Why are modern car adverts so tame & soulless?

Soldato
Seriously, why is there no passion about how well the car performs ... they don't show some hard acceleration, hard cornering, a nice B road blast with tyre squeal, etc.

Things are either bland, or do they something stupid like that old hide and seek advert :(

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Seriously, why is there no passion about how well the car performs ... they don't show some hard acceleration, hard cornering, a nice B road blast with tyre squeal, etc.

Things are either bland, or do they something stupid like that old hide and seek advert :(

Quite simply, they're not allowed. Hence why BMW responded with their BMW film site when they sanctioned it was not OK in the UK to show any real hooning.

The sites long gone, but just put "BMW The Hire" in youtube :)

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Because if the advert seems to be encouraging speeding, the think of the children brigade complain to the ASA who make them pull the advert.

Shame no-one complains when adverts show people driving around with their foglights on during the day.

Soldato
OP
I've seen "The Hire" stuff, now that was some proper car adverts.

As for them not being allowed, show me where it says that within any of the ASA guidelines or rulings?
If the car companies put a little bit of text "the actions here were filmed on a closed road and are not to be performed on open roads" then they are fine surely.

Soldato
I'm sure this was covered in TG when Clarkson and May tried to make a Scirocco advert with speed, tyres squealing, redlining etc.

The advertising team at VW refused it on the grounds that "you can't show that".

Because if the advert seems to be encouraging speeding, the think of the children brigade complain to the ASA who make them pull the advert.

Yet we're allowed adverts on global warming, telling us we're doing to die if we don't "OMG THINK OF TEH CARBONZ" and associated unproven dross. :rolleyes:

Associate
Its all down to liability and public perception of the brand, everyone’s so scared of offending each other the ads have become lame and soulless as their audience, quite fitting really.

Man of Honour
As for them not being allowed, show me where it says that within any of the ASA guidelines or rulings?

Go and find it yourself - its there, people are not lying to you, you do not know best.

You are not allowed to screen car adverts which are shown to encourage or glorify speeding.

Back
Top Bottom