Your favourite chilli sauce is?

Soldato
Saw some Thai Dragon Siracha sauce in my local tesco nice price £1.99 455ml and prefer it over the Flying Goose tastes a hotter /cleaner no after taste . With these Siracha sauce I just use exclusively as a dip for my tuna and cheese salad wraps yum. I see these sauces as a Spicy ketchup and would not personally find a use for these in cooking recipes.

The Flying Goose version has MSG in it but I don’t believe the Thai Dragon one does.

I prefer a bit of MSG for enhancing flavours but the one with extra garlic is unreal. Should be the standard recipe they use imo. Absolute beaut!

Soldato
Made 2 types of chilli sauce last night

Ingredients:

• Bell peppers
  • Big red mild chillies
  • Hot green 'finger' chillis (might be birdseye chillies, not sure)
  • Onions
  • Black pepper
  • White vinigar
  • Salt
  • Lemon juice
  • Lime juice
  • Garlic

The second one has the folowing additions:
  • Brown sugar
  • Black rum
  • Paprika
  • Rice bran oil
Both are very tasty!

Last edited:
Soldato
Made 2 types of chilli sauce last night

Ingredients:

• Bell peppers
  • Big red mild chillies
  • Hot green 'finger' chillis (might be birdseye chillies, not sure)
  • Onions
  • Black pepper
  • White vinigar
  • Salt
  • Lemon juice
  • Lime juice
  • Garlic

The second one has the folowing additions:
  • Brown sugar
  • Black rum
  • Paprika
  • Rice bran oil
Both are very tasty!

what does the Rice Bran Oil and Black Rum add?

Soldato
Cheers, I'm trying to understand how certain ingredients affect recipes without getting too Heston about it

You can pretty much freestyle it with chilli sauce really...
Oh I forgot i put a glug of maple syrup in it aswell.
lemon and lime adds a citrusy tang, but if it gets too much you can calm it down by adding sugar or syrup/honey.
Helps as a preservative aswell, along with vinigar.
I like to use plenty of garlic, just because.
Onions and bell peppers to bulk it out without adding too much heat

Soldato
Mostly if it gets too bitter, add something sweet, and if its too sweet add something bitter or acidic, like white vinigar (don't use malt or chip shop type vinigar) or citrus juice.
Its kind of like a balancing act depending on what taste you have.

Basil and corriander are quite popular herbs to put in too, but again its all about personal preference and experimenting.

With regards to what chillies to use, or how much vs the bulk ingredients of bell peppers and oinions, again, it depends how hot you like it.

I tend to make chilli sauce more on the mild/medium heat side of things so it's more versatile. You can always add more chilli if you want, but if it's weapons grade 'hot' to start with, it's kinda limiting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not so much a Chilli sauce so to speak, but tried this tonight and was absolutely blown away.

Flying Goose with extra garlic is my favourite Chilli sauce for dipping and dressings, but this hands down is the best for cooking with.

Incredible!

Bxs1MOml.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Not so much a Chilli sauce so to speak, but tried this tonight and was absolutely blown away.

Flying Goose with extra garlic is my favourite Chilli sauce for dipping and dressings, but this hands down is the best for cooking with.

Incredible!

Bxs1MOml.jpeg
Have some of this but not opened yet, cant actually remember why I bought it, was probably for a recipe. The Mrs was like "bloody hell what have you wasted money on now" :p what have you used it for so far?

Soldato
I need a recommendation for a new wing sauce - our previous go to was "The Hottest *******' Wing Sauce" from Hot-Headz, but it seems to have been discontinued :( Had the perfect combination of heat, tanginess and richness, with a really nice flavour. The Hot-Headz branded Very Hot wing sauce is the closest we've found so far, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

We've tried the supermarket ones so far, none of which hit the mark.

Franks Buffalo - tangy, but nowhere near hot enough, and the flavour is a bit bland.
Sauce shop Buffalo hot sauce - too buttery, not enough tang, not much flavour, better on the heat than Franks, but still not enough
Red's buffalo wing sauce - pretty much the same as the Sauce Shop

Starting to think the best solution might be having to make our own :S

Soldato
I need a recommendation for a new wing sauce - our previous go to was "The Hottest *******' Wing Sauce" from Hot-Headz, but it seems to have been discontinued :( Had the perfect combination of heat, tanginess and richness, with a really nice flavour. The Hot-Headz branded Very Hot wing sauce is the closest we've found so far, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Franks Buffalo - tangy, but nowhere near hot enough, and the flavour is a bit bland.
Sauce shop Buffalo hot sauce - too buttery, not enough tang, not much flavour, better on the heat than Franks, but still not enough

Says it's medium hot but that's by thier standards, it's definatley hotter than Frank's etc by quite a margin.

They actually make a good selection of chili sauces, so I'd recommend thier pick 'n' mix gift packs of you get through a lot of chilli sauce.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Bit hard to recommend a product to someone who seems so very fussy about what they like.

Soldato
Bit hard to recommend a product to someone who seems so very fussy about what they like.

I wouldn't say it's fussy... The selection available in supermarkets is very limited and out of that limited choice some of them are very much like the others.

That's why I'd recommend buying it mail order from one of the several small companies in the UK... Much more interesting selection of ideas and flavours.

For example midnight 21... Carolina reaper and honey... That would make a really good sauce for wings... But by eck it's got a kick to it!

Last edited:
Soldato
But they’re all buttery. They are all literally made with lots of butter. It’s a buttery spicy sauce. Sounds like you just want a very hot wing sauce like torchbearer

I don't know why anyone would put butter in a chilli sauce... Sounds very odd!
But each to their own I guess.
A bit of oil maybe but even that's not a requirement.

Last edited:
Soldato
But they’re all buttery. They are all literally made with lots of butter. It’s a buttery spicy sauce. Sounds like you just want a very hot wing sauce like torchbearer

Yes, they are all buttery, and are made with lots of butter, that's the problem! I'm aware buffalo is a buttery spicy sauce, problem is, the supermarket ones I've referenced above are focussing on the "buttery" part, whilst mostly ignoring the "spicy", whereas the ones I've said we like are more on the tangy/spicy side.

Basically I want a hot sauce with a hint of butter, rather than a butter sauce with a hint of hot :p

I guess we could just get a normal hot sauce and melt some butter into it *ponders*

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom