PFA Player & Young Player of the Year 2011

Caporegime
He is? :eek: :confused:

I cant believe I've forgotten all about Hernandez, might not play week in week out but has scored 9 goals for us this season which is a great return. Surely should be considered at least for the Young Player award?

Yes, as with any player commentators go nuts if someone has 3 good games in a year. People were all over Bale about 3 games into his good form last season despite having been rubbish for 18 months before hand. Watch a game with Rafael in it and you got a non stop diatribe from commentators over how fantastic he'll be, great going forwards and constant excuses made for his weaknesses(attitude/consistantly getting caught out of position and making rash/cynical tackles to cover, which probably worked against him for that red card as he frequently does foul in those situations).

Hernandez, its 6 in the league which is generally more important than cup form as you'll often bag silly goal numbers against crap teams. More than good as he's only played a little over 700 minutes, so around 8 "full" games worth of minutes but broken up into a lot more small chunks.

He has only scored against Stoke, west Brom and Wigan in the league though, two pretty rubbish teams and one team that just can't seem to perform against Utd. has lots of games where he's incredibly quiet and uninvolved, but thats the nature of playing as that type of striker, games Utd suck he gets zero delivery and people forget he's on the pitch.

Caporegime
I don't think Fabregas should be in for player of the year, thus far he's only given a few solid performances, he was good on the weekend but he's been out injured for a bit too. Nasri has been more consistent imo.

Associate
I highly doubt either will win the main one tbh, Bale will get Young Player no questions asked, VDV probably wont get anything other than maybe being widely acknowledged as the signing of the season

I dont watch enough of Spurs to agree with you about Modric but out of the 3 he's the one I'd most want at United :p

I would rather see VDV at united than Bale or Modric..... The wings at united are solid, rafael, evra, nani, giggs and Velencia when he is fit. so who would you take out to play Bale every week?
VDV would be exactly what united need in the centre when you consider Scholes is getting on and needs resting a lot, Carrick is not to the standard he was in 2008/09 so VDV in the centre with Anderson would be perfect.

Bale is a crackin player but tbh everyone went a bit Bale mad after those two games against Inter Milan where im sorry to say the defence was shocking!

Modic is a class player but I think VDV has an edge over him with the fact he can also win you a game, he scores some vital goals.

Rafael could also be considered for Young PFA? He has been world class this season.

Soldato
Modic is a class player but I think VDV has an edge over him with the fact he can also win you a game, he scores some vital goals.

VdV is best when he plays in the hole and is given the freedom to roam. There's no way that a team could accommodate both him and Rooney. They're too similar.

I can see why other Man Utd fans want Modric though. He's got great vision, a wonderful range of passing and can receive the ball even when tightly marked. He effectively a much, much better version of Carrick.

Soldato
I would rather see VDV at united than Bale or Modric..... The wings at united are solid, rafael, evra, nani, giggs and Velencia when he is fit. so who would you take out to play Bale every week?
VDV would be exactly what united need in the centre when you consider Scholes is getting on and needs resting a lot, Carrick is not to the standard he was in 2008/09 so VDV in the centre with Anderson would be perfect.

Bale is a crackin player but tbh everyone went a bit Bale mad after those two games against Inter Milan where im sorry to say the defence was shocking!

Rafael could also be considered for Young PFA? He has been world class this season.

manu need a left winger, nani and valencia cover right, giggs cant go for ever.

they also need 2 center mids which would be modric and VDV :)

Associate
Marc Albrighton undoubtedly deserves a mention for Young Player.

As for the "Player of the Year" anyone suggesting Berbatov must be mad - yes he's top scorer but plays so much in fits and starts, and is anonymous far too regularly to be considered.

Soldato
OP
As for the "Player of the Year" anyone suggesting Berbatov must be mad - yes he's top scorer but plays so much in fits and starts, and is anonymous far too regularly to be considered.

Had this argument already :rolleyes:

Berbatov - 19 league goals scoring in 9 games
Tevez - 14 league goals scoring in 9 games

Berbatov has scored in just as many games as any of the other leading goal scorers, he's just scored more

Soldato
Out of curiousity does anybody know how many goals Berbatov has got vs the teams in the top half. Doesn't mean much but it's quite interesting to see what type of games certain players score in.

Soldato
OP
Out of curiousity does anybody know how many goals Berbatov has got vs the teams in the top half. Doesn't mean much but it's quite interesting to see what type of games certain players score in.

As the top half currently stands

6th Sunderland x2
7th Blackburn x5
8th Newcastle x1

and then the rest of his goals

11th Liverpool x3
12th Blackpool x2
14th Everton x1
17th Birmingham x4
20th West Ham x1

So he's scored against 3 teams in the top half and against 5 in the bottom half

Soldato
Cheers, that's fair enough I suppose apart from the lack of goals vs the very best sides, then again he didn't start against Arsenal iirc and hasn't played Chelsea yet.

Associate
Had this argument already :rolleyes:

Berbatov - 19 league goals scoring in 9 games
Tevez - 14 league goals scoring in 9 games

Berbatov has scored in just as many games as any of the other leading goal scorers, he's just scored more

As said, Berbatov may be top scorer, but that's irrelevent if he goes missing for huge portions of games. As a consequence, he shouldn't be considered as POTY.

Soldato
OP
As said, Berbatov may be top scorer, but that's irrelevent if he goes missing for huge portions of games. As a consequence, he shouldn't be considered as POTY.

We're top of the league, unbeaten and I've just proven that he's scored in just as many games as the second highest scorer Tevez and if you really want the third highest scorer Carroll. If Berbatov shouldn't be considered then neither should Tevez or any other striker in the league

Back
Top Bottom