BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Actually watched the spa race in the pub, Or should I say tried to?

Not keen on the idea tbh, I like to cabbage out in front of my tv listening to all the detail I can get from Martin and David and sometimes even have the live timing up on the laptop.

Just hoping some streaming sites or the like pop up next year.

Soldato
While I am really not happy with the BBC/Sky arrangement there is a slight plus for me, my local is going to be showing the races Sky shows (recorded and shown at 1pm)so I have an excuse to spend an entire Sunday afternoon down t'pub

Will you be able to hear the commentary though, which is just as important as the pictures.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well i guess the bbc is going more corperate every day, they are now deleting all the f1 comments from choens blog and have closed it to further comments.

Caporegime
Travesty? They made a sensible commercial decision based on the preferences of the majority of their viewers.

sensible commercial decision my backside.

When you look at the amount of money they spend elsewhere on ****

like trying to compete with X Factor

Its not a sensible commercial decision at all. Its just some eejit at the top has decided that making drivel is more important than keeping F1 free to view for all.

Soldato
The BBC are desperate to compete with XFactor and it would appear that only a talent show can do this. This is the reason why they have paid so much for the talent show.

It's a ratings battle.

Soldato
sensible commercial decision my backside.

When you look at the amount of money they spend elsewhere on ****

like trying to compete with X Factor

Its not a sensible commercial decision at all. Its just some eejit at the top has decided that making drivel is more important than keeping F1 free to view for all.

So it's a bad commercial decision because you like F1 and don't like reality TV? Unfortunately, most of the viewing population would think differently, and the BBC have to cater for those.

How anyone can blame the BBC for this is ridiculous, Ecclestone, sure, but the BBC!?

Caporegime
The BBC are desperate to compete with XFactor and it would appear that only a talent show can do this. This is the reason why they have paid so much for the talent show.

It's a ratings battle.
But why is it a ratings battle? The BBC dont advertise so they dont get revenue that way like ITV etc do so audience numbers dont matter that way.

Its also not an original show so if (and it already has been) its syndicated abroad the BBC see nothing from the proceeds either. Things like Doctor Who makes the Beeb a lot of money overseas...

If its to do with fulfilling its charter than it, no doubt, has plenty of other programming that targets that particular demographic already.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
This is the point

The BBC is funded by license fee. It should not care about audience numbers, because its about providing a service.

Thats why it continues to offer BBC Three and BBC Four, not to mention the wide range of digital radio stations, some of which barely anybody listens too.

Because its a public service.

If they are going to apply modern business principles and look at everything objectively, they should start doing so elsewhere in the business. But the current board had made it plain they won't and the BBC music stations will stay despite their terrible listener figures.

Soldato
I'm sure that the person who made the decision to buy "the voice", have a boss to answer to.

During their meetings/appraisals, it would be a considerable boon to be able to say that we took on ITV in a ratings war and won. This shows that the programs we have chosen to air are what "the people" (read: license fee payers), want.

If they spend £10M on a program that nobody watches, there would surely be hell to pay and the person who made that decision could get demoted or asked to leave their post.

Remember, these are large sums of money and ratings are VERY IMPORTANT for any TV station.

Soldato
This is the point

The BBC is funded by license fee. It should not care about audience numbers, because its about providing a service.

Thats why it continues to offer BBC Three and BBC Four, not to mention the wide range of digital radio stations, some of which barely anybody listens too.

Because its a public service.

If they are going to apply modern business principles and look at everything objectively, they should start doing so elsewhere in the business. But the current board had made it plain they won't and the BBC music stations will stay despite their terrible listener figures.

But as you say viewer/listener figures shouldn't count. So why do they continue to produce 'popular' rubbish? - because it's cheap. Sadly F1 is not cheap. I'm planning on getting a satellite dish pointed at some European stations and get the EU F1 coverage then listen to radio 5 Live Sports Extra.

Andi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom