*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Soldato
I do not intend to game on it so nvidia makes not a difference to me
I like white!
This one one is now only £80 dearer than the 'new' base model so have got a faster processor and another 1gb of ram for my 80 quid.

Personally i think i made the right choice, any opinions?

Lee

I think the GPU will help a lot when snow leopard is out, they will be using the GPU for more than GFX.

This is making me think the low cpu specs arn't too much of an issue....

Associate
What have apple done to the MBP, it looked like a professional laptop and now it looks like another average laptop like something HP would sell.

And getting rid of the DVI port was a good idea to minimize wire clutter, but for those of us with displays with out the display port we will have to fork out up 60 pounds if we want to run a 30" screen.

MBP is out the equation for me now, I may sell my white MB and put the extra money in for a new MB using HE discount as the new MB can support 30" displays and has improved graphics. I wish they did not increase the price so much though :(.

Last edited:

tbs

tbs

Associate
If all you are worried about is specs, then a Mac is not for you :)

if this was said a few years ago, that would not be the case!

everything about PCs WHERE and ARE about the specs, no matter how ugly the thing was, as long as the horse power inside was a beast thats all it mattered! :p

Soldato
Disappointed with the new releases I don't think Apple are on the ball at all with these basically lost a sale from me for a updated 17" MBP.......wait a minute they didn't actually update it !

I wonder what reason there is for not updating the 17" MBP seems a funny decision and the glossy only screen option rules the new smaller screened ones out straight away for me. No firewire on the MacBooks another crazy omission in this day and age when they advertise how good Macs are for editing videos etc yet you can no longer plug a video camera in via firewire on a MacBook which would be the portable choice to carry around with a video camera.

I was also hoping for a blu-ray drive I can't see how they can justify not having at least a blu-ray drive option. You can walk into PC World and pick up a blu-ray drived laptop for £525 which will happily play movies yet the flag ship Apple laptop doesn't even have the option. I know these cheaper laptops won't have the build quailty of a Apple laptop but my cheap Dell Inspiron 8600 is still going strong after 4 years hard daily use, dropped down stairs, dropped onto a patio and plenty of liquids spilt over it yet nothing has needed replaced and the battery will still last 3 hours + although it does look very sorry for itself.

Looks like its going to be a Sony Vaio to replace my current laptop, even the high end one is now cheaper than the top MacBook let alone the MBP.

tbs

tbs

Associate
Its the same discount instore and online...

when i got my MBP it wasnt.

online HE store showed it was £1471
in store with HE discount came to £1359

unless the girl serving me gave me a "special discount" if ya know what i mean ;) :p

Mat

Mat

Soldato
the glossy only screen option rules the new smaller screened ones out straight away for me.

Yep, me too. I hate the glossy screens but it looks as though thats the way theyre going.

I was also hoping for a blu-ray drive I can't see how they can justify not having at least a blu-ray drive option. You can walk into PC World and pick up a blu-ray drived laptop for £525 which will happily play movies yet the flag ship Apple laptop doesn't even have the option.

Jobs: "It’s great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we’re waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

Soldato
Well I have just hit buy on the bottom spec MacBook Pro update. :D

I was originally looking to upgrade my current white base model MacBook to the new MacBook but after seeing the prices I thought I may as well go bite the bullet and go for the Pro. Hopefully I will see £500 ish return with the sale of my immaculate trusty white MacBook (the current base model).

Im very excited but imagine i'm in for a 2 week wait or so.

As for delivery, this is the first time I have purchased directly from the Apple online store, after its been dispatched do they supply you with an accurate delivery date? No-one is at home during the day so will need to take a day off to sign for it!

Permabanned
Interesting stuff. Not going to tempt me though... I bought a MBP back in April in the US with the top spec, 2.6, 200g 7200, 17" screen with the "hi-res" option in matte, about $3000 iirc.

As for this update:
Wheres the blu-ray drive?
Wheres the quad core?
Dropping firewire, why?
No DVI port.... joy, more adaptors.

If it had blu-ray and quad core this update would have been mega.

I still lub my MBP tho, its not going anywhere ;)

bluray on a tiny screen = lol
quadcore's = very expensive, short supply
firewire = I never used mine, so dont care
dvi = never used mine, and I bet most laptop owners dont

If you had bluray and quadcore you would be complaing your perfect macbook costs 2,500 - 3,000 pounds

Soldato
Im just going to wait to see the hardware/software tests between the old MBP and the new. I cant see DDR3 giving that much of a boost.
Itd cost me £500 to go from what Ive got to a MBP 2.4ghz so depends on tests really!

Soldato
bluray on a tiny screen = lol
quadcore's = very expensive, short supply
firewire = I never used mine, so dont care
dvi = never used mine, and I bet most laptop owners dont

If you had bluray and quadcore you would be complaing your perfect macbook costs 2,500 - 3,000 pounds

I want a blu-ray drive, a small screen is not a issue as its closer to your eyes if you are watching a movie, I am typing on a 15" laptop right now and looking at the screen in my field of vision its actually bigger than a 60" screen sat across the room. The main reason I want a blu-ray drive though is so I can feed a screen via HDMI however when away with work a blu-ray laptop is very handy as all my new movies are now on blu-ray. If a £500 odd Dell can come with a blu-ray drive standard I can't see how "licensing of the tech is so complex" as Jobs has said.

Firewire is a unusal one to remove as its how 99% of video cameras are connected to a PC/Mac even more so how the Mac is advertised as a good video editing machine its also how a lot of sound desks are attached for editing music etc. A lot of Macbooks are used for this purpose due to the nature of the software Macs do.

Back
Top Bottom