Just hit the motherload

Soldato
Im so glad we have our council house. 3 bed semi, big-ish garden, drive = £70 a week. South Wales :D

Well done on the Council Bonus Bagging. If you cant beat em join em :D

fair play.

they are taking enough off us in tax etc good on the people who can get some back. i wouldnt think twice about taking it

Soldato
I worked for the council and i can tell you now there if you want something to whinge about, consider what immigrants get in their houses.

I would fit a bathroom suite, plumb a new kitchen, the house would get new wiring, new carpets, plastered, and come with cooker, washing machine, dryer, television, and basic sky tv.

Now thats a freaking joke

edit : oh and furnishings, 2 sofas, all the beds needed, tables, chairs etc.

Soldato
Fair play mate, most people will probabally be jealous of you being able to get a house through the council. I know i am. I work for a living, my girlfriend is training to be a nurse. We cant afford to live together, however those who are down and out, on the dole, have 5 kids seem to get the nice big houses, sky tv, even afford BMW's?

Its a backward country we are living in. There is a fella in a council estate who rejected their offer of compensation, even when they offered him 30k to move out of his house. In the end they just demolished all houses around them and built nice new houses where the families were given one of these plus the compensation. Wonder if he is kicking himself?

Soldato
I love how when people see the word "Council" they automatically think "Bum druggie alcoholic stealing my taxes to pay for his cider"

Well done though, hope you enjoy your new house when you eventually get into it ;D

Caporegime
When i started driving a few months ago prices only just hit £1 a litre, now it's £1.20 a litre for me. Although its not 100% the governments fault we do pay the highest fuel duty in the EU and i think that the fuel duty should be decreased and hit cars with low mpg figures with higher tax and price 4x4's out of the city as they have no place in London etc. this at least gives the person the choice of getting a small car or saving money or buying a big car and spending out, the taxes have nothing to do with saving the environment, more to make up the massive inefficiencies that lay within the labour government.

Yes, I agree.

Caporegime
WHy? it's rented accommodation, it's not his. He would get no such things in the private sector.

Yes, he would. It happens all the time. In Australia it's called compulsory acquisition, and private sector companies pay substantial compensation to anyone who is forced to relocate as a result of losing their home to a development site.

Usually the compensation is built into the price paid for their home, but it can be added on as a separate payment.

So don't sit there and say that "he would get no such things in the private sector", because that's complete ********.

Man of Honour
Yes, he would. It happens all the time. In Australia it's called compulsory acquisition, and private sector companies pay substantial compensation to anyone who is forced to relocate as a result of losing their home to a development site.

Usually the compensation is built into the price paid for their home, but it can be added on as a separate payment.

So don't sit there and say that "he would get no such things in the private sector", because that's complete ********.

he wouldn't get anything in the private sector. he would get 4 weeks notice, it's rented he is not a home owner.
Why would a landlord pay compensation when they don't have to.#

but doesn't he mean private 'renting' sector though, I could be wrong.
I certainly do.

If your a home own it's totally different.

Soldato
he wouldn't get anything in the private sector. he would get 4 weeks notice, it's rented he is not a home owner.
Why would a landlord pay compensation when they don't have to.#

I certainly do.

If your a home own it's totally different.

wouldnt it depend on the tenancy agreement?

if you leased a place for 10 years but after 2 years they decided they wanted to sell up wouldnt they have to compensate you?

depending of course if it didnt stipulate for such an eventuality

Man of Honour
I live in a grotty council flat, I've always thought it was awful, well it's so awful I just had visit from the council telling me they are demolishing the flats.

Bad news? Is it hell

The demolition is happening in 3 phases. I am in phase 2, Basically, By phase 2, New houses will have been built in the place of houses destroying in phase 1.

I am going to be moved into one of these new homes, they aren't tacky. they are supposed to be really well designed economic homes, They aren't council houses. They are built by the housing association.

They will cost more in rent than my current place, But I will save on the economic efficiency the homes provide, apparently the heating on the place can be run for £20 a month, they will have fitted solar panels + general Gas heating.( I currently pay £15 a week)

On top of that, The council will be giving me a £100 base line decorating budget, and then £50 for a living room, and £35 per every other room in the home. They will pay for removal of all my furniture from my current location to the new place. If I need a phone line installing, Sky TV installing (Which I do) If I keep the receipts they will refund me.

Now all that sounds great yes?

Well get this I'm also receiving £5000 compensation for "making" me move home.

I nearly wet my pants!

Phase 2 doesn't happen until 2009 like, Phase 1 has already begun.

A single guy like me, moving into a home like that, more or less free of charge and receiving a quarter of a years wage in 1 lump sum

Jackpot I say.

Brilliant but you have just given up you "Right to Buy" and 45% discount, jackpot? I think not.

Soldato
OP
Maximum discount given on a council property when exercising your right to buy.

Edit : this is normally based on time in the property if I am not mistaken.

So I would not have the option to buy the property I am now moving into?

They mentioned a shared ownership option, Where I can part buy the property and rent the difference.

So i would have thought the option to buy 100% would have been there

Man of Honour
So I would not have the option to buy the property I am now moving into?

They mentioned a shared ownership option, Where I can part buy the property and rent the difference.

So i would have thought the option to buy 100% would have been there

Spot on you cant buy from housing associations but council right to buy gives you a discount ranging from 16-36k. Basically they have just mugged you for 10-25k

source http://www.godirect.co.uk/mortgages/council-right-to-buy-mortgage.php

"Are you eligible for the Right to Buy scheme?
The right to buy scheme enables local authority secure tenants with a minimum of two years tenancy to buy their current home at a discount price. It is targeted at long standing public tenants, with the right to buy discount increasing in proportion to the years that rent has been paid.

If you are eligible you can buy your home by paying the full discounted purchase price at once with a maximum discount ranging from £16,000 to £38,000 for both flats and houses, depending on your local authority"

My sister recently bought a council property for 72k which is now valued at 160-180k... That my friend is the jackpot.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maximum discount given on a council property when exercising your right to buy.

Edit : this is normally based on time in the property if I am not mistaken.

ahh right

must be what someone i know was talking about as the council wont give them any discount

Caporegime
Why would a landlord pay compensation when they don't have to.

Wrong.

Firstly, it wouldn't be the landlord paying compensation; it would be the purchaser of the land (in this case a private developer).

Secondly, the compensation legislation does not simply cover owners; it also covers occupiers:

What are compulsory purchase and statutory rights?

This is when the government, local council or utility company has the legal right to buy or take rights over your private property if it falls within a public or private construction project such as:

* Airport expansions
* Housing developments
* Electricity pylons and cables
* Flood defence work
* Sewer, water or gas pipe schemes
* Rail or road building projects

Different compulsory purchase or statutory powers are needed to implement the above schemes. For example, water pipes are laid under statutory rights under the Water Industry Act 1991 and a road bypass will have its own compulsory purchase order through the Acquisition of Land Act 1981.

In all cases, the owners and occupiers of the properties to be acquired or affected by the scheme will be served Notices, with differing expiry times. All the schemes provide compensation to owners and occupiers directly affected by the scheme.

If your property is earmarked for acquisition under compulsory action then you can ask for the property to be purchased it in advance of the compulsory purchase order. If you are considering advance purchase, assistance may be offered to help you with the sale and a relocation support package may be available in certain cases to help you find an alternative home.

You may also attract additional compensation payments which may vary according to your status e.g. home owner, tenant, lessee, etc.

Source.

"ALL the schemes provide compensation to owners AND occupiers directly affected by the scheme".

QED.

Back
Top Bottom