• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Soldato
[WU-TANG]GZA;18084560 said:
I knew about unlocking the cores on their CPUs tbh I didn't know that they have done this in the past with CPUs.

I apologise for my ignorance - but you have to excuse somebody for not knowing as much as the people on here but you have to see it from ppl like my point of view.

I bought a product for X price and the next day it comes out I could have had the inferior product but closer in performance than before for -20% price-wise.

Call it butthurt as much as you want...it's rather childish...but go ahead.

But like I said - not everyone knows as much as you guys nor has the time to research things as much as you do either.

Merry xmas

Oh I'm not having pop at you mate, I can understand how you feel, I've made the same buying decisions meself many times in the past and felt a bit knarked about it when I lost out. But, I reckon this all stemmed from one reviewer finding out that his 6950 had a 6970 shader count and had to disable a number of them to allow him to fairly benchmark it.
I can see these extra shaders being laser cut in the near future to prevent this situation carrying on, this was was done on the X800GTO I believe.

Associate
Oh I'm not having pop at you mate, I can understand how you feel, I've made the same buying decisions meself many times in the past and felt a bit knarked about it when I lost out. But, I reckon this all stemmed from one reviewer finding out that his 6950 had a 6970 shader count and had to disable a number of them to allow him to fairly benchmark it.
I can see these extra shaders being laser cut in the near future to prevent this situation carrying on, this was was done on the X800GTO I believe.

Nah I know u weren't mate - I quoted you to reply to you but then was talking generically

No worries :D

Associate
The power supply situation is enough to make me comfortable with having paid the full whack. Those who bought the 6970 should not feel bad :)

Associate
I'm waiting for tomorrow with the small possibility of a today only deal on the 6950. Fingers crossed
Er, the HIS 6950 is on deal of the week for £213 - if you wait it could go either way.
There's always the possibility of a deal on new years day, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
You could order it now, with delivery for next week, then re-do it if the price falls :)

Caporegime
OP
What do you think I should do?. Get the 6950 with i3 dual, or keep the 5850 when it arrives and still get the i5 quad?. I'll be overclocking both CPU's to their full potential. Arrrggghh choices. (congrats on the flash btw Easy, I blame you for this change of mind :D)

435559694_o.jpg

5850 930 core, 1250 memory @1.25volts. 1920x1080 resolution. £150

Stock Flashed "6970" £213
6970stockheaven-1.jpg

Associate
I think the coolers on the 6950 and 6970 are the same :).

Is your flashed 6950 fan getting loud?

I haven't properly tested it yet. There was a decent improvement in Heaven but just want to make sure it doesn't get too hot. The default fan when running as a 6950 doesn't ramp up as early as I might like but it didn't go above 70C before and the noise levels were nice and quiet.

Will run a few more tests and see how hot it gets.

Associate
[WU-TANG]GZA;18084595 said:
Probably not I could probably cancel the order - but with and then without the 5% it swings back in 6970's favour for me...I'll stick with it :D
Ah, so you haven't got the 6970 yet. Lol, we both ordered the HIS 6970 on xmas day, and don't feel like switching to the 6950 without the 5%.

The power supply situation is enough to make me comfortable with having paid the full whack. Those who bought the 6970 should not feel bad :)
Well I do :) I hope that all those with the 6950 can get stable 6970 results, and a little OC on top too. And I hope 6970 owners can voltage mod and get a great OC.

As above, I expect AMD will have to take a lazer to future 6950s, so buy now :)

Associate
Er, the HIS 6950 is on deal of the week for £213 - if you wait it could go either way.
There's always the possibility of a deal on new years day, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
You could order it now, with delivery for next week, then re-do it if the price falls :)

Yeah I could do. Either way I'm ordering before the 29th. And I'm still waiting on a few parts for my new build so I don't need the card right away. So today I'll just put my christmas money in the bank so I have enough to afford the card. It does help to have the money first :D

J.D

J.D

Soldato
:eek: Arrrgggghhh *fizzle *pop*. <-(my brain)

Thank you for the reply Easy. Wow!. Impressive!.

So how do you think the i3 @ 4Ghz would compare to your i7 @ 4Ghz?. I mean, how much of an effect would I see in the average gaming title?. Roughly.

Caporegime
OP
:eek: Arrrgggghhh *fizzle *pop*. <-(my brain)

Thank you for the reply Easy. Wow!. Impressive!.

So how do you think the i3 @ 4Ghz would compare to your i7 @ 4Ghz?. I mean, how much of an effect would I see in the average gaming title?. Roughly.

I would rather have an i3 and a "6970" than a 760 and a 5850

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom