Samsung 226BW Bad Caps warning

C64

C64

Soldato
Caps are so cheap anyway the difference to samsung is probably 1p a cap or something silly makes you wonder why they would put bad caps in.
Wonder if samsung are still putting these time bombs in their new stuff it would put me off buying any of their future monitors if they do.

CAPACITOR, 150UF, 450V

Capacitor Dielectric Type:Aluminium Electrolytic; Capacitance:150µF; Capacitance Tolerance:± 20%; Voltage Rating:450V DC; Series:KXW; Life Time @ Temperature:2000 hours @ 105°C; Height:45mm; Outer;
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAPACITOR, 150UF, 450V

Capacitor Dielectric Type:Aluminium Electrolytic; Capacitance:150µF; Capacitance Tolerance:± 20%; Voltage Rating:450V DC; Series:VXG; Life Time @ Temperature:5000 hours @ 105°C; Height:25mm; Outer;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so whats the difference between plain 450v and 450v DC on the Rubycon is that the wrong one btw as it says the crapxon is 42mm height ?
which is the right one to get ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Caps are so cheap anyway the difference to samsung is probably 1p a cap or something silly makes you wonder why they would put bad caps in.
Wonder if samsung are still putting these time bombs in their new stuff it would put me off buying any of their future monitors if they do.

Ordering mine now not using RSSW the delivery charge is a joke £11 for the caps and £9 total delivery and farnell don't have any panasonic stock so may aswell try another brand.

If you live near an RS outlet then you can collect them. they're delivery charges are rather extortionate.

As for putting good quality caps in the first place, that rarely seems to happen these days especially at the cheaper end of things from my limited experience. :(

Until people vote with their wallet or make more use of the SOGA, I can't see this changing anytime soon...

EDIT: You don't have to go for Panasonic caps, just try and go for low ESR caps from a decent brand and your screen will be better than when it left the factory! :) Also, you'll notice that many of the caps specs have a lifetime rating, this is where the better brands tend to prove their worth... :)

Last edited:
Soldato

CAPACITOR, 150UF, 450V

Capacitor Dielectric Type:Aluminium Electrolytic; Capacitance:150µF; Capacitance Tolerance:± 20%; Voltage Rating:450V DC; Series:KXW; Life Time @ Temperature:2000 hours @ 105°C; Height:45mm; Outer;
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAPACITOR, 150UF, 450V

Capacitor Dielectric Type:Aluminium Electrolytic; Capacitance:150µF; Capacitance Tolerance:± 20%; Voltage Rating:450V DC; Series:VXG; Life Time @ Temperature:5000 hours @ 105°C; Height:25mm; Outer;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so whats the difference between plain 450v and 450v DC on the Rubycon is that the wrong one btw as it says the crapxon is 42mm height ?
which is the right one to get ?

I missed your post after it was edited... The voltage rating on both of those is the same. All caps are rated in DC volts.

You need to make sure the lead spacing matches the holes in the PCB, otherwise soldering it in will be a pain.

I'd go for the 2nd one if it fits, 5000 hours is better than 2000 hours lifetime.

:)

Associate
My 32" Samsung TV has been whistling whilst on standby for a while now. Unfortunately it's well out of warranty so I'd written off being able to do anything about it without spending loads of dosh to get it repaired. I'm now wondering if bad caps are an issue and if I can deal with them.

Quick question though. Is there a big issue with static discharge when taking the back off large LCD monitors?

Soldato
My 32" Samsung TV has been whistling whilst on standby for a while now. Unfortunately it's well out of warranty so I'd written off being able to do anything about it without spending loads of dosh to get it repaired. I'm now wondering if bad caps are an issue and if I can deal with them.
It's possible that the caps are causing other components to whine if they have gone bad... Caps don't usually whine themselves.
Quick question though. Is there a big issue with static discharge when taking the back off large LCD monitors?
You mean static from a person to the monitor? Well in fact any capacitors on the PCB will soak up any normal amounts of static discharge so you don't have to worry about that. :)

Soldato
Its the power supply caps that are buggered on my screens, I doubt anyone will want them now as they have been outside in the rain and snow since xmas:mad:

Oh I see, I was going to say if you lived close to me then I'd be tempted to have a crack at fixing them myself, but if they've been out in the rain I'll forget about it, lol.

It's a bit late now but you may have been able to get a replacement under the SOGA, you've got nothing to lose by doing this...

Soldato
Oh I see, I was going to say if you lived close to me then I'd be tempted to have a crack at fixing them myself, but if they've been out in the rain I'll forget about it, lol.

It's a bit late now but you may have been able to get a replacement under the SOGA, you've got nothing to lose by doing this...

yeah well I took 1 apart, and this is what I found, I tried for ages to get the caps replaced, but I couldnt get anyone to replace them. Just before xmas my other screen went the same way, as in it kept going off and on.

dscf07342ft8.jpg

Associate
I have the exact same monitor as the OP and mine has the similar problem that started a week after the 3 years buy date. Earlier I owned a Samsung Cell Phone that went dead just a week after the warranty had expired. I'm never going to buy a Samsung product again.

Gana.

C64

C64

Soldato
Lead spacing it the space between the 2 leads coming out the bottom of the capacitor.

They need to be the same distance apart as the holes in the PCB...

Damnit wish I'd known that before ordering ah well got them off that auction site in the end same place as another guy that fixed his so should be okay I guess.Just awaiting delivery now.

Soldato
Damnit wish I'd known that before ordering ah well got them off that auction site in the end same place as another guy that fixed his so should be okay I guess.Just awaiting delivery now.
You'll probably be ok, but these size capacitors aren't hugely expensive, so you can always order some more if they're not the right ones... It can be annoying waiting for delivery though...
yeah well I took 1 apart, and this is what I found, I tried for ages to get the caps replaced, but I couldnt get anyone to replace them. Just before xmas my other screen went the same way, as in it kept going off and on.

dscf07342ft8.jpg
Yep I can see some caps there that need replacement... You could have tried to do it yourself, but I guess soldering isn't for everyone...

I have the exact same monitor as the OP and mine has the similar problem that started a week after the 3 years buy date. Earlier I owned a Samsung Cell Phone that went dead just a week after the warranty had expired. I'm never going to buy a Samsung product again.

Gana.
Take a look at the SOGA, just because something is out of warranty doesn't mean you can't get a replacement...

Soldato
Now I have a nice 28" Hanns-G screen, so I not too bothered about my viewsoinc screens now. But at the time I was gutted about throwing them out, as I kept them in my room for ages. But in the end I thought this was stupid, why am I keeping them for. But even so, I brought them back inside twice before leaving them outside.:D

C64

C64

Soldato
Take a look at the SOGA, just because something is out of warranty doesn't mean you can't get a replacement...

Yea good luck getting anywhere with that, you WILL have to get a solicitor a smalls claims court thing going etc etc

I tried on mine with the etailer I bought mine from they said the product didn't have an inherent fault.

Ordered my caps yesterday and they arrived today that auction place guy is really good even threw in some solder wire.

Waiting on my de soldering braid to come now.

Associate
Got a Samsung SM245B+ here which I've had since October 2008, wondering how much longer it's going to last... Think if I did resell it now I should get a decent price for it as it's still in decent condition and it's a 1920 x 1200 screen.

Got the exact same screen so i'm abit nervous as well. got mine in August 2007.

Back
Top Bottom