Ways to make your boring office job fun #1. Blatent animal cruelty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
OP
I'm disappointed my Dune joke got lost in all this juvenile stuff, I thought it was quite clever an'all. :(

I read and appeciated it :)

I was trying to think of a similar 'retaliatory' joke involving the film 'starship troopers' where the ants were the badguys - but couldn't quite peice anything together :)

I bought it online. I bought them from work. I honestly can't remember where from. What would it prove if I did? It has a nice kind of mini-farmhouse in it, which is awesome. What's the point of this? If I was lying I could drag 50 links up in 30 seconds - therefore any answer proves nothing.

I am genuinely usually not that suspicious when it comes to 'stories' on the internet but the above just doesn't add up, how on earth can you not know where you purchased the ant farms from?, you must have had a purchase/delivery confirmation email from the online company?, also the company name should show up on your debit/credit card statement that you used to purchase the ant farms with.

Permabanned
OP
I am genuinely usually not that suspicious when it comes to 'stories' on the internet but the above just doesn't add up, how on earth can you not know where you purchased the ant farms from?, you must have had a purchase/delivery confirmation email from the online company?, also the company name should show up on your debit/credit card statement that you used to purchase the ant farms with.

What was the second TV program you watched in the month of November, 2009? How on earth can you not know? :\ That just doesn't add up, I don't believe you have a telly!! :)

Last time you spent £8 online did you really keep the receipt after arrival of the items?

Well I don't bother ..

Soldato
Sneaking a camera into work, who doesn't have a phone with a camera these days :p ?

Fake or true, awesome idea, shame about the lacks of piccies or vids. Enjoyed reading the op :p.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would be so chuffed he'd be prepared to be fired for the sake of sneaking a camera into work?

lol?

There is no way in a million years that you or anyone else could possibly convince me of ANY employer in this or any other country, that 100% categorically prevents you from taking any mobile phone or camera onto the premises, (and would fire you for doing so) yet allows you to make this much mess/chaos/distraction in the course of your 'work'.

Its a great idea, the real-life RTS got me chuckling, i'll admit that. But thats just it, its an idea.

Soldato
There is no way in a million years that you or anyone else could possibly convince me of ANY employer in this or any other country, that 100% categorically prevents you from taking any mobile phone or camera onto the premises, (and would fire you for doing so) yet allows you to make this much mess/chaos/distraction in the course of your 'work'.

Its a great idea, the real-life RTS got me chuckling, i'll admit that. But thats just it, its an idea.

I'm not allowed to take any camera's to work or take pictures, they don't go search people for phones with camera's of course, but I would be in trouble if I started taking pictures of our process at tnt and shared it with sandd, dhl, selectmail, ups, etc...

Permabanned
OP

Exactly as I've been saying from day #1.

Pictures don't matter. Credit card receipts don't matter. Videos don't matter. People will just say 'don't believe it' or 'fake'. 'Proof' is irrelevent.

!!

Thanks ..

(I am also allowed to bring doughnuts into work but not cameras. Can you image? The stickiness, Pure madness eh?)

Anyway all this 'did he, didn't he', after 5 pages, has bored me so I may not respond to any more - sorry dudes - take it or leave it basically!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not allowed to take any camera's to work or take pictures, they don't go search people for phones with camera's of course, but I would be in trouble if I started taking pictures of our process at tnt and shared it with sandd, dhl, selectmail, ups, etc...

Thats fair enough. Would your work allow you to build something like OP's post and keep it running for ~3 months - without a single killjoy senior manager or H&S rep objecting?

I know we haven't even got enough space for the staff we have, let alone any spare!

Permabanned
OP

Haha quite ironically I work for DHL!!!!

So answer the guys question - would your boss allow you to set up 3 about 6 inch big ants nests at the back of your desk will some tubing between them (obviously all the 'they go if it affects work at all' type comments etc)? Would it be up to your boss to choose? Or do TNT have a coroprate rule against this?

If he doesn't let it happen (ask him!), honestly, I'm genuinly surprised. He sounds like a killjoy, you should take him out on the beers more and get on his good side!

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
So answer the guys question - would your boss allow you to set up 3 about 6 inch big ants nests at the back of your desk will some tubing between them (obviously all the 'they go if it affects work at all' type comments etc)?

Err... No... :confused:

The "health and safty" aspect of it would clearly rule it out. Not to mention the added cost of bringing in an exterminator if/when they escape, and the lost labour of people refusing to work in an environment with ants running wild.

Why any sane manager in a professional environment would agree to such a request is beyond me.

Soldato
Pictures don't matter. Credit card receipts don't matter. Videos don't matter. People will just say 'don't believe it' or 'fake'. 'Proof' is irrelevent.

:confused:

Nothing that you said in the original post indicated that you made this up. It seems a little bit crazy for something to do at work, but then, for all we know you could work in a very lax environment, or have an exceptionally "cool" boss with no-one to answer to above him.

The things that made people question the validity of your story are your insistance that you can't take photographs at work (wtf... ant farms but no photos?), your past reputation as a bit of a fantasist, and (most importantly) your vehement defence against anyone that so much as asks for any kind of verification.

Forget about anyone "trying to pick on you" or whatever you're trying to imply - it's not unreasonable to want to see pictures of this. It sounds like a freaking awesome setup and I, like everybody else, want to see it! It's only from your response to this onwards that you start to look like you're making it all up. Worth bearing in mind next time you want to create some shens.

Soldato
Haha quite ironically I work for DHL!!!!

So answer the guys question - would your boss allow you to set up 3 about 6 inch big ants nests at the back of your desk will some tubing between them (obviously all the 'they go if it affects work at all' type comments etc)? Would it be up to your boss to choose? Or do TNT have a coroprate rule against this?

If he doesn't let it happen (ask him!), honestly, I'm genuinly surprised. He sounds like a killjoy, you should take him out on the beers more and get on his good side!

:)

Thats fair enough. Would your work allow you to build something like OP's post and keep it running for ~3 months - without a single killjoy senior manager or H&S rep objecting?

I know we haven't even got enough space for the staff we have, let alone any spare!

I don't think it would work since I don't have an office job, evening job with different shifts every time, one day I'm sorting post at the belt, the other day I'm with internal transport, another day I'm sorting packets, in a month I'll be doing collection shifts with a van from work, etc... If I would have my own office, they would probably think I'm insane if I put 3 ant colonies in it but, I'd prolly get away with it provided it was my and only my office :p.

Soldato
tempted to do this on our desks! would be so cool if we could get it going over more than one set of desks.
how big an area did you do this over?

Soldato
Got a scanner at work? Disconnect one antfarm for five minutes, scan it, post pic on here. Shouldn't be a problem as you post on here during work hours. No cameras involved.

Permabanned
OP
tempted to do this on our desks! would be so cool if we could get it going over more than one set of desks.
how big an area did you do this over?

Each farm is about 6 inches. The tubes are maybe a few foot. The ant farms are really thin! I mean amazingly thin! I think it's because otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the caverns ..

Last edited:
Soldato
This is, hands down, the best idea I've heard in a long time. I don't believe for a second that Britboy actually did it, but the concept itself is ****ing genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom