*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Are Fat Gripz any good guys?

They're very good, but you'll have to drop the weight by a significant amount in every exercise you use them in so if you're going for all out strength then they may not be the best piece of equipment.

For grip training though, these combined with my Heavy Grip hand grippers (I only bought the 150, 200 and 250, will need to get the 300 soon) are amazing.

However, now I tend just to use the hand grips for grip training and the Fat Gripz have been demoted to fattening up my dipping bars so they're more comfortable.

Soldato
A little question for you guys. I've been doing 100 pushups challenge

I'm stuck on week 3 day 1

http://hundredpushups.com/week3.html

I'm doing the 3rd column and every time I do it, I'm so knackered that I can't do the very last set (the to failure set) Today was the 3rd time I've tried that same workout, and each time I get closer to successfully doing it. Do you think it is time to drop down a level?

Also, I'm getting pains in my wrists and elbows, is this due to the pushups?

Hitman
Soldato
Need a bit of advice!

Since I started squatting, I can't get the bar to rest comfortably. 100KG is bearable, but as soon as I cranked it up to 120-130KG it started hurting.

Is there a particular way to rest the bar without it causing pain on the top of the shoulders/neck? Or is it a case of getting used to the pain? We've got a cushion-type thing you can wrap around the bar, and that was certainly no help!

Soldato
Anyone buy ultra fine scottish oats?

they are pretty badass but expensive so Ive now gone hardcore..

57p 1kg bag of tescos porridge oats. I just chuck em in a shaker and down em, hard work swallowing and need to chew occasionally to avoid making myself gag. But its cheap and cheerful challenge! :D

Soldato
Anyone buy ultra fine scottish oats?

they are pretty badass but expensive so Ive now gone hardcore..

57p 1kg bag of tescos porridge oats. I just chuck em in a shaker and down em, hard work swallowing and need to chew occasionally to avoid making myself gag. But its cheap and cheerful challenge! :D

Use a blender first...? :confused:

Soldato
Quick question. Recently i've been getting a bit of a funny feeling in my elbows during some exercises.
Normally its just pull ups that gets it and sometimes tricep pulldown, i guess its whenever theres some strain through my arm when it goes from locked out to bent. Just a little grind/click is all it is but obviously i dont want to make it worse. Would taking cod liver oil help or is it just something to live with?

Soldato
Either of those beginner programmes will suit your needs mate. I am doing SL myself. For warming up I tend to do empty bar exercises, nice and slow and focusing on technique and breathing. You should also do warm-up sets with a little weight, building up to your working sets. For flexibility and posture try dynamic stretching etc.
The OHP is an integral part of these programmes and shouldn't really be replaced with anything else. Just build it up slowly (try and get some 500g weights or something) and take your time. Focus on technique, keeping your glutes and core tight as you push.

I'm sure some of the resident experts will have some more advice for you. Good luck and don't give up!

Edit: If you can get a training partner that can have a huge impact on your training and motiviation.

Thanks. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong with the OHP but I managed to injure myself three times last year. I got a pain in my neck and it hurt every time I looked to the far left or right for about a week or two afterwards.

Unfortunately I don't have a training partner as I workout on my own in a disused barn. I'll probably join a gym when the winter comes along if I can find one with some decent free weights equipment around here.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Just started getting into my workouts seriously now, and am aiming for a mixture of fitness/mass gain. I currently run 3 times a week, and do more focussed cardio in the gym twice a week, I'm looking to step this up with some freeweights etc.

My current stats:

Weight: 85.7kg
Chest: 40"
Arms/Bicep: 13" (tiny!)
Thigh: 24"
Calf: 16.5"

This is with pretty much zero weight training, apart from some casual sessions in the gym. As you can probably tell, I'm fairly bottom heavy :p

Here's a quick pic, please excuse the phone camera quality:

IMG_20100814_145326.jpg

I've been doing a lot of core training recently, however I feel that I still have a bit of excess fat, especially on my belly area! What would be the best way to dispose of that, more cardio?

I'm also suffering with a fairly major shoulder injury, so a lot of weights aren't ideal, I'm hoping for an operation soon to fix that :)

Please excuse the noob-ness of my post, I don't come in here often.

Any advice for a noob?

Associate
imo 2 westy
your not really "fat" just not holding much muscle mass, even if you do shred the fat thats there you will just look skinny? im not sure what your goals are you haven't listed them, but i'd focus more on clean bulking, just set a calorie and macro target keep up light cardio and have a good solid weight training regime, if your diets good you should be able to build muscle but keep the fat at bay or even slightly lose it. It's a win/win situation tbh.

Soldato
imo 2 westy
your not really "fat" just not holding much muscle mass, even if you do shred the fat thats there you will just look skinny? im not sure what your goals are you haven't listed them, but i'd focus more on clean bulking, just set a calorie and macro target keep up light cardio and have a good solid weight training regime, if your diets good you should be able to build muscle but keep the fat at bay or even slightly lose it. It's a win/win situation tbh.

Goals really are just building my upper body - I've always had very strong legs, but my upper body suffers.

Back
Top Bottom