World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
I've replaced 2 for burn-in, 1 was replaced for those screen marks that could not be removed, hence I am on the 4th currently after 3 replacements. The next replacement under warranty will probably be for something defective.

Probably :p

Were any of your replacements refurbed panels or brand new?

I’ve had one replacement back in Sept and thankfully it was brand new unopened in the proper box packaging you’d expect as a new purchase.

This was after they were telling me the replacements they send out were refurbished panels. A friend of mine received a refurbished panel and was packaged in an unmarked box etc

I was surprised I received a brand new panel, with the latest firmware at the time, especially as they stopped selling the DW quite some time ago now.

Caporegime
Interesting, 8 bit + frc has less dithering than native 10 bit:

2ixvkcG.jpg

y7NS9jo.jpg

Soldato
This is coming with a lot more zones.

Why it only have DP 1.4 & HDMI v2.0 :(
For connectivity there are DisplayPort 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 connections provided.

Last edited:
Soldato
My screen got burn in, the taskbar. Just got off the phone to Dell who reviewed my pictures and agreed to replace. However, they warned me that they now only replace for image retention once and if it happens again they won't replace it. Said I need to avoid static images.

It a computer so of cause there going be static images for many hours everyday on it all the time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Were any of your replacements refurbed panels or brand new?

I’ve had one replacement back in Sept and thankfully it was brand new unopened in the proper box packaging you’d expect as a new purchase.

This was after they were telling me the replacements they send out were refurbished panels. A friend of mine received a refurbished panel and was packaged in an unmarked box etc

I was surprised I received a brand new panel, with the latest firmware at the time, especially as they stopped selling the DW quite some time ago now.
All were sealed brand new

Associate
Went ahead with the Y34wz-30, so I'll report back on it. Hardly anyone seems to have it, likely because of the move now to OLED and this being a "late" to the market VA panel.

I've got a 2019 VA panel in the MPG341CQR and while it did review quite well at the time this Lenovo panel is Samsung HVA I believe and its colour ratings are a bit better. Will test out the HDR as well.

If it's a decent semi-sideways upgrade I'll keep it and wait to see what UW OLEDs are like by the end of the year or at CES next year. Really want text fringing fixed and some more assurances around burn-in rather than me changing my behaviour for the monitor (obsession with restricting your wallpapers/not having lots of static desktop icons/taskbar behaviour/etc).

So putting aside getting 1 dead pixel, which IMO is enough to return for, my MPG341CQR looks better than this monitor in SDR and I found the HDR pretty underwhelming. Monitor can get really bright, but just, meh.

I guess it's OLED or bust for me. Will just have to test a 34" UW and see if text fringing is too noticeable.

Soldato
What's the Odyssey G8 like? Think I'm going to buy it. Won't be many UW options for a while, so it seems like one of the nicer models and is fanless IIRC.
It's an excellent monitor equal to the Dell plus it can act like a smart TV with built-in apps such as Netflix etc. I find the tizen system fine, but it is doing more than the dell's epg so a little hesitant when the monitor first starts up. However this has improved with each firmware incarnation. There was also issues with the monitor coming back to life when a PC went to standby but this has also been resolved.
I'm using the dp port with an adapter for my amd 6800 gfx card and can easily achieve maximum nits when set to game mode. The whole build quality feels premium but the stand does wobble a bit when moved however I notice none when typing with my Corsair mechanical keyboard.

Last edited:
Associate
It's an excellent monitor equal to the Dell plus it can act like a smart TV with built-in apps such as Netflix etc. I find the tizen system fine, but it is doing more than the dell's epg so a little hesitant when the monitor first starts up. However this has improved with each firmware incarnation. There was also issues with the monitor coming back to life when a PC went to standby but this has also been resolved.
I'm using the dp port with an adapter for my amd 6800 gfx card and can easily achieve maximum nits when set to game mode. The whole build quality feels premium but the stand does wobble a bit when moved however I notice none when typing with my Corsair mechanical keyboard.

Thanks. With the stand, I'm going to VESA mount to an arm.

Glad to hear some of the software has been patched up as well.

Are the panel care features fine, as in pixel refresh/shift and what is that adjust logo brightness like? I don't do a lot of work at home, but I will be doing some word/excel stuff on the monitor. Samsung UK warranty seems to be 2 years on these monitors, but it's a crapshoot finding out if that includes burn in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Previously I posted about there being large slabs of metal behind the plastic casing on the underside of the AW, well turns out these are actual magnets not just metal, which leads me to believe they are magnets to hold an unreleased soundbar that Dell probably planned to release maybe? I was using a magnetic tailcap on my torch before but accidentally got a USB dongle to attach to one end and realised they are rather powerful magnets!

Ok that's pretty cool !

Noob question. Would storing a USB thumb drive via magnet cause any issues with the NAND ?

Soldato
Thanks. With the stand, I'm going to VESA mount to an arm.

Glad to hear some of the software has been patched up as well.

Are the panel care features fine, as in pixel refresh/shift and what is that adjust logo brightness like? I don't do a lot of work at home, but I will be doing some word/excel stuff on the monitor. Samsung UK warranty seems to be 2 years on these monitors, but it's a crapshoot finding out if that includes burn in.
Mine has a warranty until January 2026, so a three year one. Just be aware that some find the pixel design a bit weird with desktop office apps, but I don't have any issue with them at all.
The pixel refresh refresh seems to run quite often enough and I don't notice the pixel shift or any logo brightness adjustment. Maybe I'm not sensitive to these things.
With screen burn, just take the necessary precautions, use the transparent taskbar app https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9pf4kz2vn4w9?hl=en-US&gl=US hide all desktop icons and run the brightness at 20-25.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine has a warranty until January 2026, so a three year one. Just be aware that some find the pixel design a bit weird with desktop office apps, but I don't have any issue with them at all.
The pixel refresh refresh seems to run quite often enough and I don't notice the pixel shift or any logo brightness adjustment. Maybe I'm not sensitive to these things.
With screen burn, just take the necessary precautions, use the transparent taskbar app https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9pf4kz2vn4w9?hl=en-US&gl=US hide all desktop icons and run the brightness at 20-25.

Sounds good, I have one on order so I'll see how I get on and report back!

Associate
Got my monitor in today, and holy moly black levels! There is absolutely no way to go back from this :eek:

Unfortunately, the text fringing is super obvious. I know everyone's eyes are different but now that I've experienced it myself there is no way I could believe anyone who says they 100% can't notice it. I downloaded BetterCleartypeTuner and set the contrast to 2000 and it helped a little but text almost gives my eyes a halo-ish effect. Especially white on darker backgrounds. It really does make for some horrible reading, so I can imagine anyone doing a lot of reading genuinely returning an OLED monitor :(

It would be good if MS could do something to help us out, as it seems software really does play a part, as this really does go for my eyes. Might get used to it a bit, and I'll look at Mactype, but deffo getting early adopter vibes as I'm sure in years to come this will be changed via hardware. Seeing as MS have done absolutely nothing since QD-OLED launched I'll put them in the category of "We simply don't care, he's some more preinstalled start menu bloat for this Win 11 update".

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my monitor in today, and holy moly black levels! There is absolutely no way to go back from this :eek:

Unfortunately, the text fringing is super obvious. I know everyone's eyes are different but now that I've experienced it myself there is no way I could believe anyone who says they 100% can't notice it. I downloaded BetterCleartypeTuner and set the contrast to 2000 and it helped a little but text almost gives my eyes a halo-ish effect. Especially white on darker backgrounds. It really does make for some horrible reading, so I can imagine anyone doing a lot of reading genuinely returning an OLED monitor :(

It would be good if MS could do something to help us out, as it seems software really does play a part, as this really does go for my eyes. Might get used to it a bit, and I'll look at Mactype, but deffo getting early adopter vibes as I'm sure in years to come this will be changed via hardware. Seeing as MS have done absolutely nothing since QD-OLED launched I'll put them in the category of "We simply don't care, he's some more preinstalled start menu bloat for this Win 11 update".

It's only considered bad on the 1st gen... The latest QD-OLEDs (32" of example) have it pretty much sorted

Associate
I've used Mactype and this profile https://github.com/snowie2000/mactype/issues/932#issuecomment-1598653839 (https://github.com/snowie2000/mactype/files/11800207/Clean.Optimized.QD-OLED.zip)

Seems to help a bit, text clarity still isn't quire as sharp but the fringing/pink is lessened.

Natural light really does change the black to more of a purple/grey, but I did know this before purchase. It doesn't take much natural light to do it would be my only warning.

edit - I was looking at text in some word documents and couldn't notice fringing, but this was Word as standard (white pages). Switched to dark mode/black and noticed it. So yeah, seems the fringing is at it's worst in dark modes, sadly, as most people are probably trying to use them with OLED panels lol. I guess with Word I'll just stick to light mode :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom