Best, Most potential and worst signings of 2010-2011 season.

Man of Honour
Ok, this is rather more complicated than it needs to be, but for the purpose of this argument I am going to define "best signing" as "best value".

Carroll cost 35 million pounds, he is striker, 35 million pounds is I would say considered to be top whack for a world class striker, let alone Carroll (not including Chelsea and City mental spending).

Lets pick the 7th highest premier league scorer of all time, Teddy Sheringham, he has scored 147 prem goals, and isnt considered to be one of the best strikers the league has ever seen (to make it fair), Carroll has 13 prem goals to his name so far (from what I can see) he has the rest of his career to score 134 more league goals to even be considered an a handy striker, he you want to talk about him being one of the top strikers, you are going to need another 30 goals on that total.

If you want to compare him in terms of the actual money spent, he is going to need to be scoring 20 goals a season for the next 13 years before he can be considered a value signing.

Or if its not shear amount of goals, he is going to need to be scoring better than a goal in two for the rest of his top flight career.

Carroll isnt in the best signing category in the list though, he is in the potential category. If he was in the best signing category I might agree with you, but he isnt :)

His potential , imo, is precisely the same as the potential that Shearer had when his transfer broke the british record (I am not going to talk actual money values as the actual figures arent relative from one decade to the next). Whether he fulfils the potential is yet to be seen, Shearer did, but many havent fulfilled their potential, as I say...right now...today, I am not going to make it black and white and state that he will or he wont.

Soldato
Its worth noting who he's scored against, 2 against Stoke, 2 against West brom, 3 against Wigan, 1 against Blackburn, 1 against West ham, then one against Liverpool and one against Everton.

Actually His 12 league goals have come like this;

3 against Wigan
3 against Stoke
2 against West Brom
1 against Liverpool
1 against Everton
1 against Blackpool
1 against West Ham

His other 7 goals have come against

2 against Chelsea
2 against Marseille
1 against Valencia
1 against Wolves
1 against Southampton

But by all means leave out his goals in the Champions League to flip your 'argument'

Caporegime
A handful? I'd say all, bar Meireles who has been superb, have been awful.

Cole - Had a few injuries but his general level of play has been poor as have his fitness levels. Looks like a player that's got a salary he can sit back and relax on.

Jones - Got nothing against him but when the supporters of the club you buy a player from all celebrate when he's gone you know something's not quite right.

Poulsen - We bought Mascherano who kept Sissoko out of the team meaning he moved to Juventus and subsequently kept Pouslen out of their team. We then sold Mascherano and decided to sign the player that wasn't as good as the one we sold to Juventus because he wasn't as good as the one we signed to replace him.

Konchesky - Signed to replace a far better player who was sent out on loan with only a year left on his contract despite saying he wanted to stay. Worst left back I can ever remember playing for us and not even close to being Premiership quality. His mum's a **** as well.

Could probably get some more signings in there :p

Meireles has been pretty good this season, and Suaez hasn't been bad. Other then that :(

Soldato
Could easily combat his argument by listing all of the top teams his favourite United player Berbatov has scored against this season ;)

True, I suspect most of Tevez & Drogba's goals have come against teams outside of the top 7 as well. That's just the way it goes, you're bound to score more goals against the lesser teams than you are the better ones - a point seemed lost on him

Don
Two early to judge him, and Carroll, but he plays exactly like Torres did for us when he was on form. Just needs to add goals to his play and he'll be the perfect replacement.

Really? I'd say he's far more involved in the game than Torres ever was. He's popping up every where and involved one way or another in nearly all our attacks.

He does need to score more but his goals and assists stats don't do his performances justice. Yesterday was a perfect example; officially he only got 1 assist yet he played a huge part in 2 of our other goals and even the attack for our first goal came from a Suarez burst into the box.

Caporegime
Really? I'd say he's far more involved in the game than Torres ever was. He's popping up every where and involved one way or another in nearly all our attacks.
Meant the way he runs at players with the ball rather than how involved with our play he is. Always looks to take on his man and get in the box which is something Torres is a master of when on form.

Man of Honour
Actually His 12 league goals have come like this;

3 against Wigan
3 against Stoke
2 against West Brom
1 against Liverpool
1 against Everton
1 against Blackpool
1 against West Ham

His other 7 goals have come against

2 against Chelsea
2 against Marseille
1 against Valencia
1 against Wolves
1 against Southampton

But by all means leave out his goals in the Champions League to flip your 'argument'

Indeed. It's only DM and Cheets who have said otherwise and one is a clueless, obsessive drone and the other is a thug and not a football fan.

So I stand by what I said, long may his superb form continue :)

Don
Meant the way he runs at players with the ball rather than how involved with our play he is. Always looks to take on his man and get in the box which is something Torres is a master of when on form.

I see. I certainly agree with that. What made Torres great was his directness; like you say, whenever he got the ball his first thought was to attack the box.

There's certainly an element of that in Suarez's game too but I think he's got a lot more to his game. Because of the way he plays (for us anyway), I'd be shocked if he ever scores the sort of goals Torres did, but for the same reason I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved in more goals in total that Torres was.

Soldato
Raul Meireles for me.

Looks a bit like Steve McMahon, would have been the perfect foil for that great team liverpool had at the back end of the 80's... he looks a liverpool player, the Barnes, Molby ect...

I like the guy a lot, looked decent enough playing under the former manager, realy kicked on under daglishes tender, should kick on even better with a fresh go at it next season.

Caporegime
Disagree with David Luiz as best

9z8jN

Caporegime
:confused:

Luiz has been immense and will only get better, Suarez is being massively overhyped at the moment IMO, only 2 goals so far? Definitely deserves to be on the potential list.

I meant if Luiz has been on that list then Suarez must be too, mind you Luiz is still pretty rash and will **** up in a big game some day i reckon.

Suarez hasn't been overhyped.
Judge him on his goals if u want, go look at his assists and his actual general play.

Don
Raul Meireles for me.

Looks a bit like Steve McMahon....

Admittedly McMahon joined Liverpool before I was born but I've seen enough footage of him to find that a strange comparison.

Meireles gets around the pitch very well, much like McMahon but that's where the similarities end for me. Meireles is a far more cultured player who makes clever runs and clever passes, with the only criticism (I have) of him being the question mark over his willingness to get 'stuck in' in games that we're not dominating (which is why I suspect he's playing further forward under Dalglish). McMahon on the otherhand based his game around direct, powerful running and no nonsense tackling.

Caporegime
He's not at all bad, and he's done very well but theres a few things to keep in mind, Raul and RVN have done brilliantly through entire careers, Raul has one less goal, a few extra appearances at a far worse team and he's about eleventy billion years old.

Its worth noting who he's scored against, 2 against Stoke, 2 against West brom, 3 against Wigan, 1 against Blackburn, 1 against West ham, then one against Liverpool and one against Everton.

Its not exactly a list of scoring highly against the best teams in the world, he's made 40 appearances this season, a lot as subs but he's also got a fair few games starting and has been used in other competitions a lot.

He's not even close to being considered one of the best in the world, let alone THE best, serious potential but, see how he does in a year, or two, when the league knows who he is and learns to watch out for him. He might be great, he might be a one season wonder.

Valencia, Champions League.

Suggest you watch before continuing down this tack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ZkA-YGfHg

also note that these goals werent all in like 5-0 wins against stoke for instance, as we won that game 2-1 thanks to 2 from hernandez... Beat valencia 1-0 thanks to hernandez.

2 against Marseille..

Back
Top Bottom