Failed driving test :(

Associate
Just the bring up this thread of the dead, I now join the club of epic fail. :p

Ended up with 2 majors and 9 minors (some of which were debatable).
2 majors being:
Drove off with handbrake on (doh! never done that before!)
Some issue on a roundabout where I got into the wrong lane, cut someone up.

Oh well, re-booked for 2 weeks time.

Was is nerves getting the better of you do you think? Only advice I can offer and I know because lots of people will say the same but would be to slow down and try and relax as best as possible, its after all not the end of the world if you have to resit.

Soldato
Doesnt matter, it's still terrible advice.

You rely not only on periodically checking mirrors, but also being able to see things out the corner of your eye. Moving them so you cant do this is not a good idea.

You dont need to emphasise any action to the examiner, you're only distracting yourself if you do. If you're looking in your mirrors, they'll know it.

Soldato
I was told by my instructor to make it blindingly obvious I'm looking at my mirrors! :p

No point, it's their job to look - your concentration is best spent on driving.

A friend of the family is a retired examiner. I remember him telling me about a phase leaners went through a few years ago of not pushing the button to engage the handbrake in order to draw attention to the fact they had done it. Said it annoyed the he'll out of him, I suspect this would be similar. Having someone convulse every few seconds to try and prove a point would probably be equally annoying

Soldato
I didn't think many people did that? At least round here it's very much the exception rather than the norm.

It's going to be compulsory in October, which could make drivers even more nervous - especially if they end up with 3 passengers (chief examiner checking the examiner as well).

They are also bringing in that independent driving thing, where they tell you a place and you have to navigate your own way there using road signs and local knowledge. (I'd imagine it's places like the hospital, train station etc). This will however mean there will be only 1 reversing manouevre.

I think that's not too bad, but some people really aren't good at navigation!

Associate
Apparntly if you bugger up that navigation & the examiner has to tell you were to go then you fail, which tbh i find abit harsh.

Also the way they tell you were to drive changes aswell.

No doudt while your learning to drive, your driving instructor will have all the navigation routes for you to learn beforehand, plus the new way in directions.

Also the theory test changes aswell in October I think.

When i learned how to drive some 18 years ago, it was easier to do as the was no theory test, it was basically lesson then straight to your test at the end all you got was a couple of questions.

I passed first time at 17, and never had a accident or come close to one.

I think it going to gutting for those that got their test's towards end of September that don't pass first time, as for their second test they will have to proberly do it the new way.

Soldato
Just the bring up this thread of the dead, I now join the club of epic fail. :p

Ended up with 2 majors and 9 minors (some of which were debatable).
2 majors being:
Drove off with handbrake on (doh! never done that before!)
Some issue on a roundabout where I got into the wrong lane, cut someone up.

Oops just remember if you do get in the wrong lane, just stay in it and drive safely, you can't be failed for driving correctly but taking the wrong exit from what I remember.

Best of luck next time.:)

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Oops just remember if you do get in the wrong lane, just stay in it and drive safely, you can't be failed for driving correctly but taking the wrong exit from what I remember.

Best of luck next time.:)

You can go completely the wrong way and still pass if it's safely and you can get back on track. I'm assuming this will change with the independent driving part as of this year.

Soldato
Apparntly if you bugger up that navigation & the examiner has to tell you were to go then you fail, which tbh i find abit harsh.

What is deemed as the wrong way though? You could decide to take the scenic route, I'm not sure on the details - maybe they set a time limit too but take into account traffic etc.

Associate
maybe they set a time limit too but take into account traffic etc.

Currently there are certain routes that they cannot use during periods of the day when they know there will be congestion (e.g. no routes by schools before 10 and after 3 and no dual carriageway/circulars after 4)

I imagine that they will follow a similar pattern for the new scheme. You are guided to a certain point whilst the examiner will be monitoring you and carrying out manoeuvres then asked to return to the test centre via a particularly well sign posted A road. They are also supposed to be allowing you to cross arms when turning the wheel again (no more 10-2) according to my old instructor.

Back
Top Bottom