*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Associate
Being quite cynical about apple. Can you really call the 3GS, a 3rd gen iPhone? I get the feeling they planned it like this so to allow a lot of people to misconstrue the iphone 4 as a 4G phone.

Soldato
Being quite cynical about apple. Can you really call the 3GS, a 3rd gen iPhone? I get the feeling they planned it like this so to allow a lot of people to misconstrue the iphone 4 as a 4G phone.

I think the only people who would think that, wouldn't even know what 4G is anyway. The same way they won't know a new version of Bluetooth is coming, they just use the phone and expect it to work, they don't care about the tech.

Soldato

I think so :
50% Faster processor
Faster graphics
Faster HSDPA (7.2 vs 3.6)
Better battery life
Better Camera
Video Recording
Compass

It'll also run iOS4 with the multitasking bits whereas the 3G won't.

OK, so it carried on with the same old casing, but I quite happily consider that enough features for a new generation tag.

Associate

Yes, because.

1st gen iPhone = iPhone
2nd gen iPhone = iPhone 3G (To signify it was now 3G compatible)
3rd gen iPhone = iPhone 3GS (A speeded up version of the iPhone 3G)
4th gen iPhone = iPhone 4 (Lacks a G so as not to imply that it's 4G compatible)

Caporegime
:)

Like most smartphones when used as intended?

Really??...hmm i had the BB 9000 which probably had the worst battery life out of all the BB handsets i have used but i still used to get a good days use out of that before having to charge it....i now have the 9700 which is miles better than the 9000 regarding battery life and again i use it very hard ie calls/texts and emails all day long and still get almost 2 days use out of it.

Whereas the iphones of the past wouldnt even last a day or half a day unless you turned off certain functions ie push notifications then the best one turn off 3G....whats the point of having those functions if you have to turn them off to get any decent sort of battery life??.

Anyhow from what i have been hearing and reading it seems like the iiphone4 has a much better battery life now compared to the past iphones.

Soldato
Yes, really.

And regarding your other post about the BB being the better "communications device" think again. So far audio and call quality has been amazing, now I have never used a BB in this sense however if you look at the Engadget review then they say:

"We'd liken the iPhone 4 in quality to something along the lines of the BlackBerry Bold -- a bearable tone even when it gets hot."

And apparently the noise cancelling mic is nigh on brilliant.

So...why are you getting one again?

Soldato
i have both a blackberry 9700 and an iphone 4. On everything but emails, i'd pick the iphone.

My experience with bb battery life is that it will indeed last for a couple of days, but my take on that is it lasts so well because i don't use it for anything but calls/emails. The reason for that is because its woeful at the internet, games, multimedia compared to the iphone and those are seemingly the things that drain the iphone battery most. I have also found that I got bb-esque battery life out of my iphone when i've been abroad or outside of london!) and had no data and just been using it for calls/texts.

Associate
What is it about emails on a BB that everyone loves so much? I've never owned one, so generally interested.

I like emailing on the bb because its quick like writing a text.
but Iphone better browser, i cant login to anything I want to on the BB
also attachements ive never had a problem on the iphone.

Soldato
I like emailing on the bb because its quick like writing a text.
but Iphone better browser, i cant login to anything I want to on the BB
also attachements ive never had a problem on the iphone.

Ohh, so its just the physical keyboard people like about BB email?

Caporegime
Ohh, so its just the physical keyboard people like about BB email?

LOL no but its one of the reasons...i couldnt see myself typing out a long email/text using the iphone....having a physical keyboard just makes things easier to type out....i no longer use my laptop or my work pc to reply to emails...

But theres plenty of reasons why people like blackberries and one of them is their reliability and push email amongst other things.

Soldato
Hmm... I agree I couldn't see myself using the iPhone to type out long emails, but I can't see myself doing that with any phone to be honest.

I haven't owned an iPhone before now, but this supports Push emails and has been extremely reliable so far. Shame the same can't be said for Facebook Push notifications. :(

Associate
The Facebook app does have some poorly coded parts to it tbh :(

The keyboard on the iPhone is the best I have ever used, and I can type faster on it then I have done on any other phone.

Physical keys are ok, but QWERTY on a mobile is just too hard to type fast on due to how small the buttons are, and T9 is annoying as you have to press it more then once to get the letter you want :(

Soldato
LOL no but its one of the reasons...i couldnt see myself typing out a long email/text using the iphone....having a physical keyboard just makes things easier to type out....i no longer use my laptop or my work pc to reply to emails...

But theres plenty of reasons why people like blackberries and one of them is their reliability and push email amongst other things.

My girlfriends got a 9700 and I literally cannot see what the big fuss is about with regards to how the Blackberry handles emails. I understand people will prefer the physical keys of the BB to the iPhones, but the service is the same. As soon as I receive an email to my GMail, the exchange account on my iPhone has it pushed to it... And i've got the email instantly, exactly the same as on the 9700.

I understand that the 9700 uses a slightly better process at actually retrieving the email, but I can't understand how that makes it so much better than the iPhone at it. If anything, the iPhones pixel density and screen size actually makes viewing emails a much more pleasant experience compared to the BB's screen.

Caporegime
My girlfriends got a 9700 and I literally cannot see what the big fuss is about with regards to how the Blackberry handles emails. I understand people will prefer the physical keys of the BB to the iPhones, but the service is the same. As soon as I receive an email to my GMail, the exchange account on my iPhone has it pushed to it... And i've got the email instantly, exactly the same as on the 9700.

I understand that the 9700 uses a slightly better process at actually retrieving the email, but I can't understand how that makes it so much better than the iPhone at it. If anything, the iPhones pixel density and screen size actually makes viewing emails a much more pleasant experience compared to the BB's screen.

Maybe you cant but many people do...and the service isnt the same not in the slightest because the email system on the BB is always on ie its always connected to the BB server...thats why its so reliable as long as you have reception. I wont give an explanation of how the BB email system works because ive done it before and no one paid any attention to it. Also rememebr that the push email is integrated into the BB OS...so it doesnt affect the battery life of the device unlike the iphone does...wont slate the iphone4 as it seems like hte battery life on it has improved from what i have read so far....good job on apple for making it more efficient.

I agree that the iphone has a better screen for reading emails but then ive never ever had an issue with reading emails on any of my BB's...sure its not pretty but then most BB users arent interested in the fancy GUI of the iphone...its there in simple black and white on BB's....althought OS6 which is the new OS for BB's looks immense ie widgets and a better user GUI...plus a much reportedly faster web browser than the iphone and Android platforms.

Soldato
If they have an always on connection, what's the push part for? And if it is always on, that sounds like its going to be very bad for the battery, so I don't think it will be always connected. Got a link to your old post where you explained how it works or care to explain again?

If the BB just did Push email first, then I'm still not seeing whats so special about email on BB these days.

Back
Top Bottom