*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Time for a new thread for 2010!! :cool:

The old thread has been archived here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17973387

Let's keep this thread on topic, light banter is fine.

Please remember not to offer medical advice or mention illegal substances often associated with bodybuilding.

Please keep this about your gym routines, asking for advice, posting training logs (though if you want to start your own training log that is fine), and anything gym related. If you're unsure feel free to start a new thread and I can merge it to this thread if it is relevant.

I don't want to make the thread too constrictive, and in general the regulars that post moderate the thread themselves. Let's all give each other some encouragement, advice and be friendly to one another. Lots of people dedicate hours helping people with their routines and diets - so please offer those that contribute some respect and common courtesy.

Remember, train big, sleep big, eat big.

There are no limits except those you choose to accept.

Man of Honour
OP
I'd love to hit 600kg before my 30th. So have till the end of July!

Obviously more mass, and definition... but 600kg would be awesome.

Oh and also:

60kg + BW dips
40kg + BW chins

Associate
Not to get too out of shape while travelling until mid-august - then massive bulk once I'm back. I want my overweight BMI back!

Soldato
More mass/definition,
~bw bench press for 8+ reps
~1.3xbw squat for 8 reps
Able to do weighted dips (I need to start doing these at the start of a chest day, impossible to do for reps at the end of a session)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Starting with two goals for 2010, both of which I reckon are well within reach. First and probably easiest to achieve is to get over 300kg for the big three, second is to get to ~13.5-14 stone in weight with most of that being added muscle.

I've recently started the Stonglifts 5x5 programme and enjoying it so far, have to see how it goes but I'm hoping to make a fair bit of progress with it before having to change again.

Man of Honour
OP
How much do you weigh now SPW? Being as tall as you are, you'd look rather frightening with a couple more stone on you (as long as it's not fat of course! ;)).

To add to my goals in terms of physique, staying sub 18% @ 16st+ would be also rather nice.

Man of Honour
I'm about 12.5 stones right now at 6'4" so it's not a huge increase overall but I'd take that as a good point to re-evaluate and see how I'm doing. I've put on about half a stone since I've been down South I think.

Associate
Not happy about the second part of 2009 in terms of progress, so for this year I want:
-17.5" arms
-dips: bw+30kg for reps
-pullups: bw+20kg for reps
-an almost visible six-pack
-470+ on the big 3.

The arms bit sounds like it's coming from a "bicepz boy" but I want to focus a bit more on mass this year rather than strength, at 6 ft 2 and my arms look spaghetti even at 16+ inches. :(

Last edited:

dun

dun

Soldato
Great mix of goals there lads :D
For me this year, hmmm:

- Get bigger
- Get stronger
- Look better

I don't like setting long term precise goals but for the short term I'd like to increase my strength as much as possible and get over 14 stone.

Soldato
I was wondering what you guys make of my new routine. I've gone from SL 5x5, squatting every work out and working on my strength (which has begin to plateau) so I've decided to shake it up a bit. Now I'll be working out every day (save 1 day in around 6 or so, so 6 days on 1 day off just to give myself a little break) but doing just 2 exercises a day:

Deadlift 3 x 10
Bicep curl 3 x 10

Shoulder press 3 x 10
Pull up 3 x failure

Front squat 3 x 10
Decline bench 3 x 10

Flat bench 3 x 10
Chin up 3 x failure

Incline bench 3 x 10
Bent over row 3 x 10

Apart from pull ups and chin ups, I do 2 warm up sets for every exercise and always rep until failure for the last set.

You'll notice a lack of leg work and perhaps too much focus on upper body work outs. Overworking my legs doing SL 5x5 has made me want a bit of a break, and I've been neglecting my chest so I feel it's got some catching up to do. Plus I really enjoy all of the exercises, which is probably the main reason!

One thing though, increasing the reps of 5 to 10 has been really demoralising! A few months my 1RM for flat bench, (back) squat and deadlift were 100, 125 and 175 respectively. Now I'm struggling to bicep curl 30Kg (albeit with very strict form, and it's the first isolated bicep exercise done in a very long time!) and deadlift 100Kg. Hell, my front squat weight has even dropped below what I can flat bench!

I really have no idea what's happened with my legs recently. Perhaps I need to try an alternative to squatting. Maybe I'll substitute lunges and pistol squats for a few weeks to shake things up a bit.

Anyway, I'd just like to hear what you think because this routine is quite unlike what most do. Personally I like the consistency and relatively short work out times (45 minutes instead of the usual 90).

dun

dun

Soldato
Only one way to tell mate... But for me 6 sets of 10 (especially when 3 of them is biceps for example) is just way way too low volume. But like I say try it and see how you like it, you never know it may work great for you.

Associate
Loose about 3 stone and gain some strength as well.

With very little muscle and weighing just under 16 stone it's pretty hard for me to even do many pushups, let alone chinups. I'd like to be able to do 50 pressups and 20 chinups before the summer. I can do about 10 pressups just now and 0 chinups :/, doesn't help that I left my powerbar at my holiday home.

Back
Top Bottom