*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Time for a new thread for 2010!! :cool:

The old thread has been archived here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17973387

Let's keep this thread on topic, light banter is fine.

Please remember not to offer medical advice or mention illegal substances often associated with bodybuilding.

Please keep this about your gym routines, asking for advice, posting training logs (though if you want to start your own training log that is fine), and anything gym related. If you're unsure feel free to start a new thread and I can merge it to this thread if it is relevant.

I don't want to make the thread too constrictive, and in general the regulars that post moderate the thread themselves. Let's all give each other some encouragement, advice and be friendly to one another. Lots of people dedicate hours helping people with their routines and diets - so please offer those that contribute some respect and common courtesy.

Remember, train big, sleep big, eat big.

There are no limits except those you choose to accept.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd love to hit 600kg before my 30th. So have till the end of July!

Obviously more mass, and definition... but 600kg would be awesome.

Oh and also:

60kg + BW dips
40kg + BW chins

Man of Honour
OP
How much do you weigh now SPW? Being as tall as you are, you'd look rather frightening with a couple more stone on you (as long as it's not fat of course! ;)).

To add to my goals in terms of physique, staying sub 18% @ 16st+ would be also rather nice.

Man of Honour
OP
Those are good honest targets. Benny. Though I thought your 1RMs would be higher than that! :o

I have a feeling this year that it's going to be a year of being "big" rather than ultra lean. I'm going to get the next 8 weeks of leaning up before AGVT and take it from there.

Man of Honour
OP
Your core should be tight when performing any exercise. Most exercises should give you a good hard core work out, so maybe start focusing on your core muscles when doing them. Maybe you need to add some core specific exercises. THIS DOES NOT MEAN AB CRUNCHES!!!!!

Core != abs. Though they are linked of course, but they are not the same.

Abdominal Bracing should be done during all core exercises (try and suck your belly button in towards your spine, without holding your breath, you should be able to hold this and keep breathing wihtout a problem - heck do it whilst sat at your desk.)

Plank
Side Plank
Basic Push Up
V-sits
Squats
Back Bridge
Hip Lift
Russian Twists
Lunges
Side Lunges
Back Extensions
DB pull ins

you can do them at home, you can do it in fron the tv.

If you have re-occuring back pain however I'd see your sports physio.

Man of Honour
OP
Of course it's possible! That's a good back session right there... When I did a 4/5 day split, that was very close to my back day for between 4-6 sets varying from 6-10 reps. Good high volume, high weight, hardcore workout.

However I agree, push/pull splits are good too. I'm currently doing full body split, so naturally falls into a push pull type of work out, including leg work (my fav! :D).

Desperate to go back to AGVT for a couple of months. Then back to the old 4/5 day split. :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
I agree - I think I may have told you off, or was it Benny for over-training? :o (Apols for doing it BTW... just a little passionate about this stuff :p).

However that is not an example of over training AT all.

Man of Honour
OP
Leg work is awesome dude! :D Best exercises you can do! :D

How much do you weigh? Do you train in lbs as 76kg is an odd number, then again even in lbs it converts to 167.2 so still a little strange - or did you mean 75kg?

Legs love volume though and need it. It's about the only exercise where decent high volume is actually brilliant. Remember training your legs is vital, a) for core stability and workout but alos b) because it constitutes over 50% of your entire body's muscle mass.

Squats help muscle development in the whole body (as long as you work out the other part of your body as well!), also it highly stimulates the entire body/cns (deadlifts as well, owing to the huge recruitment for those exercises.). Furthermore, it also increases the levels of testosterone/hgh in the body. The idea is that you will gain more muscle in the upper body (as long as you include them in your work out) than if you weren't doing squats/deadlifts because of this fact.

Your large muscles (back/thighs/glutes) can (in theory) take up to 100 hours to repair fully, but it really depends on volume, intensity and your own genetics - but that's no excuse for low volume or not doing them. The advantages of the test and hgh and CNS activation outweigh the muscle fatigue.

Man of Honour
OP
No coffee at all, im actually caffiene intolerant, I maybe have 4 cups of tea a day now, its will be a biggish meal, heavy on protein and some complex carbs, I normally eat at about 8.30-9pm and then aim to get to bed around 10.30.

I wouldn't have such a big meal at dinner time for a start. Furthermoer it could be that you're overly full before bed, and it's not particularly good either. 1.5hrs after eating is not much before going to bed, can you eat earlier? If not, I'd eat less, and have a bigger lunch or eat more during the day (which is better for you anyway). 4 cups of tea also equates to a lot of caffeine, unless it's caffeine free tea?

Man of Honour
OP
Going to try out a hardcore spit and sawdust gym in a sec.

Shame it wasn't to your needs, but it does sound absolutely brilliant though! :cool:

Goals for 2010 are to keep with my lean bulk and gain as much as I can. Aiming for 16st+ by the end of the year with a decent sized waist

Sounds similar to me! It's all about being a big ****er this year, but also a strong one. I'm feeling particularly puny at the moment, though my strength is good - I think it's a bit of body dismorphia kicking in. :(

Man of Honour
OP
Well things are on track this year, my conditioning & lean mass program is still working well. Although my weight is stagnant, my waist has lost just over an inch since I started and the BF has definitely come down, yet legs arms and chest are still where they should be and actually in places I've gained a bit as well for certain! By the time March rolls around I'll be well and truly ready for the punishment.

For example doing chins + 5kg for 10 reps for 3 sets was fairly straightforward
140kg squats to below parallel for 8-9 reps for 3 sets again was well within my comfort zone.

By the end of Jan to mid Feb, I'll be back to 200kg DLs for 6-8 reps, Squats back to 160 for reps, bench back to 130kg for reps. I'm feeling bloody good. I might have a go at some 1RMs at the end of Feb to see how I get on - hopefully increase my total by 10kg overall would be nice. :)

Then comes the toruture for 60 days. Then back to a 4-5 day split for a bit I reckon.

Man of Honour
OP
Rosbif: To work out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) do the following calculation, workout your RMR and then multiply your activity ratio:

RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

This is what your body would need if you were sedantry and just needed to tick over (a bit like a car engine sat on the drive idling without revving the engine).

Now you need to work out your daily energy expenditure

So you take your RMR and multiply by one of the following (be honest to yourself):

a) If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
b) If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports (yoga, calenetics, light walking etc..) 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
c) If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
d) If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
e) If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Personally despite my hardcore gym nature I'm around c) maybe flitting up to d). However very much closer to c). It's important that you're honest.

500kcals a day over your BMR will in a week on average get you an extra lb. However unfortunately, it often isn't 100% muscle :( Conversely to get rid of of 1lb that's 3500kcals deficit you need. In plain amount of joules/energy required to burn 1lb it's pretty much bang on 3500kcals anyway!

You don't have to count calories really, just eat well, however, it's important to know where your body is at. ?Most people surprise themselves. Mine works out to be around 3500kcals.

So for you rosbif your RMR would be (at the age of 34 and with the stats you've given me):

RMR = 1793.527273

1.375= 2466.1
1.55= 2779.967273
1.725= 3093.834545

So your guestimate wasn't too bad! :cool: :)

You haven't got much fat on you at all. I think you could safely train to add some mass without much worry. You're happy with your diet and not eating crap - that's the number 1 battle. Now you just need to get a good weight lifting program to harden up the muscles you have and add a bit of size to you. Adding 10lbs of lean muscle is not easy, but achieveable this year if you're ready to do it. :)

Yabsley - 85kg at your height seems a little on the slim side - though perfectly health at the same time - taking muscle mass and fat aside that's about average weight for your height. What are your goals in terms of performance and aesthetic value?

I agree with you entirely that there have been some amazing threads and posts and achievements on here. That's why I love this forum - it even helps to motivate me, and when I get in a sulk about my physique and performance it often helps pick me right up again!

Man of Honour
OP
Freefaller thank you very much for the BMR formula. Sorry, I really need to update my profile. I'm no where near 34, I'm actually 25. :) Anyway, after taking that into account my RMR is 1850.

I'm also going to be a c) candidate like yourself. Right now, I'm an e), but when I actually start my mass gaining in February, I wont be doing nearly as much cardio as I do now (which is A LOT!)

So, my RMR of 1850 * 1.55 = 2867.5 :eek:

3100 calories would give me a surplus near(ish) to 250 which would equate to about 2lb in the month. Is that a reasonable figure to be aiming for? I'm a bit paranoid about gaining un-necessary fat. Theres obviously a limit to the rate at which muscle can be built.

Sadly I need to count calories because I know if I dont I WILL under eat. lol, let me tell you that to hear myself say I need to count calories because if I dont I will under eat is mind boggling. I used to weigh 290lb and I never dreamed of the day when I'd be saying that ! :D

290lbs?! Bloody hell you've done a great job getting to where you are now! Well done! :cool:

If you eat decent foods, including good fats, low gi/complex carbs and good quality protein, as well as refuelling properly after workouts (mix of carbs and protein), don't eat too late at night, eat the right snacks, and train your arse off a lot of your gains will be lean muscle. It takes months and months though. However just by stimulating muscle growth you will help keep fat at bay as your metabolic rate will increase - that's the joy of having lots of muscle! :D What's your routine going to be?

Does anybody know if there is any other benefit to using a 'safety squat' bar?

http://www.gymratz.co.uk/gymratz-safety-squat-bar

Not that I have the facility to use one but I have often seen images around the internet of people using these. I know they're often used by people with shoulder mobility issues but wondered if the weight being slightly lower down affects the center of gravity, making the lift easier/harder?

Also the fact your pulling on the handles to keep the weight on your back might make it a slightly bigger compound? I've seen all kinds of wierd shaped squat bars.

OT: Noted they have a 2" thick olympic bar for £65. not sure what rating but seems quite reasonable. Also a 2.5" bar available. For anybody with a home gym fancying a challenge.

I don't think it'll make much difference to be honest. I also don't really like padding on the squat bar, it makes the bar feel unstable to me. However I can see why people with RC issues would find that a really useful bit of kit. :)

Back
Top Bottom