World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Argh, think I'm going with a Y34wz-30 now. A bit of a paper launch monitor, or at least, not many have bought it. Seems a reasonable upgrade from my current VA panel (MPG341CQR) in regards to HDR and 165hz vs 144hz with HDMI 2.1.

As much as I'd love an OLED for content, I do a bit of work/typing on the computer and the combination of lots of static elements with the non-standard pixel layout is just turning me off. The 4K monitors seem that they'll hide text fringing soo much better, but I simply refuse to change from 21:9 now lol.

Newer gen UW OLEDs seem a bit off still, especially anything that may use a better pixel layout.

This is coming with a lot more zones.

Associate
This is coming with a lot more zones.

Damn, that looks nice, thanks for the heads up. VA too, which I prefer as long as it's a good VA panel (shoot me IPS bros :p)

edit - Wait, this is IPS I think

Last edited:
Associate
Bit strange I've seen it reported as an IPS and VA depending on the outlet lol. I rather it was VA.

Predator range has long been IPS so I'd stick with that.

It seems VA panels struggle to get lots of zones for whatever reason, it's always IPS that ends up over 1000, let alone this monitor going over 2000.

Looks like it'll be a great monitor but the IPS glow, standard contrast and usually backlight bleed drives me mental with IPS. Decent fast VA panels and I don't really tend to notice smearing much (and I don't play any super competitive FPS).

Last edited:
Associate
Predator range has long been IPS so I'd stick with that.

It seems VA panels struggle to get lots of zones for whatever reason, it's always IPS that ends up over 1000, let alone this monitor going over 2000.

Looks like it'll be a great monitor but the IPS glow, standard contrast and usually backlight bleed drives me mental with IPS. Decent fast VA panels and I don't really tend to notice smearing much (and I don't play any super competitive FPS).
I'm the same, went from an IPS to VA and didn't notice the smearing and the first thought was wow, i now have contrast :p

Associate
Went ahead with the Y34wz-30, so I'll report back on it. Hardly anyone seems to have it, likely because of the move now to OLED and this being a "late" to the market VA panel.

I've got a 2019 VA panel in the MPG341CQR and while it did review quite well at the time this Lenovo panel is Samsung HVA I believe and its colour ratings are a bit better. Will test out the HDR as well.

If it's a decent semi-sideways upgrade I'll keep it and wait to see what UW OLEDs are like by the end of the year or at CES next year. Really want text fringing fixed and some more assurances around burn-in rather than me changing my behaviour for the monitor (obsession with restricting your wallpapers/not having lots of static desktop icons/taskbar behaviour/etc).

Last edited:
Associate
DWF back on offer. Might contact Dell to clarify their burn-in policy.

Yeah that's a decent price if you can combine it with cashback. My bluelight discount unfortunately only works on certain monitors (10% off on Monitors (G, AW, S, SE)).

You can maybe pick these up even a bit cheaper if you go open box/returns/2nd hand now, but there is just no way I'd consider an OLED monitor unless I had a burn-in warranty. Many warranties not being transferable from original buyer.

I would like to say I'm tempted but I just don't think I'll get over text fringing and then burn in worries over me being too lazy to change my behaviours around desktop/work use.

Enjoy if you get one!

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah that's a decent price if you can combine it with cashback. My bluelight discount unfortunately only works on certain monitors (10% off on Monitors (G, AW, S, SE)).

You can maybe pick these up even a bit cheaper if you go open box/returns/2nd hand now, but there is just no way I'd consider an OLED monitor unless I had a burn-in warranty. Many warranties not being transferable from original buyer.

I would like to say I'm tempted but I just don't think I'll get over text fringing and then burn in worries over me being too lazy to change my behaviours around desktop/work use.

Enjoy if you get one!

It's a shame there isn't that many miniled options right now, especially if you want an ultrawide.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a shame there isn't that many miniled options right now, especially if you want an ultrawide.

There's a reasonable number, the AOC AGON AG344UXM is quite cheap on Rainforest warehouse deals, but a criticism of that monitor is how bright it remains in SDR at the lowest brightness lol. Burn your retinas doing spreadsheets. And of course it's IPS, though as I said before when HDR is on IPS doesn't seem much of an issue. It's just in SDR/games without HDR you're going to have poor contrast/glow more noticeable.

The AOC has no curve either which I think I may prefer on a 32", but no curve on an UW isn't as ergonomic IMO. Even an 1800R helps a little with your field of vision.

UW VA panels with miniled seem to be rare/abandoned, but then again, outwith real budget monitors VA seems to be quite abandoned full stop now. Giving that monitor above a chance given it's a Samsung HVA panel.

Last edited:
Associate
There's a reasonable number, the AOC AGON AG344UXM is quite cheap on Rainforest warehouse deals, but a criticism of that monitor is how bright it remains in SDR at the lowest brightness lol. Burn your retinas doing spreadsheets. And of course it's IPS, though as I said before when HDR is on IPS doesn't seem much of an issue. It's just in SDR/games without HDR you're going to have poor contrast/glow more noticeable.

The AOC has no curve either which I think I may prefer on a 32", but no curve on an UW isn't as ergonomic IMO. Even an 1800R helps a little with your field of vision.

UW VA panels with miniled seem to be rare/abandoned, but then again, outwith real budget monitors VA seems to be quite abandoned full stop now. Giving that monitor above a chance given it's a Samsung HVA panel.

Can't be worse than the Phillips VA which is supposedly very slow.

Back
Top Bottom