Define Posh

Soldato
Well in a round about way, what we're saying is that it is dependent on the teaching establishment right? :p.

It's not about the education, it's about the people you are brought up around. I went to about as common a school as you can get, but my family always spoke properly which meant I sounded "posh" to some of the kids at my school.

Man of Honour
I guess. I don't really know what "posh" is though... I understand that some people are more well off than others etc... but as far as speaking well I don't understand what posh is. As far as I'm concerned it's just regional accents no?

Soldato
I guess. I don't really know what "posh" is though... I understand that some people are more well off than others etc... but as far as speaking well I don't understand what posh is. As far as I'm concerned it's just regional accents no?
I think the word posh is not used to classify someone else, but it is to classify the user of the word.

If you call someone "posh", you're not classifying the subject, but instead confirming that you think they are 'above' you (thus you are below them).

Likewise when calling something posh (a house, an object), you're not classifying the object because you can't make a globally applicable statement out of it (because some people call a dinner table posh, but heck I don't think that) but instead confirming you think the object is 'above' you and used by people 'above' you.

Soldato

I think it's all relative anyway. Where I grew up, having two cars and being able to afford a pc in the early 90s was enough to be "posh". As far as speech is concerned though, I've always thought of it as a lack of regional accent.

Permabanned
Okay hopefully a bit of fun, how do you define someone as "posh". What traits qualify you as one? Also what are the "posh" areas of the country?

Here's my list:
* Must have a stupidly posh accent.
* Their parents must own a land rover
* They must have attended private school and refer to their old school friends as "chums"
* They watch Ruby rather than Football

Posh areas:
Cheltenham Spa
Clifton, Bristol
Wilmslow, Cheshire

Chesire is a county. If you have ever been to warrington you will know Cheshire is far from posh.

Man of Honour
I think the word posh is not used to classify someone else, but it is to classify the user of the word.

If you call someone "posh", you're not classifying the subject, but instead confirming that you think they are 'above' you (thus you are below them).

Likewise when calling something posh (a house, an object), you're not classifying the object because you can't make a globally applicable statement out of it (because some people call a dinner table posh, but heck I don't think that) but instead confirming you think the object is 'above' you and used by people 'above' you.

Yes, I think I've used the word "posh" to try and show up a certain thing. Heck, they use the expression "posh nosh" for good food. I don't really see myself as above/below people purely because I speak well though. I don't really use the word posh to qualify myself or others. I'd call them more affluent or less affluent than me I guess. I don't really like classifying people I find it a bit crass and unnecessary.

I think society at times does forces people to divide on the way they see one another.

Man of Honour
I speak with a well educated accent.
My parents do not own a range rover, though they did.
I hate football, and love rugby.
I went to public school.

Does that make me posh? Hardly, we're not that affluent, though we do spend a lot of time abroad (owing to multi cultural background more than anything, and property), though my family history does have more grand heritage on the English side of the family, whereas my French side of the family, rather ironically were more peasant-folk really, or certainly agricultural.

I speak well because I'm well educated.
I prefer rugby because I find it more fun than football and never played football at school.
I went to public school because when we moved to the UK my parents wanted to give me the best chance they could although they couldn't really afford to pay for it.
They got rid of the range rover in Paris because there was no point in bringing it over to England.

I have quaffed a mulled lager or two in your presence FF. :cool: ;)

As for etiquette and social graces, you may find this infomercial interesting for tipos on when you have your next dinner party.

Link.

Last edited:
Soldato
I find that the word 'posh' is more often than not, used by 'ordinary' people to describe others who have money and or breeding; you don't generally find it being used by the ones so described.

The word can also be used in a somewhat derogatory way to describe someone who is 'stuck up'.

As pointed out earlier, the Port Out, Starboard Home thing is a total myth, though, a credible one.

Caporegime
Posh is an aspirational status that most women of unsound mind would strive to get to, whether thats buyin a knock down price branded top in the sale, or drinking above average cost wine or spirits in the bar.

they want to appear superior to the rest so they can be "Posh"

Oh and the real posh? twiglett of a woman attached to beckhams career like she was a conjoined twin.

Soldato
I hate it when people define posh as a bad thing, and confues it with snobbery.

The only attribute that I possess on your list is the "posh accent", but it isn't even that, I just pronounce my words correctly. However a lot of my friends class me as posh :confused:

I myself would class posh as having expensive tastes and lifestyles. Fine wine, expensive cars, months away on private yachts, and such. But not in the case that this is just used to be flashy, for example I wouldn't call most wealthy footballers posh.

Back
Top Bottom