Corsair H50 Water Cooling Kit

Associate
My Corsair 700D case along with the H50 should be arriving in the next few hours. I intend on using the two fans that came with my Noctua NH-U12P cooler but also to connect these fans to a Ultra-Low-Noise-Adaptor reducing the fans rpm to 900-1000 rpm. At those speeds, is it sufficient to cool the radiator?

Associate
My Corsair 700D case along with the H50 should be arriving in the next few hours. I intend on using the two fans that came with my Noctua NH-U12P cooler but also to connect these fans to a Ultra-Low-Noise-Adaptor reducing the fans rpm to 900-1000 rpm. At those speeds, is it sufficient to cool the radiator?

I have the Corsair 800D case along with the H50 + i7 980X 3.33GHz ( over clocked to 4.173) and I also use two Noctua NF-P12 Vortex fans is a push pull configuration, taking cool air in from the outside.

The combination works great for me the temperature of the processor just know is low 40s and it’s the PC has been on for an hour.

Oh I also put on AS5 on the H50 :D

Associate

other than using the 800D case, i ran the same noctua fans on a fan controller at half speed.. worked a treat.
changed them to apatche blacks for even better results.

ive gone for full watercooling now, but you will be fine i reckon.

Associate
Cheers for the info, running my two Noctua's fine. Just opted to use 2 of the H50 screws diagonally per fan. The 700D is so large I feel as though I could climb in :p

Running 920 @ stock just now, still to tidy cables :| Temperatures are @ idle 34C and with an hour of Prime95 58C. I'm happy with that just now. Thanks again all.

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone please give me some advice regarding this Corsair cooler.

Ok so I am building my first i7 rig with the following components:

Asus P6X58D-E mobo
Core i7 930 D0 Bloomfield
Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)

All using a Corsair Hydro 50. My questions are,

Would it be best to remove the thermal paste already on the water block and use Arctic Silver 5? Should I put it on both the water block and the CPU or only on the CPU?

With regards to the push/pull setup of the Hydro, I am going to be modeerately overclocking to about 3.8GHZ max, if possible. Do I need to use push pull or will the standard setup of the Hydro be sufficient?

Many many thanks for any helps as this is my first build in a long time.

Cheers,

scoundrel.

Soldato
My questions are,

Would it be best to remove the thermal paste already on the water block and use Arctic Silver 5? Should I put it on both the water block and the CPU or only on the CPU?

With regards to the push/pull setup of the Hydro, I am going to be modeerately overclocking to about 3.8GHZ max, if possible. Do I need to use push pull or will the standard setup of the Hydro be sufficient?

I have an H70, but I guess most of this still applies...

I left the thermal compound on, since I read of others reporting very good temps with the stock compound - often better than the temps they got after reapplying with a third-party compound. But if you do apply TIM, just apply it to one surface. The CPU heatspreader would be the most logical choice.

As for the second question, unless you get a real turkey of a chip, then a single fan will be more than enough for 3.8Ghz. I suspect you will hit 4Ghz without any real heat issues.

Associate
Still at stock 2.67 GHz, re-ran Prime and left for 3 hours and reaches 60C (cores 0 and 2). The curious thing is that with the H50 fitted, whilst core 0 and 2 reach but never exceed 60c, core 1 and 3 are 58 / 55. Haven't seen such a difference in core readings before, least not with air cooling.

Creeps up to 69c after 30 minutes Prime when clocked to 3.5 GHz. In my mind 75c is the maximum temperature I'm happy to run my system at.

Last edited:
Associate
I have an H70, but I guess most of this still applies...

I left the thermal compound on, since I read of others reporting very good temps with the stock compound - often better than the temps they got after reapplying with a third-party compound. But if you do apply TIM, just apply it to one surface. The CPU heatspreader would be the most logical choice.

As for the second question, unless you get a real turkey of a chip, then a single fan will be more than enough for 3.8Ghz. I suspect you will hit 4Ghz without any real heat issues.

Many thanks Duff-Man,

To be honest I dont want to take off the thermal paste but I know AS5 is very good, so I will go with my gut and leave it on, to me it only adds a further dimension of headache.

Hopefully my CPU will be a peach!

Associate
I am currently using a gentle typhoon 1850 exhausting out the case, with the rad against the case and the fan pushing out. My temps seem quiet bad, idle is 45-50 and it can hit 90 load but i guess it'll do, i've reaaplied tim and the airflow isn't terrible so i guess it's just how it is.

Im thinking of changing the fan to an akasa viper so i can run on pwm (the akasa apache wasnt powerful enough i found). worth the change? seems quite good static pressure (2.9)

Associate
not really that should be lower even with a p180 case, what voltage are you planting through your processor ?

sorry updated sig, just put everything into a p193 case for teh extra cooling.

I'll have to check the voltages but it was an OCUK overclocked bundle, i think they have the voltage quite high iirc.

Associate
ok i'v gone and ordered 3 vipers that i will run on pwm, one pushing out on the h-50, one as a front intake, and the 3rd i'll put within the case to help route the fresh air to the rad. will report how that goes!

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick question for those running push / pull on their H50's how have you set the fans up power wise and speed control? The easiest way I can think of would be a 4 pin y splitter of cpu_fan on mobo so it would all be automatic but I can't find a cable to do it.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Well just fitted my H70, and honestly, not that impressed.

Upgraded from a H50-1, was hoping for about a 8-10C difference in max load temps.

I'm getting 2C different.

57C Vs 59C, using same fans (2 x Apache). :(

Also the H70 was a pig to fit Vs the 50. The pipes are shorter, and just as hard to bend. Also as the Rad is fatter the pipes have to do a tighter loop as the rad is closer to the socket. The combination of those elements make it a real pain to fit.

There was a ton of air bubbles in the H70 as well, just tilting the rad I could hear the liquid sloshing about, and upon turning the rig on there was a ton of bubbles pushed through the system.

I'll give it a couple of days to settle down, see if temps improve.

So far I'm thinking £40 wasted (sold my H50 for £45).

Soldato
Well just fitted my H70, and honestly, not that impressed.

Upgraded from a H50-1, was hoping for about a 8-10C difference in max load temps.

I'm getting 2C different.

57C Vs 59C, using same fans (2 x Apache). :(

Also the H70 was a pig to fit Vs the 50. The pipes are shorter, and just as hard to bend. Also as the Rad is fatter the pipes have to do a tighter loop as the rad is closer to the socket. The combination of those elements make it a real pain to fit.

There was a ton of air bubbles in the H70 as well, just tilting the rad I could hear the liquid sloshing about, and upon turning the rig on there was a ton of bubbles pushed through the system.

I'll give it a couple of days to settle down, see if temps improve.

So far I'm thinking £40 wasted (sold my H50 for £45).

I just see it as you haven't lost out tbh.

Back
Top Bottom