Comments on console chipping or other piracy related talk.

Man of Honour
Lets make this very clear now. There is to be no talk about chipping consoles (whether to use pirated games or not) or ROMs or any piracy related talk.

Kreeeee has made it plainly obvious to people about these rules but they're being ignored. Therefore, I won't be warning people anymore, it'll be straight to a suspension.

If you have any questions about what is and is not allowed, email Kreeeee or any Don.

Man of Honour
For the record, devices which enable "homebrew" applications to be run and also allow piracy are considered piracy enabling devices, and universally their primary purpose for almost all purchasers of the device is to pirate games, so the "homebrew" excuse is not a valid one.

This also extends to talking about games before release date, without proof of legitimately playing them, as this sparks a large piracy debate every time as people try to find out how you got to play it early. It's so simple to take a picture of the disc and upload it, and it saves a lot of unnecessary hassle.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeh can we talk about the software a long as we don't mention the devices?

"Homebrew" software almost always needs piracy enabling hardware/software to run and can cause issues when people ask how to run it, but it would be a shame to cut out legitimate homebrew discussion. I'll have to let someone more important than me make that call.

Soldato
Tis a shame but I agree, as soon as someone mentions homebrew people start mentioning custom firmware/chipping, but seems a shame to cut it out completely.

Soldato
Tis a shame but I agree, as soon as someone mentions homebrew people start mentioning custom firmware/chipping, but seems a shame to cut it out completely.

The thing is that kind of talk can be found better and more factual elsewhere. OcUK forums carry the store name so it makes sense to just stop all homebrew related chat and not cause any problems.

Soldato
The thing is that kind of talk can be found better and more factual elsewhere. OcUK forums carry the store name so it makes sense to just stop all homebrew related chat and not cause any problems.

I agree, but banning homebrew speak seems exceesive. But as said it'll nearly always lead to modding speak so it's best just to leave it as a delicate subject.

I think the rules need to be defined a bit more clearly to avoid confusion.

Soldato
It's legal software though tbf, I can't see how it would affect OcUK's image. I don't think it would be too hard to keep on track with discussing just the program itself. Though I can understand how close it is to the illegal side.

Soldato
It's legal software though tbf, I can't see how it would affect OcUK's image. I don't think it would be too hard to keep on track with discussing just the program itself. Though I can understand how close it is to the illegal side.

All it takes is for one person to ask how they can run the homebrew app or a "email in trust". Then more people do the same. It's not like we talk about homebrew stuff here anyway.

Soldato
Just to clarify, does this mean we aren't able to talk about the technical side of how things are cracked etc? I recall a conversation between myself and Tefal where we were trying to assess why the PS3 hadn't been cracked but the 360 had and it was deleted, but i have seen (and taken part in) conversations in the past of a similar nature that haven't.

Now i completely understand if the rules have been tightened between these conversations as that's just the nature of a busy public forum. I'm also not complaining that our posts were deleted; your house, your rules. What i'm trying to assess is more where the line is drawn these days. Is that sort of talk just completely out of the question now or did me and Tefal accidentally stray too far into the 'dirty details'?

[EDIT] Bleh, forgot about the bit about emailing, will copy this into Kreeeees trust, nothing to see here! :p

Man of Honour
I've replied to your email in more depth but basically:

Discussion about technical aspects (such as inherent flaws in hardware) should fine as long as you don't cause other posters to ask about how to pirate, or stray too close to the impossible to define "dodgy ground". Basically it's viewed on a case by case basis due to the poor definitions and if you make a post about it don't get upset if it disappears as these things can escalate easily.

If technical posts start causing issues though they may need to be banned too unfortunately as it really is a pain in the backside to moderate piracy related posts.

To be honest the biggest issue are people bragging about getting games early, but the few bad eggs seem to spoil it in decent threads and some good discussions can get removed :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Just read your email Kreeeee and on reflection i agree with your viewpoint over my original one; it's just not possible to create concrete guidelines for these sorts of things. As i stated in my original post, i don't have a problem with people deleting my threads/posts if they tread too close to dodgy ground, just wouldn't be a fan of a sudden ban :p

Anyways, cheers for the feedback, it's clarified what i was confused about perfectly.

Soldato
I can't be the only one here who looks at some guys Gamercard and see's he's played 250 games in last year and wonder if he actually paid for or even hired those games?

It surprises me people can be so blatant about it... :(

Back
Top Bottom