• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge 2500k Just Died

Soldato
so the current opinion is just to keep Vdimm@ 1.5v right?
my stuff just turned up and I'm itching to build but dont wanna fry my new kit

Yup keep your memory voltage to 1.5v or max of 1.55v (In the BIOS) if you find the memory to be a bit unstable and don't go over 1.35vcore (in the BIOS) when you overclock the CPU and set the BCLK to 100 manually (DON'T Overclock the BCLK) as some AUTO settings on motherboards can set it slightly higher.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
TBH I'm gonna stick with the Corsair, as that's the brand I always use, and just run it at 1333Mhz and 1.5v. The real-world performance difference will be minimal.

Its fine, we have Corsair running at rated timings here at 1.50v no issues, it seems memory manufacturers have all updated their IC's but not their SPD/Jedec profiles.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Right guys myself and our technical guys have spent the entire weekend and this morning in discussions with Intel regarding the alarming amount of reports of Sandybridge CPU's dying and have been conducting our own testing as have Intel to find out what is a definite no no.

Sandybridge maximum safe voltages

Core Voltage - Not recommended too exceed 1.38v, doing so could kill the CPU, we therefor recommend a range of 1.325-1.350v if overclocking.
Memory Voltage - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means upto 1.58v is the safe recommended limit. In our testing we have found 1.65v has caused no issues.
BCLK Base Clock - This is strictly a NO, anyone using base clock overclocking could/will cause damange to CPU/Mainboard. (Set manually to 100)
PLL Voltage - Do not exceed 1.9v!!

Processor - Basically we recommend customers not to exceed 1.35v to play it safe, all our bundles are set at 1.3250v or lower, any competitors offering bundles above 4.6GHz you should be enquiring as to what voltage they are using as we believe anything over 1.38v will limit CPU lifespan and anything over 1.42v will likely kill the CPU or severely limit its lifespan.

Memory - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means 1.60v is the ideal safe maximum, but we have found in our testing all 1.65v memory is fine. We have also found most new 1.65v like Corsair XMS3 will run at its rated timings with just 1.50-1.55v which is well within Intel specifications. So people upgrading to Sandybridge you can still use your old DDR3, but we do recommend you run it at 1.60v or less. We are shipping most of our bundles which feature Corsair XMS at 1.50v-1.55v at rated timings. We've also discussed with Asus and MSI regarding voltages for memory and they also confirm in their testing 1.65v caused no issues with reliability.

Base Clock - To put it simple if you value the life of your components, do not overclock using base clock!

PLL Voltage - Again do not exceed 1.9v!

These are just guidelines we recommend you follow, if you want to push more voltage through your CPU's then just be aware they could die on you. Your warranty is un-affected and we will honor any CPU's that die, we just won't ask questions as to how you killed them. ;)

Not all CPU's are as fragile as others, we have experimented upto 1.50v Vcore and 1.70v memory and had zero issues with reliability, so it seems some of fine when pushing hard. :)

Associate
cheers guys (esp. purgatory), gonna start the build in a sec. Dont plan to OC yet, until we know more about the longevity of these chips. Wish me luck!
edit: Gibbo just saw your latest post, same time as this one, I have the XMS3 and was starting to worry, Will try at 1.5v to start with. thanks for setting my mind at ease

Last edited:
Soldato
cheers guys (esp. purgatory), gonna start the build in a sec. Dont plan to OC yet, until we know more about the longevity of these chips. Wish me luck!

You're welcome mate.. Also don't overclock until your thermal paste has cured and leave the pc running on and off for a week before attempting to overclock is also my advice that way allows the components to wear in slowly and not get a sudden shock when you overclock. Also this will allow you a week to rule out any problems with the pc that may crop up under stock settings (ruling out if it's an unstable overclock causing the problems).

Last edited:
Associate
I'm pretty new to overclocking, so no expert, but luckily whats outlined above is what I was sticking to for my overclock.

My 2600k has gone up to 4.6 ghz so far (not going to push it any further really) using 1.3 v, 100.00 base frequency and 46 multiplier. So far, this seems perfectly stable, but have yet to run extensive tests though to make sure, but if this is stable I'll prolly leave it running at that.

Soldato
Awesome post there Gibbo. I suggest breaking that out into a new post and stickying it tbh :)

EDIT: You're way ahead of me as usual :)

I'll give my XMS3 a go at 1600Mhz with 1.5 or 1.55v. If it works then fine, otherwise I'll leave it at 1333Mhz/1.5v I think :)

Not planning on overclocking the CPU at all for now as, even at stock, it decimates pretty much everything already :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
brilliant service i am going to order my bundle from here once they stock the new 1.5v 2133mhz stuff.the warranty where u dont ask questions is brilliant but i wont need it as i am hoping i can convince you guys into selling me a 4.6 bundle that works at 1.3v :p

MSI GD65 + 2600k + 2133mhz +1.3v = 4.6GHZ sandy and me sorted for the next 4 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Say for e.g I use the asus overclocking feature that comes with the p67 deluxe
Will it set the Blck to more than a 100 automatically With turboV

Just wondering

Associate
Hi there

Right guys myself and our technical guys have spent the entire weekend and this morning in discussions with Intel regarding the alarming amount of reports of Sandybridge CPU's dying and have been conducting our own testing as have Intel to find out what is a definite no no.

Core Voltage - Not recommended too exceed 1.38v, doing so could kill the CPU, we therefor recommend a range of 1.325-1.350v if overclocking.
Memory Voltage - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means upto 1.58v is the safe recommended limit. In our testing we have found 1.65v has caused no issues.
BCLK Base Clock - This is strictly a NO, anyone using base clock overclocking could/will cause damange to CPU/Mainboard. (Set manually to 100)

Processor - Basically we recommend customers not to exceed 1.35v to play it safe, all our bundles are set at 1.3250v or lower, any competitors offering bundles above 4.6GHz you should be enquiring as to what voltage they are using as we believe anything over 1.38v will limit CPU lifespan and anything over 1.42v will likely kill the CPU or severely limit its lifespan.

Memory - Intel recommend 1.50v plus/minus 5% which means 1.60v is the ideal safe maximum, but we have found in our testing all 1.65v memory is fine. We have also found most new 1.65v like Corsair XMS3 will run at its rated timings with just 1.50-1.55v which is well within Intel specifications. So people upgrading to Sandybridge you can still use your old DDR3, but we do recommend you run it at 1.60v or less. We are shipping most of our bundles which feature Corsair XMS at 1.50v-1.55v at rated timings. We've also discussed with Asus and MSI regarding voltages for memory and they also confirm in their testing 1.65v caused no issues with reliability.

Base Clock - To put it simple if you value the life of your components, do not overclock using base clock!

These are just guidelines we recommend you follow, if you want to push more voltage through your CPU's then just be aware they could die on you. Your warranty is un-affected and we will honor any CPU's that die, we just won't ask questions as to how you killed them. ;)

Not all CPU's are as fragile as others, we have experimented upto 1.50v Vcore and 1.70v memory and had zero issues with reliability, so it seems some of fine when pushing hard. :)

Thanks for this Gibbo. Can you please advise what motherboards and which BIOS rev. was employed in this testing?

I've had lots of stability issues with my Asus P8P67 Pro running all stock settings (CPU & RAM) and also running with 2133MHz RAM speed & 1.65v, which is what mine is rated at. On auto board runs it at 1066MHz & 1.5V).

Tried all BIOS revs. same issue, also CPU fans not changing speed. Could I swap my mobo for another P8P67 Pro to eliminate hardware issue? May be a BIOS thing but quite a few of us have the problem.

Soldato
Say for e.g I use the asus overclocking feature that comes with the p67 deluxe
Will it set the Blck to more than a 100 automatically With turboV

Just wondering

....DON'T USE AUTO OVERCLOCKING on any Sandy Bridge motherboard with current BIOS's... There is a good chance it will set the vcore for the CPU too high and alter the BCLK Base Clock..

Read this ... it is very easy to overclock a Sandy Bridge CPU now aslong as you stick to some simple rules.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18227651

Soldato
Thanks for testing the limits OcUK :).
I never knew Sandybridge was so fragile... all the reviews have showed it's a great chip!

It is a great chip, just good old Intel didn't make it very clear what the chips limits are regarding voltages, memory voltages and the Base Clock on this new 32nm process.

Also all CPUs are fragile if you start pushing them out of spec.. So nothing really too new there.. Just we are all learning the limits of this new technology.

Soldato
....DON'T USE AUTO OVERCLOCKING on any Sandy Bridge motherboard with current BIOS's... There is a good chance it will set the vcore for the CPU too high and alter the BCLK Base Clock..

Read this ... it is very easy to overclock a Sandy Bridge CPU now aslong as you stick to some simple rules.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18227651

Thanks Purgatory I will follow the attached link

Very much apprecated

Soldato
The Asus manual for the P8P67 states
"According to Intel CPU spec, DIMMs with voltage requirement over 1.65v may damage the CPU permanently. We recommend you install the DIMMs with the voltage requirement below 1.65v"

So why on earth can the Dimm voltage in the bios go up to 2.2v ?????
As I said earlier, I'm really worried that the Motherboard manufacturers have such 'wild' voltage ranges in the bios, with little warning or protection against serious overvolting.

I can understand it in the pure enthusiast boards like the Maximus, but the P8P67 is a general supply board and should really be well protected.

Its not asus fault that some people think they know it all when they havn't a clue and mess with that they shouldn't have to.

Soldato
Hi there

Gibbo what cpu voltage and ram voltage is the MSI P67A-GD65 board putting when you use the oc genie 2 is it putting safe volts

Back
Top Bottom