Define Posh

Soldato
Family tree dating back centuries
A title
A sailing yacht, powerboaters are never 'posh'
Big house with stables, a barn, paddocks etc

EDIT> Funny story. I was walking along a beach in Scotland with a friend from London and a friend who was visiting me from North Carolina. London girl was saying how she was by far the most 'posh' of all her schoolfriends and my American friend was like 'hmm, what do you mean? The only time I've heard that word used they were talking about a kind of w***ing'!!

I also agree that the use of the word 'posh' itself implies that you're beneath it, otherwise you just wouldn't comment.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The usual giveaways are ownership of ponies/ horses or yachts.
You do get a lot of wannabe posh people though (although I have no idea why you would actively choose to appear to appear posher than you are). Usually seen wearing Ugg boots and pashminas with dyed-blonde hair (and that's just the blokes ;) )
I don't think "posh" and "snobby" are mutually inclusive either- I generally find that its usually middle-aged/pension-aged women who think they're Hyacinth Bucket who are the worst offenders for looking down their noses at you for making the obvious cultural faux-pas of being under 35, male and not having an English accent when shopping in Waitrose/ M&S.
So as a general rule, posh people are OK as long as they aren't snobs :)

Back
Top Bottom