Yodel Delivery Service - OMG!

Soldato
Had a terrible experience with them in Jan this year.

Package took 14 days to reach me (after paying for Priority delivery with a well known online retailer) - with me phoning them 4 times in the 2 weeks - twice with them saying they attempted delivery - and then stating they had taken a photo of my front door as proof of delivery attempted (with no sign of any delivery cards) ????

When I asked them whether the door had windows in it - they said no - to which I said yes it has - 2 big massive windows in fact - at which point they stated the picture taken was very poor quality - so I asked them to email it to me.... when they paused and said they couldn't send it on as it wasn't in any computer format (even though the driver managed to send it back to HQ ???? )

On the 13th day - the status then changed to delivered on the website (and I still hadn't received it and had basically stayed in or rushed back home for the 2 weeks) - at which point I phoned and put in a formal complaint - only for it to arrive the next day with the driver saying he hadn't ever been at my address before.

Last edited:
By remarkable coincidence, I had my first delivery with Yodel only last week, for a pair of headphones. I got carded, which said that I can either wait in the house following day for delivery (not an option for me) or collect it from Lichfield which is like 75 minutes bus journey from Stafford. I ring them up, no answer, so left a message. 10 minutes later, a knock on my door from one of my neighbours who had my headphones and gave it to me. Now the thing is, there was on option on the card to say that they have left it with a neighbour but that wasn't ticked, so was a bit misleading. To be fair though, Yodel did return my call.

Man of Honour
Yodel, HDNL, DHL - it's all basically the same thing and it's not a great service to be honest. One of my customers trades with them (price-based decision) and are finding them to be increasingly unreliable and cumbersome to deal with.

Permabanned
I was just about to moan about Yodel - ordered an HP touchpad that didn't turn up at work today, I called Argos and they said "oh, delivery was attempted at 18:07, no access to building" which is funny because I had been talking to one of the security guards I know at 18:05 to see if I had a package and they man the reception 24x7. Delivery must have been 'attempted' literally as I called Argos to chase it up.

I was just about to moan about Yodel - ordered an HP touchpad that didn't turn up at work today, I called Argos and they said "oh, delivery was attempted at 18:07, no access to building" which is funny because I had been talking to one of the security guards I know at 18:05 to see if I had a package and they man the reception 24x7. Delivery must have been 'attempted' literally as I called Argos to chase it up.

Same here a month ago, expecting a valuable parcel at work, didnt arrive, or at least I couldnt find it. Got home and checked and it wasnt updated, tried about 10pm and at 8.something they had posted no one in to take delivery. But we have 24 hours security...
Next day I check with security who advise that Yodel hadnt been on site day before. Half their drivers are banned from our site due to failing to follow correct proceedures such as speed in pedestrian right of way areas.
So I speak to our manager who deals with them, long story short the person who was supposed to deliver couldnt be arsed to finish their round so went home and delivered it the next day. They put the no one there **** to meet performance stats.

Soldato
Those statuses might just be codes they fill in but the real reason might be completely different than what it says.

Also even if it was checked in it wouldn't have to mean that it was physically checked in at the depot, it could have been that someone at the depot/head office registered that it was going there later as they couldn't deliver.

Ive had cases where people have said they have been home on 4 different days and been absolutely furious. Then when i asked if there were any issues like does the doorbell work etc. They said oh, well the doorbell doesn't have our name on it and we live in a block building. :rolleyes: Some companies are just hopeless though :(

Associate
OP
Guys! Icing on the rotton cake!

So, the story of the failed deliveries is over like I said, we got it, it was damaged, now we've got to deal with that...

However, I bought something from a massive online retailer recently, and decided to return it for whatever reason. Their returns are normally great but when I noticed that it was going to be collected by Yodel, I thought oh great, in the middle of one mess (this was a couple of days ago) and now I'm getting involved with them involuntarily.

So, booked for today, between 7 and 7 (Yodel times, even though its an office address). So I got into work early and lo and behold, its nearly 7 and no one has shown up to collect my parcel.

So I just called, nothing is booked, nothing they can do, just a rude girl on the line who couldn't be bothered to talk to me. How on earth do they get contracts with the countries biggest retailers???

Called Amazon, apologised and rebooked tomorrow with City Link.

It just gets better.

Soldato
My disaster was with Amazon too, but to be fair - their phone based complaints were very good. It was just the Yodel phone support that were a lying bunch of scumbags. Each time I called them, they were unprofessional, they couldn't find my details and even had no record of the items in transit (even though I had it listed from their own website on the PC in front of me) - this was even before they claimed to have attempted delivery twice (even though my wife was in all day with our newborn) and then lied about our front door.

Even Amazon were shocked at the service I had received from their so called priority delivery firm (apologised and refunded me the extra delivery charges) after I detailed it all in an E-mail.

Last edited:
Soldato
Used them quite a lot, sending parcels to all regions of the UK, and not had any problems, the Rochdale depot is quite good, maybe not the friendliest bunch, but they do their job, and accept my packages if I cant be bovved waiting in from 7-7 to have something collected, what more can I ask for?

One I would shy away from using is Hermes!

Soldato
Yep I don't rate them either. I use Parcel2go now and again and always stick with City Link. Same as OP, the usual card through door when there wasn't one, or couldn't find the address balls. Totally rubbish!

Soldato
Doesn't yodel work by employing any "man 'n van" drivers? Depot next to our work is full of rental vans, old LDV's and small courier vans.

Man of Honour
So I just called, nothing is booked, nothing they can do, just a rude girl on the line who couldn't be bothered to talk to me. How on earth do they get contracts with the countries biggest retailers???
Aside from their inflexibility, this was my biggest issue with them. By far the most apathetic telephone CS I've received (not the rudest, that award goes to Post Office Insurance/BISL)

I could almost hear the girl shrugging her shoulders down the phone.

Associate
I had a nightmare with Yodel, took 5 days for my next day parcel to arrive.

Also I could not collect it from the depot the day after they finally attempted to deliver it (I missed them) I had to wait 2 days and then drive 22miles each way to go get my parcel.

Just to top it off their website tracking did not work for me.

Useless company

Back
Top Bottom