Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
The main point is why should women have to cover up? In what way does this relate to God or Allah?

Christians wear a cross because it symbolises the cross Jesus was killed on. There is a valid point to it.

Women covering there faces. How does it relate to God/History?

In a native Islamic country I don't care what happens, but a country which is Westernised with none Islamic backgrounds, then anybody living in that country should have respect for the nationionalist religion/lack of religion.

I dont believe in any religion. However I don't tell others that there is no god. IT my opinion, but wearing a ninja face cloth mask is ensuring everyone else knows about your beliefs.
Absolutely this. Sums up my thoughts exactly.

Soldato
Good enough reason to NOT be such tolerant woolly minded liberals. Apart from the fact that I walk around london and feel I've been transported to some third world country when confronted with these women wearing letterboxes and ankle covering black curtains, I don't see any reason to compromise security any more in an already dangerous society.

I live in East London, where there is the highest population density of Muslims anywhere in the UK, and in 18 years of my life I have NEVER been confronted by a single veiled woman.

Do you work at a halal meat shop or something?

Permabanned
How odd. I walk around London and never once thought of it as a third world country and never once felt "confronted" by a veil wearer.
However, many of us natives DO feel that way. We should not be made to feel uncomfortable in our own country by foreigners. They should fit in, or don't come here.

Soldato
OP
That's a very westernised view. I find it sad that so many people want to force their beliefs on others.

yes it is a western view, and proud of it. we don't force islamist to live here. if they feel strongly about it they should go live under shari'ah law in Saudi Arabia, I am not asking them to change their ways over there

Man of Honour
It is broadcasting your belief to everyone. Same basis as Witness'es who knock my door trying to preach. I dont care what you do at home, but don't showcase or ram it down my throat.

How on earth is wearing a veil, shoving it down your throat. That makes absolutely no sense and is not comparable to cold callers.

Caporegime
The main point is why should women have to cover up? In what way does this relate to God or Allah?

Whoa there ace that's a striking spin around on your last

believe that for public interest it is best if you can see people's faces. Religion in my opinion is no reason to cover your identity.

I would ask the people who think that the veils are fine, do you believe that the local chav's who wear the hoodies which also cover their faces should be able to cover themselves too? The reasons are the same in my opinion. No - public safety comes first.

security based point, surely you lead with the main point not some minor sub point?

But iirc, it relates to men being weak and easily tempted, and the covering is to stop the men folk from acting like Neanderthals.

but a country which is Westernised with none Islamic backgrounds, then anybody living in that country should have respect for the nationionalist religion/lack of religion.

Hurrar!

To paganism!

Or can we choose to bring back the old Greek gods, they made east enders look tame.

Last edited:
Associate
If a Lady wants to wear a Veil then what the hell has it got to do with me ?

Though I think that the practice of forcing Ladies to wear veils should be illegal.

If that makes sense ?

Soldato
To be honest, if a ban ever comes into place in the UK, I will miss the car'full'o'ninjas in Leicester :p It's pretty damn funny seeing a Mercedes with five burqa-toting women, like a squad out with a vengeance.

Soldato
It is broadcasting your belief to everyone. Same basis as Witness'es who knock my door trying to preach. I dont care what you do at home, but don't showcase or ram it down my throat.

It's not exactly obtrusive, is it.

Yes, I respect your westernised view, in your westernised country. With mainly westernised people.

I 100% agree.

I'd argue one of the hallmarks of 'westernised' cultures is their tolerance and attitudes to others. Banning things for no good reason is not a 'westernised' approach. It's what I'd expect of Saudi Arabia.

Associate
However, many of us natives DO feel that way. We should not be made to feel uncomfortable in our own country by foreigners. They should fit in, or don't come here.

You cannot quantify how many people feel like this so saying "many" is not an argument and is not a blanket view of all us "natives".

We're not all mindless nationalists.

Soldato
Whoa there ace that's a striking spin around on your last

security based point, surely you lead with the main point not some minor sub point?

But iirc, it relates to men being weak and easily tempted, and the covering is to stop the men folk from acting like Neanderthals.

If the reason is to stop the temptation of men, then surely any man who cannot withhold against their temptations should not be able to be freely walking the street.

If a man gives in to temptation against the womans authorisation, then surely it would be a case for harressment or even leading to 'rape'. I know this is strong, but maybe the religion needs to adapt to the "modern world" where making advances on your temptations is not allowed.

Caporegime
yes it is a western view, and proud of it. we don't force islamist to live here. if they feel strongly about it they should go live under shari'ah law in Saudi Arabia, I am not asking them to change their ways over there

Since when was it the western way to force people how to dress?

That sounds like a concept you'd find in some backwards middle eastern country......

As always with these ideas the two extremes of the line are so close it may as well be circle.

Man of Honour
And yet many of you want to legalise the sex trade, where some will do it from free will and many will still be forced into it and degraded. Yet you want that legal and this banned.

Blanket laws are utterly stupid and do nothing for the cause of the problem.

Caporegime
If the reason is to stop the temptation of men, then surely any man who cannot withhold against their temptations should not be able to be freely walking the street.

Well yeah, it calls for them (the men) to killed for it actually.

If a man gives in to temptation against the womans authorisation, then
surely it would be a case for harressment or even leading to 'rape'.

And they'd either be whipped harshly and sentenced to a long time in prison or stoned if you followed the stricter laws.

I know this is strong, but maybe the religion needs to adapt to the "modern world" where making advances on your temptations is not allowed.

It has long ago, it said "men are easily tempted so we'll make a brutal punishment and try to remove the source of temptation at the same time"

Soldato

If a man gives in to temptation against the womans authorisation, then surely it would be a case for harressment or even leading to 'rape'. I know this is strong, but maybe the religion needs to adapt to the "modern world" where making advances on your temptations is not allowed.

Yeah it's not allowed, but when has the law stopped a rapist from raping someone? And who will he pick as his victim? A lady doing her shopping in morrisons dressed in a curtain or a drunk blonde walking home from a club at 4AM wearing practically nothing?

Back
Top Bottom