*** The new MacBook/MacBook Pro thread, all info in here ***

Soldato
On macstosell it says my MBP is worth around £860....2.4 C2D

Thinking of going for the top end macbook.

Do you think its a good idea going from the pro to the macbook?

Im not fussed about the screen size all i want o be able to do is connect my 30" monitor which they all can do now even the air.

Do you think this is a good idea or not?...Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

Just like with the last iteration, the only only substantive difference between the MB/MBP is the graphics.

Now that there's so little between the machines physically, it just makes that point stand out more.

Soldato
Just like with the last iteration, the only only substantive difference between the MB/MBP is the graphics.

Now that there's so little between the machines physically, it just makes that point stand out more.

Gotta admit - the MacBook does look more tempting than it did. Two main problems with it for me tho :
1) I've got a pile of FireWire kit (iPod, various drives)
2) 1280 res screen is too small, 1440 is doable, 1680 would be better

Soldato
Macrumors forums said:
I used the “benchmarks” on Apple’s website and compared them with the benchmarks on barefeats for the X3100:

http://www.apple.com/macbook/graphics.html
http://barefeats.com/mbook.html

Quake 4 – 5x = 35 fps
Doom 3 - 4x = 28 fps
Unreal Tournament - 2.5x = 47.5-87.5

So this update will make these old games “playable”. Modern games will still run like poop (except SPORE which works on a GMA950 even)

I'm really in two minds now, might just go for the slowest Macbook.

Soldato
is the max ram still 4gb(hardware limited) then or just limited to whats available to buy atm?

Boo it is :(

Really want the top end macbook with 4gb ram but unsure if Ill regret not getting the bottom end macbook pro with 4gb ram.

CPU or screen size/GPU :/

Last edited:
Caporegime
How long ago did you order?

I got my email about 8 months after ordering. It 100% does cover you for 3 years. Had my battery replaced in a MBP for free in year 2.

Bought in early March (after last MBP upgrades). In May I received e-mail saying that 90 days phone support is up please buy applecare etc.

In the e-mail did you have to register an agreement like a normal AppleCare purchase or was your product already covered (i.e. on the website prior to the 8 months what did it say).

I bought mine online HE, not over the phone and not in store so have not spoken to an Apple rep at all during the process, dunno if that makes a difference. Been meaning to call on phone and clarify at some point. Not really a student though, don't want no trouble, although they can't prove I wasn't at the time of purchase I guess.

rp2000

Soldato
On macstosell it says my MBP is worth around £860....2.4 C2D

Thinking of going for the top end macbook.

Do you think its a good idea going from the pro to the macbook?

Im not fussed about the screen size all i want o be able to do is connect my 30" monitor which they all can do now even the air.

Do you think this is a good idea or not?...Anyone else thinking of doing the same?

Yup, I'm thinking of doing this too! That macbook looks sexeh!!

Soldato
I shall (pending the ability for the display working with the MP) be purchasing the new display....It'll be like having my iMac back, but with MP machine by my side haha.

Also I'm as already mentioned considering the MBA, although the MB seems the better choice?

Anway its late, and my head is spinning....*yawn*

Night Night!.

Soldato
The £719 macbook looks identical to the £699 macbook - why is it £20 more?

Also, I was expecting the new macbook to come out at £699 - but no, its nearly a grand...do you think its worth a go at £850? I get 10% discount from work.

Permabanned
I almost felt the same way, then I saw how they forgot to give the 17" some love :(

I have a feeling apple want to give the 17" some quad core, High end gfx power and will have to wait until macworld for that, other wise MWSF will be all talk and no trousers

some of you guys are pretty upset by the prices and so was I, its obvious these new macbooks were made with new technology and processes that cost more, however as we have seen with other technologies like lcd etc the process will get cheaper by wwdc and the old macbook will probably be dropped and the new ones will start to get cheaper.

But for now Im afraid its the price you have to pay for a "Sexy Beast" of a notebook

Last edited:
Associate
Apple are insane....

The new basic Macbook is us$333 more in the UK than it is in the US!! You arent telling me that it costs them us$300 to ship in bulk to the UK....

I will be sticking with my trusty old CD Macbook - its battered but is still ideal for what I want. If the new ones had come in at £800 I may have been tempted, but not almost a grand, when you see what else you can get for that price.

Back
Top Bottom