Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Associate
Yep installed graphics drivers from Acer site - DM still reports device cannot start... :/

CCC just shows the Intel GPU - and there is no context menu on right click to switch displays in Windows :/

Soldato
OP
Yep installed graphics drivers from Acer site - DM still reports device cannot start... :/

CCC just shows the Intel GPU - and there is no context menu on right click to switch displays in Windows :/

Which drive version did you download? I can check in about 30 mins or so the exact version I used and they worked fine on the 8371, so you can try those if you have used different ones. The only thing I can think of is the drivers you installed are dodgy.

Associate
Ok I now know it's something to do with Acer PowerSmart manager. However, after installing it, it does not boot on start up. If I go to the program folder, I see "NVHybridGraphicsSwitch.exe" however it crashes when I run it.

This is a 100% clean install of W7 Home Premium... what's going on!!

Associate
So when I select switchable graphics in the bios, I get code 10: device cannot start against the ATI GPU - however if I choose dedicated then it loads fine and works fine.

Any advice highly welcomed... not quite sure how I can get Win7 to switch to the ATI GPU when it reports it "cannot start"..

Associate
I haven't even had mine a week and it has been replaced with a much better model. :(

edit: is the Win7 you get with the 3810TG 32bit or 64bit?

I did a quick rundown:

Acer Timeline 3810TG £389.99 vs Acer Travelmate 8371 £349.99

Gain
Get Windows 7
500GB HDD
HDMI (replaces docking port)
SPDIF on the line out
wireless N is no longer draft
It says 9hr of battery rather than 8.5
Better sound
Slightly smaller, 100g lighter

Lost
Fingerprint reader
Seems to have dropped the "Travelmate" name (less business notebook now)
Doesn't mention the Anti Shock protection
Doesn't mention a 7200rpm HDD

I don't know what the looks of it are, by dropping the Travelmate and business orientated side it may have got a more glossy look.

But screen isnt as good on the 3810TG !

Keyboard is different too, depends what you prefer

Soldato

I have since decided that the only benefit would be Windows 7 which can be easily sorted anyway. Specially if the design of the 3810TG is a lot different, I really like my 8371 so I'm looking at Win7 upgrade come 2011.

What is the difference in the screen? The description on the pages I couldn't see a difference.

Soldato
OP

I agree, screen won't be as good but it's still one hell of a deal! :)

Dragon - I fitted a SSD in my 8371 back when I first got it, then you showed how it's possible to fit 2 hdds in there. Would I need to take the SSD out and open it up or can I not do this with the C300 SSD? Or do you need a specific type of 'smaller' SSD? Finally I've never taken a laptop apart before, how do you get under the keyboard? I don't wanna risk it but badly want 2 hdds in there! :o

Soldato
OP
Those are no longer available on the Acer drivers pages. And they list the same drivers for Home Premium and Ultimate :/

Not sure what to do!

Just compressing the file now, can send it over msn if you want? It's around 170mb, I'm heading out in awhile but can leave my PC on if you want me to send it over to you? Let me know. :)

edit: Going out now, let me know if you still need it later today. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks mate, I might take you up on that. My main concern is why is task manager reporting the device as unable to start (code 10). Is this normal when the Intel GPU is in use?

Soldato
yes, however only normal when the drivers aren't installed correctly. you say you changed the bios to switchable? maybe that had some effect on it?

i would say uninstall all the ati drivers, restart and do a new install with either the ones you have ore the ones from e36Adz.

when running on the intel GPU you shouldn't see the ati card in device manager, when running on the ATI card you should see both

Associate
yes, however only normal when the drivers aren't installed correctly. you say you changed the bios to switchable? maybe that had some effect on it?

i would say uninstall all the ati drivers, restart and do a new install with either the ones you have ore the ones from e36Adz.

when running on the intel GPU you shouldn't see the ati card in device manager, when running on the ATI card you should see both

That's really weird... I am starting to wonder if there is a fault with my laptop. With no drivers installed, I still see both GPUs - and the only way to avoid getting a "device cannot start" error from the ATI GPU is to disable switchable in the BIOS.

I did upgrade to the newest BIOS, and now it won't let me "downgrade". It just reports that my current bios is newer than the one i'm trying to install :/

Last edited:
Soldato
no no thats fine. thats what I was trying to say, with no drivers installed (or at least default windows ones) you see both and get a "device cannot start" error. once the drivers are installed properly you get what I described above

Associate
Ok with the drivers uninstalled, it reports code 43 (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems). However, after installing the ATI drivers, it states exactly the same thing :/

I am flashing back to an earlier BIOS to see if it has anything to do with the newest revision... If that doesn't work, i'm going to do a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate...

Last edited:
Associate
Ok a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - device manager finds two GPUs:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)
Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)

The ATI 4300 has a device status of "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

The Intel 45 is working properly.

This is while plugged in to mains power.

I am now downloading the "VGA Driver ATI for M92LP" from the Acer site - the current version listed is 8.593.1.0000 - once downloaded, I will install and come back with an update.

To be clear, no other drivers have yet been installed, no chipset, touchpad, nothing additional to what W7 has automatically installed.

*** UPDATE ***

So after installing the above described VGA Driver from Acer, the ATI GPU now reports code 10 - "The device cannot start". I have installed nothing else.

Does this look like i've got a faulty laptop?

**** FIXED IT!! ****

For anyone else that may stumble across this issue with the 3810TG - here is the solution!

The drivers on Acer's site DON'T work. VGA Driver ATI for M92LP version 8.593.1.0000 doesn't work! I found a newer version of these specific drivers, which can be obtained below:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6GYK3ITY
These are version v8.652.1 and specifically for Windows 7.

After installing these, the device started working and I got the switchable option on my right click! SUPER!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soldato
Well I had to send my 8371 back due to it rebooting randomly, they couldn't fix it and now have none in stock :( I also can't find a price anywhere near the £350! I might steal the other one I ordered for my brother :p

Now i'm left with the option of the 3810TG which doesn't seem as good :(

Back
Top Bottom