couple of years ago, I've not even come close to trying a case yet so massive kudos for going full on at it like this.

So many of us have big plans, I sit at a CAD station most of the day for work and dream of what I could do, not many of us get up and do it though.

Cant wait to see the final design, amazing work so far.

Soldato
Shouldn't a bad wood pun
Be knotty :cry:
Great vid, my mate has been annoying his wife for a while by stealing her new tights....she keeps telling him to take the old ones but I wont say his answer on a public forum. I still cant find where my wife hides hers....maybe she doesn't wear them, I dunno!

I have to say that the design looks brilliant, that pic of the case side is almost naughty (bad wood pun sorry), some great suggestions too. I've been Turning & VMC machining wood, Aluminium, most plastics, modelboard and steel for 35+ years (ickle lad to old git) and just got into 3d printing a couple of years ago, I've not even come close to trying a case yet so massive kudos for going full on at it like this.

So many of us have big plans, I sit at a CAD station most of the day for work and dream of what I could do, not many of us get up and do it though.

Associate
OP

Thank you so much BeeP - as I say, it does mean a lot when you guys say stuff as you're all such experts in this stuff! I'm posting a few shots in a bit on progress - does anyone mind if I just link to my IG? Not a huge deal either way, just a bit of a faff as the forum doesn't allow image uploads, so I then post to imgur and then post to the forum which adds extra steps?

Associate
OP
Ok, here's a few update shots of the latest progress - I'm going to wind up the CNC tomorrow, in -4C weather in the garage - that's commitment for you!!

More photos over on my IG too!

2QeKWee.jpg

oBiDGMT.jpg

Tq1OULa.png

Last edited:
Associate
Wow this looks like it's going to be great! So unique. I've been eyeing up that fractal case with the wooden front for a future build but love the idea of a full wooden build like this.

Think you can tell you've caught people's attention from the number of suggestions already in this thread, everyone wants to see it come out well. Looking forward to following along.

Associate
OP
Nice machining there, what material is that?

What CNC did you use?

Sorry, 101 questions lol, just interested in all things CNC/VMC.
Sorry, this was a 3d print! This I'm pondering testing a vinyl insert on tomorrow - if it works, I'll use this for the control panel part.

The broader case will be out of walnut, but I'm trying a CNC test tomorrow in MDF/ply. I have a concern with the temps at the moment being so low, it might be below the wood glue operating temps. So I might need to wait until the weekend when the temperature is a little warmer to glue up the walnut planks for the final cut....!

Although I could just rig up the 4090 a bit early and that'd heat the garage nicely..... ;)

CNC is an OxCNC I built myself - planning to build a linear rail based one maybe later in the year.... !

Back
Top Bottom