US ELECTION RESULTS THREAD...

Soldato
If only we had an Obama to vote for to replace Brown, all we've got is David Cameron, great :(

Obama isn't going to be able to "fix the economy" for example, it's going to be a long slog, I think Oboma has indicated as much.

Problem with the UK people is we love to hate and defeat ourselves before we start.

In the US you had no holds barred support for people that support him to the extent they build up someone like Obama and put him on a pedestal, to the point of ignoring all real or imagined faults.

In the UK you will have every single news paper and media outlet ripping apart all of our candidates/parties so that we hate all of them. We love to expect and predict disappointment and we don't disappoint ourselves.

Caporegime
All I can say is, thank goodness Obama won - and won convincingly. McCain hasn't just been defeated; he's been utterly crushed.

Can anyone remember when a presidential candidate was so overwhelmingly destroyed in the polls? I'd be interested to know.

Soldato
Can anyone remember when a presidential candidate was so overwhelmingly destroyed in the polls? I'd be interested to know.

Clinton destroy Dole for his second term.

Clinton was re-elected, receiving 49.2% of the popular vote over Republican Bob Dole (40.7% of the popular vote)

Clinton received 379, or over 70% of the Electoral College votes, with Dole receiving 159 electoral votes.

I think it was pretty well predicited by the polls.

Caporegime
Can you imagine the obstacles he faced and conquered to get to the White House. From as a kid without a father, mother dying of Cancer and then got his way to one of America's most respect University, Columbia, and then Harvard, then made Law Review - Editor and then President of Law Review.

Then 21 months ago, in some room in Illonis, him and his friends and staff or someone must have said, lets go for the White House, lets put this skinny black guy with a funny name in the White House. Those people must have saw who he is and believe in him so much that they know it was worth trying, and they were right. He faced HUGE, enormous obstacle, even from his own parties. With only 12 years in office (10 at the time), he wouldn't have as many connections, or funding as people like John Edwards, Hilary Clinton or even McCain. Step by Step he overcame those challenges and made it to the White House.

It's like watching the West Wing in real life.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Some anti black extremist will shoot him anyway, can totally see it happening.

its aproblem he will have to confront..but in the current security focused climate and terror laws, the secret service along with the dept of homeland security probably take any form of threats very seriously these days

Caporegime
Amazing. One of the most racist countries in the world has finally elected a black man. Brilliant result.

Now hopefully we can clear some of the airwaves. I wonder if the British elections get so much TV coverage in the US..

Soldato
Maybe a stupid question, but Im sure someone will clear this up for me.

How come, during this election we didnt hear anything from George Bush? was he not allowed to be voted for to 'STAY' president? or after his term finished, did he just decide to roll over and take it?

I do think Obama will be better for US though. I was just wondering why we had not heard anything from G.Bush?

Soldato
Maybe a stupid question, but Im sure someone will clear this up for me.

How come, during this election we didnt hear anything from George Bush? was he not allowed to be voted for to 'STAY' president? or after his term finished, did he just decide to roll over and take it?

I do think Obama will be better for US though, was just wondering why we had not heard anything from Bush?

US presidents are only allowed 2 4 year terms.

Soldato
Some anti black extremist will shoot him anyway, can totally see it happening.

I wouldn't say that quite so lightly if I were you, were it to happen the implications to the domestic US would be simply massive.

I have to say I am pleased to see Obama going to the White House, America needs to be repositioned on the global stage and this will do it, worldwide polls say not only that people globally prefer him 4:1 but that with Obama at the helm their view of America as a super power will change. Will he be able to sort out the domestic issues of the States in a single term? Nope, not a chance and by the end of term one; the rich will be a little poorer and the poor a little richer but there won't be universal healthcare in the US, change will be slow to come, I cross my fingers that he'll carry this popularity in to a second term where the real work will start but the early indications are that he'll be facing Palin and her gun toting hockey mums and that might be an issue.

Good luck Obama you have a hard road to travel but you are what America needs.

MB

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think there is a very real danger that he will be assassinated

There is a danger of every president of being attempt assassinated, but I think the real point of the election is that America has changed, the people of America has changed, their views have changed, the old evangelical support is waving and that this victory gives them hope and god forbid if an attempt on his life is sucessful, his victory will go down in history as an monumental one. And if I may be so hastely to say, one that is as important and profound as Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Wilson.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I wouldn't say that quite so lightly if I were you, were it to happen the implications to the domestic US would be simply massive.

I have to say I am pleased to see Obama going to the White House, America needs to be repositioned on the global stage and this will do it, worldwide polls say not only that people globally prefer him 4:1 but that with Obama at the helm their view of America as a super power will change. Will he be able to sort out the domestic issues of the States in a single term? Nope, not a chance and by the end of term one; the rich will be a little poorer and the poor a little richer but there won't be universal healthcare in the US, change will be slow to come, I cross my fingers that he'll carry this popularity in to a second term where the real work will start but the early indications are that he'll be facing Palin and her gun toting hockey mums and that might be an issue.

Good luck Obama you have a hard road to travel but you are what America needs.

MB

its an excellent point apbout other peoples perceptions and the way the world views the US..Europe seems broadly positive about Obama and it should improve things in other parts of the world as well, it certainly sets an example

Back
Top Bottom