Wierd question about scrap

Man of Honour
Hey guys

Was just putting away the stuff after doing the garden today and some pickup pulled up with some guy and his kid in asking if I had any scrap that wanted taking away

Now as it happened I had a microwave out back that I wanted rid of and an old fridge that we just replaced, but he could only take the microwave (funny thing is he asked if we had any cookers or washing machines so its obviously not room).

Thing is, the microwave was totally smashed up (as I like to make sure people don't get freebies out of me), so what does he get out of this. He wasn't in a business I asked that, just purely going around the estate collecting anyones scrap

So my question is, why does he do it? What benefit does he get out of it

I know it's random, but I just though I'd ask out of curiosity

Man of Honour
OP
I know it seems a bit mean. But with stuff like that, and the sort of people we get around this estate (right scroungers). I just don't like to think they are living off mine and others cast offs

I do give stuff away to good causes though through proper means like Charity shops, just I think it's a bit different people going through your rubbish and just taking it

Man of Honour
If you were/are going to throw it away anyway then I don't see what odds it makes whether someone else gets it to use or not. Heck if it makes you feel better you can comment on it if/when you visit their house, it won't exactly be classy but that is your choice.

It is probably just for the scrap value on the offchance that you have anything worthwhile, fridges however are more difficult to dispose of properly and the hassle probably isn't worth it for someone coming round on an offchance.

Associate
the value of scrap metal has risen a lot over the past few years (due to china consuming loads?) as shown here http://www.eurofer.org/index.php/eng/Facts-Figures/Figures/Scrap-price-index

and given the amount of junk people generally have lying around he can probably make a fair few quid every day? he probably didn't want the fridge due to the gases they contain that have to be disposed of in a licensed facility?

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah totally forgot about the gases within fridges

Still, he took the microwave which makes the side of the house look a little nicer

Still waiting on the council to take the fridge away, charging £20 to take it :eek:

Associate
My uncle runs a scrap business and as has been said above the price of scrap is very high at the moment. He will probably weigh it in but I don’t know which parts from a microwave.

Things like lead and copper are worth a fortune. I know a Plummer who makes a few thousand a year weighing in pipes, boilers, hot water cylinders etc that he offers to dispose of for clients.

You should be able to take the fridge to the local tip for free?

Permabanned
The one's you have to watch out for are the thieving ******! Many years ago I had an engine and transmission from a Vauxhall Victor stolen from the backyard by ******. God knows how they did it quickly and in silence, because that thing was a seriously heavy bit of metal.

Soldato
Things like lead and copper are worth a fortune. I know a Plummer who makes a few thousand a year weighing in pipes, boilers, hot water cylinders etc that he offers to dispose of for clients.

That's true, when we got a combi-boiler fitted the plumber said he wants to take the old one as he could make £20-30 out of it.

Caporegime
I heard of a person who needed to get rid of a fridge, but the council wouldn't take it without charging him and he couldn't drive it anywhere. He left it at the front of his house but no-one took it.

One day, he stuck a bit of paper on the front saying "Fridge for sale - £20 - please knock". The next day it was gone.

Associate
I have a mate who gets scrap on a weekend... Washers and cookers are scrap value just because of their metal weight only.

The microwave itself is useless but contain a couple of coils worth £4 each I think. I am not sure if they are just copper wound or they are later refurbished.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom