OcUK DDoS attack - £10,000 reward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
10k is quite an amount and I am sure someone will turn him. How many registered members are there of OCUK? I imagine it's a fair amount so the chances of catching him are pretty high as proabably a large % of these members are more then computer literate.

Last edited:
Soldato
How do people actually DDoS with botnets? for example i know you can DDoS a crap connection by having multiple people sending a certain easy command typed in the cmd window, but is it pretty much the same commands that are sent but on a mass scale?

That's probably not put very well but hopefully someone will know what i mean, i remember back when 512k broadband was quite new and angry gamers used to DDoS each others game servers when they lost a game....not that i ever par took in any of those shenanigans, was on the recieving end far too many times though :<

I don't really understand it and im not looking for a complicated long answer, just a yes/no with a small explanation :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How do people actually DDoS with botnets? for example i know you can DDoS a crap connection by having multiple people sending a certain easy command typed in the cmd window, but is it pretty much the same commands that are sent but on a mass scale?

That's probably not put very well but hopefully someone will know what i mean, i remember back when 512k broadband was quite new and angry gamers used to DDoS each others game servers when they lost a game....not that i ever par took in any of those shenanigans, was on the recieving end far too many times though :<

I don't really understand it and im not looking for a complicated long answer, just a yes/no with a small explanation :p

yes, it's basically just that. Loads of computers sending the same attack traffic at the same time. The actual attack is much the same as any simple denial of service, but from multiple sources it's much harder to block

Soldato

There are multiple ways, but many off them involve sending some network data to the target host.

The infected (zombie) computer has a virus on it, so you can then tell the virus to icmp ping a server (syn flood) ... alternatively you can have a more complex program that connects on port 80 and does some action that causes a lot of CPU use on server.

The other method is to not use zombie computers, but rather servers elsewhere, many of which will have large upload connections at the datacenter ... this allows you to flood a lot of data from relatively few servers.

There are plenty of other methods that may exploit bugs and so on, but this is the short easy to understand version.

Soldato

That's probably not put very well but hopefully someone will know what i mean, i remember back when 512k broadband was quite new and angry gamers used to DDoS each others game servers when they lost a game....not that i ever par took in any of those shenanigans

Botnet are a bunch of random peoples PC's which are infected with some type of trojan or other. The trojan would usually contain some sort of functionality to report back to the attacker their IP address so he knows where to send the commands to. Back in the day you used to find IRC channels filled with these bots just sitting there, waiting to be told what to do. I severely doubt thats the method of doing it these days....unless you're retarded. :) Maybe now they e-mail their addresses to a specific e-mail address that the attacker has specified/hijacked. I dunno, various ways you could implement it.

When the attacker has a "target", he just batches up the IP's of the infected botnet, and sends the lot a command to say go to a specific web page and reload it every second until a set time is up, or whatever criteria takes his fancy. Wouldn't send his command from his own home connection, most likely would hijack someone's wifi, or whatever and then send a command to a separate smaller botnet to send the command to the full botnet to start the attack, the idea being to keep himself several steps removed from the attacking machines themselves.

Which is why I imagine its a good idea to offer a reward, as its near impossible to track him down by trying to follow IP addresses.

If someone dobs him in, then job done. Maybe you'll get the addresses of the infected PC's too of his PC and the relevant authorities can get that sorted out at the same time.

Soldato
Have just noticed this thread, and now I see why the shop website has gone pear shape recently. Thanks for clearing that up.

The moment I did notice this thread, my first thoughts was thinking its an ex employee, trying to get back at you. As most of the time its an inside job. IMO I would start looking in that area first, who has left under a cloud recenly and would have the skill set to pull off this kind of an attack.

I hope you get the person/people behind this attack :)

Man of Honour
Which is why I imagine its a good idea to offer a reward, as its near impossible to track him down by trying to follow IP addresses.

If someone dobs him in, then job done. Maybe you'll get the addresses of the infected PC's too of his PC and the relevant authorities can get that sorted out at the same time.

Without serious evidence, 'it was x' won't get you a warrant and he'll be busy deleting anything incriminating. There's a reason nobody ever gets prosecuted, OCUK isn't exactly the first place to offer a reward...

Soldato
Botnet are a bunch of random peoples PC's which are infected with some type of trojan or other. The trojan would usually contain some sort of functionality to report back to the attacker their IP address so he knows where to send the commands to. Back in the day you used to find IRC channels filled with these bots just sitting there, waiting to be told what to do. I severely doubt thats the method of doing it these days....unless you're retarded. :)
I do hang around in a few channels which due to their nature have some dodgy people in them, the few that do have botnets sometimes load their bots into a channel but it's quite rare that they'll do that. Quite scary really, I often see people offering to sell bots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom