Just hit the motherload

Soldato
I live in a grotty council flat, I've always thought it was awful, well it's so awful I just had visit from the council telling me they are demolishing the flats.

Bad news? Is it hell

The demolition is happening in 3 phases. I am in phase 2, Basically, By phase 2, New houses will have been built in the place of houses destroying in phase 1.

I am going to be moved into one of these new homes, they aren't tacky. they are supposed to be really well designed economic homes, They aren't council houses. They are built by the housing association.

They will cost more in rent than my current place, But I will save on the economic efficiency the homes provide, apparently the heating on the place can be run for £20 a month, they will have fitted solar panels + general Gas heating.( I currently pay £15 a week)

On top of that, The council will be giving me a £100 base line decorating budget, and then £50 for a living room, and £35 per every other room in the home. They will pay for removal of all my furniture from my current location to the new place. If I need a phone line installing, Sky TV installing (Which I do) If I keep the receipts they will refund me.

Now all that sounds great yes?

Well get this I'm also receiving £5000 compensation for "making" me move home.

I nearly wet my pants!

Phase 2 doesn't happen until 2009 like, Phase 1 has already begun.

A single guy like me, moving into a home like that, more or less free of charge and receiving a quarter of a years wage in 1 lump sum

Jackpot I say.

Soldato
OP
Why don't you get a decent job and pay your way, rather than sponging of society?

lmao, I'm up at 5am every morning for work, don't get in until 6pm on a night and i work my ass off as a computer technician within education. So you can go to hell with comments like that one.

I probably work a damn sight harder than you Mr jump to conclusions because I'm a nasty forumite

Soldato
OP
That sounds really good, hope it turns out well for you. Do you have an idea of what the new houses will look like and stuff?

Not heard any of those details, Just features rather than actually physical descriptions.

Apparently because the land has been sold to Housing association so cheap, the homes will be larger for the rent than what you would find in the private sector.( I think that makes sense lol )

Also, They will be built with the environment and energy efficiency in mind, with a solar panel/gas boiler, to cut down heating costs.

Soldato
OP
okay, Just for the people that think I need to move out of a council place into a mortgaged home.

It was a plan a few months ago, and I split with my girlfriend, So Obviously the income coming into the home halved.

I do plan on buying my own place, But surely it's better to save a nest egg, rather than just jump into a new home.

I'm currently saving to buy a new home, And to be honest, This £5000, the first thing I thought about was putting it into the savings, and looking at buying somewhere.

I may even look into buying the housing association home I move into if it's nice enough

Soldato
OP
I just fail to understand why council houses are not given to people who are truly unable to WORK or otherwise earn a living.

The fact you are in employment means you are more than capable of renting a place, somewhere. You should not be in council accommodation. At the most, rent student accommodation.

I do rent a place somewhere :confused:

I'm not living here for free

Soldato
OP
DOn't think people are having a go at you, more te seemingly pointless throwing of money by the council. like why should they pay for sky installation etc?

Atleast I started an interesting debate of sorts :D

As for the sky thingy, reason they pay for the installation is because I've paid for it once here. and if it wasn't for the council demolishing these properties, I wouldn't have to pay for it again. But because they are making me move, Then I would have to pay for something for a second time, when it's not my fault.:)

Soldato
OP
OP,

How much do you pay in rent, out of interest?

£240ish a month and £90 Council Tax. :)

And i'm over paying on rent to be honest, because the place is a mess. I've spent so much time trying to fix the place up, and I always feel let down by what I've done.

They say you can't polish a turd, Well consider this turd polished! And soon to be demolished.. Poet and know it

Soldato
OP
woo hooo, 9 pages. Awesome

I noticed a comment back in the thread about me not paying as much tax as some others. Just confused me, As I'm paying as much tax as I've been asked for. Council Tax, NI and PAYE. I don't get let off with any tax. So When you say "I'm getting a payout because of what you put in". Surely I'm getting a payout because of what I put in also. I've paid tax all my working life, Am I not entitled to a lump back when the council do something that warrants it? Yeah it's a given that me being moved out of my home isn't upsetting. Would people in this thread show a different side if I was distraught?

Everyone in the estate are getting the payout, the same payout. Since when does someones feelings equate to how much money they receive? Or whether they receive anything at all? They get what they are deemed to be entitled to, And I am.

So woo :p

Soldato
OP
Maximum discount given on a council property when exercising your right to buy.

Edit : this is normally based on time in the property if I am not mistaken.

So I would not have the option to buy the property I am now moving into?

They mentioned a shared ownership option, Where I can part buy the property and rent the difference.

So i would have thought the option to buy 100% would have been there

Soldato
OP
just out of interest and apologies if its already in the thread and I didnt spot it but....where are you going to live while this is happening the new house isnt just going to appear!!

Theres gonna be time between your flat beinng demolished and the new house being ready.

It's happening in 3 phases. I'm phase 2, During phase 1, Which is a year, Houses will be demolished and new homes built on them.

Then in phase 2, My lot will be demolished and I'll move into a Phase 1 new Build :)

-

Just noticed the edit, Not all phase 1 people will want to move into Housing association due to increased rent. They will be moving into current Council houses else where, Or some will also move into temporary accommodation while their Housing association place is ready

Back
Top Bottom