*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Associate
Personally from what i have seen i prefer my current 2.4Ghz MBP, I'm not sure i like the new keyboard, nor the slight decrease in screen size and the difference is processor speed is minimal.

I'm going to wait for the next rev i think.

Associate
...however as we have seen with other technologies like lcd etc the process will get cheaper by wwdc and the old macbook will probably be dropped and the new ones will start to get cheaper.

This is true, I think I am going to hang on and wait for the prices to drop. I think this could be as soon as the event Apple have in Jan/Feb time. They will definately drop the baseline white MB and reduce the price of the lower spec new one. Going to have to get a new hard drive for my current MacBook if you can believe it I still only have 60GB :p

Associate
OK i think i am going to take the plunge for a macbook pro now will they take payment straight away or like after a week seeing as delivery is 7 working days i just want to know when funds will go seeing as i dont get paid for another few weeks so i think i just got enough to hold off lol

Permabanned
Personally from what i have seen i prefer my current 2.4Ghz MBP, I'm not sure i like the new keyboard, nor the slight decrease in screen size and the difference is processor speed is minimal.

I'm going to wait for the next rev i think.

the next rev will probably house a board that excepts 8gbytes if you can afford it a 320gb in the top line and a slight cpu bump + snow leopard.

Soldato
OK i think i am going to take the plunge for a macbook pro now will they take payment straight away or like after a week seeing as delivery is 7 working days i just want to know when funds will go seeing as i dont get paid for another few weeks so i think i just got enough to hold off lol
Do you consider it particularly wise to drop £1400+ on a luxury item when it's not something you can even afford for a few weeks?

Soldato

They take it immediately, even if it has a shipping time of 7 days which is a bit cheeky.

Associate
Hi guys,

Just wondering what the performance difference is between the old gen 256mb 8600gt and the new gen 9400 and 256mb 9600??

The reason I ask is because im weighing up whether I should get the new macbook or the macbook pro??

I mainly use my current macbook pro for office work, watching films, surfing the net and playing the odd game or two, usually consisting of Dawn of War or Total War.

Soldato
The plastic one, saw the new facelift ones and didn't really like the look of them in person.

They look nice in photos but in my opinion in person they're not as nice as the white.

Although, my opinion may slowly change as it did with the new iMacs.

Associate
Interesting stuff. Not going to tempt me though... I bought a MBP back in April in the US with the top spec, 2.6, 200g 7200, 17" screen with the "hi-res" option in matte, about $3000 iirc.

As for this update:
Wheres the blu-ray drive?
Wheres the quad core?
Dropping firewire, why?
No DVI port.... joy, more adaptors.

If it had blu-ray and quad core this update would have been mega.

I still lub my MBP tho, its not going anywhere ;)

Permabanned
OP
Right I've made up my mind!

Gonna go for the older White MacBook because...

- Looks nicer, IMO, no Apple logo on the new ones so it seems
- Faster processor for cheaper
- Old ones GPU will do me for the very, very small amount of gaming I'll do (I will likely only log on World of Warcraft to check auctions now and then, PC is for gaming)
- Firewire on the older ones

But...I don't want a 120! Will I be able to have the HDD bumped up to 160 in store? I'm gonna be going to the store in Florida Mall but I have a feeling I'll end up going for 120. :(

Gonna bump the ram up too, but will do that when I'm back in the UK as Apple charge criminal amounts for the ram.

Edit: First Mac btw. ;) (used them before though, albeit an ancient 2002 eMac)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom