World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Caporegime
I've just swapped my AW3423DWF for the AW3225QF, it was scheduled to be delivered on 28th Feb but turned up today :)

I use these monitors for office productivity tasks and gaming in the evening, so 80% productivity vs 20% gaming. Based upon the last couple of hours of usage, I think the 32" is much better for colour vibrancy, and the text is much clearer with no red outlines like on the 34". Plus, the 10-bit colour and extra refresh rate are nice to have.

I do miss the wider screen format for documentation writing; having two docs side-by-side was much easier on the widescreen. But in the short time I've used it, this is the best initial experience I've had with a monitor in 30 years of PC building/owning. I'm going to fire up some games tonight and have my PS5 hooked up to it, I'm looking forward to that!

Do you notice a difference from 8 bit + frc though? As baddass/tftcentral stated there is still no difference you would notice between that and true 10 bit.

Been very tempted but been on 21.9 since the start so would find it very hard going back to 16.9.

Associate
Any news of a refresh of these monitors? Would like to see one with the new panel and 360hz. Not looking at the new 4k out now as I plan on upgrading my c9 for my 4k gaming.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Do you notice a difference from 8 bit + frc though? As baddass/tftcentral stated there is still no difference you would notice between that and true 10 bit.

Been very tempted but been on 21.9 since the start so would find it very hard going back to 16.9.

The higher resolution and better panel would soon make you forget :p

You can always return it after 2 weeks.

Caporegime
The higher resolution and better panel would soon make you forget :p

You can always return it after 2 weeks.

I been trying 16.9 on my 34" so it's basically a 27" 1440p panel and it's just so bad now, feels like part of your vision is being cut of.

Best to just hold out for the 38" high res. versions now I think as I know if I got the 32" now, I would be wanting to switch to the 38" one asap.

Reactions: TNA
Associate

I disconnected my 34" and plugged the 32" into the same PC with the same settings and was surprised by the better display quality and colour depth. I wasn't expecting much difference besides the resolution and refresh rate, but this display is much more pleasant.

Associate
I do miss the extra width of the 34", it's taking some getting used to the height of this display but it's just so much sharper and clearer. Perfect PPI for me, everything looks so crystal clean.

FYI I can't tell the difference between 8 bit and 10 bit, but I am keeping it at 10 bit as why not.

Apparently this thing has a fan but I've not heard it yet, definitely better than the 34" in that regard, that thing would whir up and down every few seconds.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I been trying 16.9 on my 34" so it's basically a 27" 1440p panel and it's just so bad now, feels like part of your vision is being cut of.

Best to just hold out for the 38" high res. versions now I think as I know if I got the 32" now, I would be wanting to switch to the 38" one asap.

Won't work as well like that though as now you end up with a smaller display. You need the bigger 16:9 display to compare to see if you can deal with it. Not saying you would by the way. You might be too far gone :p

Caporegime
Won't work as well like that though as now you end up with a smaller display. You need the bigger 16:9 display to compare to see if you can deal with it. Not saying you would by the way. You might be too far gone :p
Might just buy it and try, if can't get used to it, return within 2 weeks. Be great if a 10% discount or something came up.

Associate
My screen got burn in, the taskbar. Just got off the phone to Dell who reviewed my pictures and agreed to replace. However, they warned me that they now only replace for image retention once and if it happens again they won't replace it. Said I need to avoid static images.

• Wow
Associate
TFT central has done a great right up on why QD OLED monitors are still brighter than the latest woled even though LG says their woled is 30% brighter than QDOLED

It's a long but brilliant discussion and in the end came to the conclusion that even 1st Gen QD OLED monitors are still up to 40% brighter than the latest woleds

Very interesting.

Think I'll be going shopping for one of the 175hz 34" UW QD-OLEDs.

Man of Honour
My screen got burn in, the taskbar. Just got off the phone to Dell who reviewed my pictures and agreed to replace. However, they warned me that they now only replace for image retention once and if it happens again they won't replace it. Said I need to avoid static images.
Did you take any steps to mitigate burn in?

Associate
Yes I did. Autohide taskbar and I naturally have low brightness. It's mainly because I use it 8hrs per day for work, and I am constantly in and out the taskbar. Going to go back to the ips for work. For my own mixed usage I've not seen burn in for 8 yrs, so OLED is still for me, just now know it ain't up to my office work.

Soldato

They told me this too when I exchanged mine.
Hopefully it retains it's value even though it can't be exchanged for burn-in again... It's in the MM now so we'll see

Associate
They told me this too when I exchanged mine.
Hopefully it retains it's value even though it can't be exchanged for burn-in again... It's in the MM now so we'll see
I'm actually a little intrigued around OLED sell on value. I'm already hoping I don't get a refurb as I would be concerned that it had already clocked potential burn in mileage that isn't quite visible yet. Just got a shipped notification for the replacement part. The rep on the phone said I would get a replacement tomorrow, then they will arrange pick up of the current screen, but then got a message from ups 2hrs later saying "Your replacement monitor is now being prepared for shipment. Please be aware that you must have your old monitor ready for exchange at the time of delivery. The monitor needs to be dismounted from its' base / stand and all cables disconnected where applicable".

Doesn't say if I need to box it up. Just that the monitor needs to be dismounted from its base and all cables disconnected. Did you do a swap at the door for your replacement?

Soldato
I'm actually a little intrigued around OLED sell on value. I'm already hoping I don't get a refurb as I would be concerned that it had already clocked potential burn in mileage that isn't quite visible yet. Just got a shipped notification for the replacement part. The rep on the phone said I would get a replacement tomorrow, then they will arrange pick up of the current screen, but then got a message from ups 2hrs later saying "Your replacement monitor is now being prepared for shipment. Please be aware that you must have your old monitor ready for exchange at the time of delivery. The monitor needs to be dismounted from its' base / stand and all cables disconnected where applicable".

Doesn't say if I need to box it up. Just that the monitor needs to be dismounted from its base and all cables disconnected. Did you do a swap at the door for your replacement?

I was supposed to take their replacement out of the box and put my return in the box but when they came they said it didn't matter because there was a return label with it. So they delivered it and I was able to test it, then I put mine in the box which the replacement came in, stuck the return label on it and dropped it at the UPS depot the next day because I was passing there anyway. They've received my old one now and the exchange is marked as complete so I guess it's all good

Associate
Replacement arrived today. Brand new, so I am pleased. Not going to use it for work anymore though :D got to add how quick the turn around was. Reported yesterday lunch time and new monitor at 1330 next day.

Last edited:
Associate
What would you guys choose between the MEG 342C and the 34M2C8600?

Can get both of them cheaper than the Dell/Alienware.

I quite like the idea of the Ambiglow for decent bias lighting onto my wall behind due to desk setup, but I'm struggling to find out if it supports DSC so that its DP 1.4 can handle 8bit+frc. The MSI has HDMI 2.1, but confirmed no DSC on its DP, so it's HDMI connection for it for 10bit at 175hz.

Last edited:
Associate
Argh, think I'm going with a Y34wz-30 now. A bit of a paper launch monitor, or at least, not many have bought it. Seems a reasonable upgrade from my current VA panel (MPG341CQR) in regards to HDR and 165hz vs 144hz with HDMI 2.1.

As much as I'd love an OLED for content, I do a bit of work/typing on the computer and the combination of lots of static elements with the non-standard pixel layout is just turning me off. The 4K monitors seem that they'll hide text fringing soo much better, but I simply refuse to change from 21:9 now lol.

Newer gen UW OLEDs seem a bit off still, especially anything that may use a better pixel layout.

Back
Top Bottom